What cable for Sony SA5000?
Mar 24, 2006 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

daler

Head-Fier
I'm using a Gilmore Lite Headphone Amplifier -> Emu-1212M

What cable should I look into getting for recabling my SA5000?
I'm "hoping" for a cable recommendation under $100, but I'm definitely up for any suggestions you all can give.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Do you plan to do the soldering yourself or do you want someone else to do it?

In the latter case, the total cost will definitely be more than $100. I would send a PM to grandenigma1; he offered a very reasonable deal when I asked about recabling.

Also, what do you want to improve in your SA5000? ... a source/amp/headphone change might be better depending on what you seek.

[size=x-small]p.s. Good luck in your Quake4 campaign.[/size]

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks some1x for the reply.
My sony sa5000's are currently rendered useless due to the doomed cable problems. First it was the y-piece, i got that resoldered and fixed... and for some reason, within the next 2 weeks the left ear cup started going in/out randomly with the slightest touch. It is definitely a wire problem and not one of the drivers.

So I'm currently looking for options, I would hope to spend less than $100, and infact plan to unless theres a really good reason to spend more. But more importantly, is there a place that sells good headphone cable in local stores? If at all, I might bite the bullet and get an original sa5000 cable recabled back on from moon-audio.

My amp/soundcard are great as everything goes, I just want these sony's to be back up and running... and hopefully for good!
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 12
I would like to put in my vote for getting them fixed by [AK]Zip. I just recently had my SA5K recabled by him because of the infamous cable problems! He is a great guy to deal with. He has some cables that go for under $100 including the workmanship. He has had multiple experiences with recabling the SA5K as a matter of fact.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Venio

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 12
I was plagued with the cable issue too but I was on a very limited budget. So I recabled using Mogami W2893 Miniature Quad. The copper is OFC like the stock cable and it is very flexible. Still waiting for it to break in before I make any assessment.

BTW, what do people think of putting a Cardas 4 x 24 AWG cable (bulk version of the Cardas Senn cable) on the SA5K's? Would it warm it up a bit?

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by daler
mrdon, thanks for the link. How is flexibility, are there any problems that you have experienced?

The Mogami mini quad is very flexible and (unlike the stock cable) non-microphonic.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 12
yeah i spoke with drew from moon-audio over email. He was very fast to reply and was nice enough to answer some of my questions. I guess I'm not too thrilled to spend the kind of money on cardas/bluedragon/blackdragon just yet. I've personally never heard a recabled headphone and its hard to justify the price for it.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
$100 for a recable!? Wow, I guess the recable guy is walking away with some hefty profits there...

Actually, the cables ARE quite expensive themselves.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 12
I just want to keep things in perspective.
First, Sony should be ashamed of this engineering feat.
mad.gif

SA5Krepair.jpg

Yup, that is what you find under the plastic y-connector. Can you believe this is a $350-$400 headphone with a spliced cable?
confused.gif
It is not like Sony could not afford a 4 conductor cable!

My conclusion...any replacement cable has got to be better than the stock cable. In the end, it is worth every red cent whether they cost $.53/ft. to DIY or $100+ for a pro to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back