What causes ear fatigue?
Feb 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lifeisbeautiful

New Head-Fier
I have been using a Klipsch Image X10 IEM for many years without any issues.. Then, I wanted to try closed Over ear headphones and bought the B&O H6 and B&W P7. The plan is to keep the one I like and return the other.
I've been A/B ing these 2 headphones for a week now. I've ended up with a lot of ear fatigue.. Not sure which one of them is causing that.. From what it looks like, the P7 has more bass.. but the H6 is plenty bright.. 
Does the bass cause the fatigue or the bright H6? 

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 12
The pressure wave from the bass can cause fatigue as well as treble found at 1.5kHz, 3kHz, and typically at 7kHz although this varies from listener to listener due to physiology. Some people are so sensitive to bass that it can make them dizzy, but in most cases fatigue is caused by either too high of volume or too much treble.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 12
also prolonged listening. imo too much treble or bass or peaky sound doesn't make much difference if you listen it at the same comfortable volume.

I listen at 80-90 db and ZERO fatigue induced by Yamaha HS7 speakers listening 2 feet away.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 12
could be some spike in the frequency response of one. it could be that because you were testing, you just spent more time listening than usual. most likely louder than usual too, to try and notice stuff.
we probably won't be able to solve your problem for you, just rest for a day or 2 and then use only one and see what happens with normal listening.

also going back and forth between headphones or IEMs IMO isn't a very good method aside from trying to notice differences. you're not letting your brain get used to the new sound so you don't know if it will and if you'll like it, or other things like physical discomfort, or listening fatigue...

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 12
I've noticed spikes in the frequency response are not as fatiguing as resonances/ringing. Some headphones/drivers have fundamental resonances and they keep moving after a certain frequency, you can see this in the decay graphs. Many headphones resonate in the subs area but there's also many that will resonate above the 1k area and there it will become fatiguing.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 12
  The pressure wave from the bass can cause fatigue as well as treble found at 1.5kHz, 3kHz, and typically at 7kHz although this varies from listener to listener due to physiology. Some people are so sensitive to bass that it can make them dizzy, but in most cases fatigue is caused by either too high of volume or too much treble.

Yeah, I hate 4-6 KHz spikes like hell. Ear canal naturally amplifies 3 to 4 KHz (depending on size and form) and some manufacturers stay ignorant of this fact when measuring curves. Can't listen to my Samson SR850 without -15db at 4 KHz.

May 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 12
Modern pop/rock recordings cause fatigue. The loudness and sometimes distortion with lack of dynamics can be very tiring to listen to if you can even put up with the poor sound.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 12

Too much of the good stuff. :smile_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back