What CD Should I Buy
Nov 9, 2002 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

blip

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm feeling the need to buy a new CD, but I can't decide which one.

I've narrowed it down to:

Massive Attack : Protection
Bjork : Homogenic
Portishead : PNYC
Everything But The Girl : Walking Wounded
Everything But The Girl : Amplified Heart
A Tribe Called Quest : Midnight Marauders
Dj Shadow : Endtroducing

I'm leaning towards either Protection or Walking Wounded because I've been doing a lot of listening to MP3s of a couple of there tracks. But what I've heard of the others has been fairly impressive as well.

Anyone have a suggestion about which one I should get?

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Oh my god.

I can't tell you how much Walking Wounded and Amplified Heart mean to me. In a nutshell, if I never heard those two, I would be so much less impressive a human being than I am today
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'm allowed to be so tacky: they did amazing, amazing things to my soul.

But that would also mean I'm biased, so despite also owning Protection, I can't recommend anything
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 14
Bjork is always good. I'm not sure what songs are on that album though. I think I my favorite bjork song is human behaviour. Anyone seen the video for it? I'ts pretty wild.
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Massive Attack: Protection is what I'd go with. It's just one of those must have albums. In fact, you've just inspired me to pop it in now.

I'd consider endtroducing to be on that level as well. So would the tribe album...really all the albums you listed are great. Pick any one and you can't go wrong.

Nov 10, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mlchang
I'd consider endtroducing to be on that level as well. So would the tribe album...really all the albums you listed are great. Pick any one and you can't go wrong.

I know... That's the problem with good taste.... It makes decisions hard!
biggrin.gif

Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. I really appreciate it. After long and hard thought I think I'll pick up Walking Wounded and Protection. (I know, I know, I'm breaking the one CD rule.) Hopefully after I get some money later this month, I'll get a chance to pick up Endtroducing too. (I have an MP3 of Now Approaching Midnight that is recieving HEAVY playtime on my system.)

Thanks again. Glad to hear that there are some other head-fiers out there that have similar musical tastes to me.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 14
I was in your situation recently and I sold about 15 of my old crappy CDs so I wouldn't have to choose. Now I'm finally rid of all my jr. high school nu-metal and up a few more DJ Spooky CDs.

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 14
I can listen to Walking Wounded from start to finish without skipping any tracks. The sparse instrumentation (the interplay of acoustic guitar and minimoog riffs is ********* brilliant) and Tracey's voice just lifts this album to another level. Great pick blip. This is for me, EBTG's masterpiece before they embraced electronica.

Get Midnight Marauders next.

If you're into DJ Shadow, check out one of his side projects with James Lavelle called UNKLE.

Nov 14, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
I was in your situation recently and I sold about 15 of my old crappy CDs so I wouldn't have to choose. Now I'm finally rid of all my jr. high school nu-metal and up a few more DJ Spooky CDs.

I did that when I was about your age, when I got into the punk rock and hardcore I sold or gave away all my old Metallica albums, etc.

Most of the Metallica albums were the excellent gold remasters sold in the early 90's, too.
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Go with homogenic. you know you want it, and it's a classic (in some circles).

darkwolf: track list is:
1. hunter
2. joga
3. unravel
4. bachelorette
5. all neon like
6. 5 years
7. immature
8. alarm call
9. pluto
10. all is full of love

my favorites are 5 years, bachelorette, unravel, joga, hunter, and 5 years. in that order. one of my favorite songs of all time is a remix of all is full of love.

oh, and yea, the human behaviour video is pretty trippy. michelle gondry (the director) has a real interesting style. gondry also did some stuff with daft punk, whos videos i also adore. if you get a chance, track down the DVD with all of bjork's music videos on it. some neat stuff from gondry, spike jonze, and other notables.

Nov 17, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 14
I also vote for Homogenic, it's one of those albums where you're never pressing skip to get through the crappy songs - cuz it's all hits!

The 'All is Full of Love' video is INCREDIBLE! The first time I watched it, I didn't know what to feel: should I cry? Be afraid? Be shocked? Or just be turned on! So confusing... I couldn't function or think for a good part of the day.

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa

The 'All is Full of Love' video is INCREDIBLE! The first time I watched it, I didn't know what to feel: should I cry? Be afraid? Be shocked? Or just be turned on! So confusing... I couldn't function or think for a good part of the day.

Yes, I particularly liked the video too (and that's the remix that I was speaking of). You should check out Bjork's other videos if you get the chance. There is a DVD out with all of them on it (Volumen).

Most people who I show the video to are like... "umm... what did you just show me robot **** for?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back