What CDs are you bringing to Headphone World Tour?
Jun 13, 2002 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
i am very excited about the headphone world tour coming to my area this sunday and can't wait to hear the blessed orpheus and max and hp4 and..

however, i'm wondering what albums people are bringing (or have brung) to the show to audition music with. so far my list includes:
  1. portishead - live at roseland
  2. radiohead - amnesiac
  3. princess mononoke soundtrack
  4. pink floyd - wish you were here
  5. tori amos - boys for pele
  6. miles davis - kind of blue (remaster)

i'm trying to include a variety of things, but i'm afraid my selection for classical and jazz isn't very vast. anybody else have some suggestions? please list out what you're going to bring or what you brought so that we all may have a decent audition as the tour continues!

Jun 13, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 21
i'm probably bringing whatever is in heavy rotation that week
wink.gif

tom waits' blood money is turning into a reference disc for me (the speed and inner detail of "knife chase" is fantastic), and radiohead's kid a, joni mitchell's blue (dcc remaster), and louis armstrong's complete hot five and hot seven recordings set usually get airtime during any audition. in my opinion, components either get the rich texture of kid a, the fat guitar and sensual voice of joni mitchell, and the drum work of jazz right, or terribly wrong.

nice list by the way, as always.

Jun 13, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Sunday is the new york meet, I don't know how this bring your own Cds bit is going to work since, they only have few sources, 2 or 3.

i have no idea whatsoever as to how many people are going to show up, but yeah me bringing cds could be totally irrelevant. i assumed that we were to bring our own cds if we wished, but as i've never been to an audio convention (of any kind!) i really don't know.

Quote:

I will bring some reference classical HDCDs.

thanks for adding to the list..
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

. i assumed that we were to bring our own cds if we wished

I asked this in the thread for it and got no answer. I've been wondering this for a long time. I think I'll bring a bunch of stuff anyway. I'll probably bring NOFX -- The Decline, my recording of Il Trovatore, some Lionel Hampton, and maybe Nirvana Unplugged.

Jun 13, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 21
There was no problem listening to your own music at the Chicago show. People did get engrossed and left it only to return from another display and switch it out. All in all it was quite amiable.

I brought Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat"

Tyll has a very large collection that he brings as well. He has some favorites that were used to demonstrate the capabilities and differences between amps and headphones. In his pocket he carries a cable so that you may hook up your portable source to the MG Head or other amps on that rack. Just ask it is a very relaxed no pressure atmosphere.

Jun 14, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 21
but if you use of the main sources, wouldn't everyone be force to listen to your CDs? Unless, you do the portable bit.

Quote:

thanks for adding to the list..

no problem!
tongue.gif

Well, I am not sure just what I will bring, but two of them will be

Eiji Oue - Mephisto & Co (Reference Recording)
Eiji Oue - Respighi (Reference Recording)

Jun 14, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
but if you use of the main sources, wouldn't everyone be force to listen to your CDs? Unless, you do the portable bit.

In Chicago no one seemed to care when the music was changed. While there were people there throughout the show listening it wasn't like waiting in line at a ball game to get something to eat. I was there for the whole show and never noticed a problem. People would ask the others near if they minded changing cds for a bit, everyone would say OK and they would swap them out.

Jun 14, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 21
I can't wait!

Probably Radiohead. I'm not sure which one though. I'm thinking OK Computer. . . but what about Kid A? I love track 7/8 on OK computer, you know, "this is the pentagon. Section 117 may have been hit. Activate the following procedures"

I like it when I can hear that well.

I'll also bring Brubeck's Time Out. I know the first track like the back of my hand.

Also, Holst The planets.

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

If I have time to learn it: System of a down

Jun 14, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 21
The only thing people were really waiting in line for at the Boston meet was to hear the Etymotics -- and most of the people in line weren't Head-Fiers (well, except Grancasa and Edwinaviles
wink.gif
).

I brought this music with me, though I didn't listen to all of it there:

Two CDs of Beethoven's String Quartets on EMI
Miles Davis' Kind of Blue
Mozart string quartets and quintets
Mahler Symphony no.7
Thelonious Monk's Live at the "It" Club
Bojan Zulfikarpasic -- Solobsession (HDCD) (no listens unfortunately)

It seemed pretty easy to switch the music inside. To tell the truth, I really didn't like the music Tyll was using to test the equipment -- he put in bad recordings to show how the Blockhead revealed more than the Orpheus. I don't think that's a fair test -- I don't listen bassy elevator music when I'm sitting in my room, I listen to music that I actually like.

It may be a good idea to bring your own stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Polygon
I don't know if I can even go! Will this be stopping in my meek little state of Utah?

Salt Lake City
Monday July 8th, 5-9pm
Courtyard by Marriott Sandy
10701 S Holiday Park Drive
Sandy, UT 84070
1-801-571-3600

Jun 14, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb

Salt Lake City
Monday July 8th, 5-9pm
Courtyard by Marriott Sandy
10701 S Holiday Park Drive
Sandy, UT 84070
1-801-571-3600

HOLY CRAP! Something good that comes to Utah, thi doesn't happen very often. I am not a big headphone person. All my sets would be utter crap compared to what you guys use. I have been interested in getting into it though. This gives me a good opportunity.

*runs off to rumage through CD collection*

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 21
Polygon: LOL!

As for what I'm bringing (not just music):

iPod, Bag, portable META42

Desktop META42

2 Hansen board amps, one running off a 12V cell phone battery

Cables

Etys

Engineer's Choice II, John Eargle's "my favorite test tracks" CD

Time Warp, a collection of SF-type tunes (Also Sprach Zarathustra, the Star Trek theme song, etc)

Mahler, symphonies 1 & 2

Pink Floyd: Echoes and The Wall

Dvorak: The New World Symphony

some Gershwin

Rossini: Il Barbiere di Siviglia

Itzhak Perlman's Greatest Hits

the Good Burger Soundtrack (just kidding...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back