What Cables for Audeze LCD-2?
Jul 23, 2010 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

Frihed89

1000+ Head-Fier
I know about ALO, Whiplash and Moon.  Are there other cables?

The ALO cables are being well-covered on another thread.

Has anyone tried and have any comments on other cables for these headphones?

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 160
I don't know of any other offerings, but I might have to give a Whiplash cable a go with my forthcoming LCD-2's.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 160
I bought one (Zeus) from Robert at Aphrodite Cu29 that I'm pleased with. It's a balanced shotgun configuration that uses Wireworlds DNA Helix cable. It's very light, comfortable to wear, and the construction quality is excellent. The sonics are far better then the stock cable, and at a great price to boot. 

I haven't heard the ALO cable, one day I hope to compare them.

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 160

Quote:
I bought one (Zeus) from Robert at Aphrodite Cu29 that I'm pleased with. It's a balanced shotgun configuration that uses Wireworlds DNA Helix cable. It's very light, comfortable to wear, and the construction quality is excellent. The sonics are far better then the stock cable, and at a great price to boot. 

I haven't heard the ALO cable, one day I hope to compare them.

Thanks Santacore.  What is the wire material in yours?  I was hit with information overload an their web-site?

How is the sound quality different from the stock cable?

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 160
My cable is made of Ohno Continuous Cast Copper. I agree his website is confusing, here is a direct link: http://aphroditecu29.com/Zeus/OCC_Copper_Headphone_Cable.aspx

There is a noticeable difference between the stock cable. The new cable is smoother, more open, and has better bass. Basically a top to bottom improvement. Overall I find these headphones to be very revealing of any cable/equipment changes in a system. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 160
Thanks.  It looks like it would be in the price range of the ALO cables.  I'll contact Robert.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 160
My alternative is to use an 11' length of Audio Note (UK) AN-Vx IC cable.  Audio Note says this will work.  But that was pretty expensive cable, even used.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 160

Quote:
Thanks.  It looks like it would be in the price range of the ALO cables.  I'll contact Robert.

Mine was a less then the ALO cable. Give Robert a shout, he's usually quick to respond.

Another option would be to build your own. I know at least one other Head-Fi'er built one out of pre-braided solid silver cable from Home Grown Audio. That would probably be a great option, as good quality solid silver would probably sound nice with these phones.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 160
My perference would be moon-audio's or a pure sound's cable. I want a bit of silver in it because I listen to a lot of classical music and am not searching to warm it up with copper at all. ALO's gets good reviews but I'm not sure the value is there IMO. (But considering custom 3rd party cables for headphones is already an insane topic for those outside the hobby to each his own!)

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 160
Since I already have 11' of Audio note Vx silver litz cable that is what I am going to try first.  Ill simply re-terminate it with 2 Mini XLR plugs at one end and a 1/4" headphone plug at the other.  This is an outstanding IC cable; so is the AN-Lexus cable which is copper litz and costs about 1/2 of the Vx, although neither is cheap. I have both, but they are not used with headphones.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 160

Quote:
Since I already have 11' of Audio note Vx silver litz cable that is what I am going to try first.  Ill simply re-terminate it with 2 Mini XLR plugs at one end and a 1/4" headphone plug at the other.  This is an outstanding IC cable; so is the AN-Lexus cable which is copper litz and costs about 1/2 of the Vx, although neither is cheap. I have both, but they are not used with headphones.

If the cable is not too heavy or thick it should work well. Just be aware that the mini xlr's are very small and difficult to wire. I re-terminated an old Moon Audio Silver Dragon a few weeks ago, and the mini xlr portion was a bit tricky. That said, if you're able to manage it, I'm sure it will sound good. You'll enjoy a nice step up from the stock cable for little money. Let us know how it turns out.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 160

Quote:
@santacore So you're going with silver ICs with the LCD2? I'm leaning that way. APS' hybrid might hit the sweet spot price wise tho.  

No. I re-terminated and tried the Moon Audio Silver Dragon while waiting for my Wireworld cable. The Moon cable was a step up, but the WW was much better. 

My point was that judging by the Moons performance, quality silver could be a good option.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 160
WW is an all silver line IIRC? But I don't know how to reterminate these things myself (and learning to DIY is behind a long list of other things I'd like to take time to learn). I'll keep WW in mind tho since classical performance is a high priority for my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back