what brands to search for on craigslist and other craig's tips
Feb 26, 2010 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, i wrote a ****-load. a part of me wants to appologize. a part of me wants to weep for putting so much of my good ideas into something so ******* long and ugly that few will probably read, but i'll say this:

1. i won't hold it against you if you don't read, but A. read this here at the top, and B. you should read it, it's ugly but i know what i'm talking about
2. can you suggest to me some brands of speakers and of recievers i should search on craigslist? especially old brands with the speakers; need floorstanders and a reciever that has a good DAC and amp, and needs a remote; and i need some nice floorstanders to go with it
3. any advice you have on how to learn to build a webpage is greatly appreciated. one of the many ideas that i never flushed out below is that i want to be able call-in my job
wink.gif
i want to telecommute and work for myself. writing, investing, websites, ebay re-selling, and maybe get a little job for a callcenter that hires people from their homes (advice there too would be appreciated); becomes i'm very sick and may well stay that way, i have to adjust the plans for my life. this chronic lyme disease has taken everything from me and replaced it with horrific pain, suffering, loss, etc.

peace bitches

so i have a few purposes here

1: like to make a list of brands to search craigslist for. something that you could just copy paste into the search bar. because craig's is so backwards in the minnute ways you can actually find anything, i find that the only way to go is to search brand names. then i usually also click "title only" if i'm searching one name at a time; but i figure if we put together a list of brand names of audio equipment, then we can save it in a file, and just copy/paste it into craig's. i'll even make a toolbar bookmark so i can do the search on a reg basis (because, again, craigs only sorts by date)..............the next post will have an updated list...........might even be good for a sticky, plugged onto someone elese's sticky

2. i want to start a website which would basically be a better craigslist plus more; basically, everyone uses craigs for local stuff. there's nothing else right now out there. but it's really lacking. the search features, as mentioned above, are abismal. i would have lots of categories, options for search result listings, all sorts of things. also, i would have locations differentiated into cities, and for big cities, it would be even smaller chunks. so instead of "electronics" section only, you'd have within that "speakers, heaphones, amps, etc etc......" lots of categories. also it would look better, probably would have a minimal amount of advertising (i subscribe very fully to the notion that advertisting is fine, as long as it is subtle, doesn't get in your way, is towards what you're looking at anyway etc. ........google showed that this is how it's done; anyway, i have never designed a webpage before, and this would be a big project, but i would start with my area that i live in in orange county, CA, and move out from there. also, what you'd need (that craig doesn't have) is a good amount of policing to knock out all the spam and the adds by businesses that take up whole pages on craigs.....and as it would get more popular, that would be more imporant, and would eventually need to hire admins to police. i'd be really appreciative if anyone would give me advice on how to start the process of learning how to build a website; what books to read, if i need to take courses etc. i am a computer pro-user, quick learner, fast typer, but am not an engineer, not a programmer; but glad to learn

basically i feel that craigs was a great idea when it started. and it still is, but they haven't improved it like it needs,deserves; everyone uses it, there's so many posts that you can't find what you want because there's no sorting; and also i envision a slightly broader scope (or at least everything being useful, and the best place to find everything local

like i envision the dating area to be more than just personal ads. i'd want it to be the definitive dating sight for local people: which just about means the definitive site period; or at least, the definitive simple site, free or nearly free if it becomes good enough; of course most everything would be free, but i can see charging a very little for job postings, date-site entry etc. everything from hook-ups to relationships. i'm not envisioning a complex system, but for every category, i'm simply envisioning something:
1. simple, straightforward
2. many categories and options, ways to narrow things down big time
3. the one-stop online for everything local; finding farmers markets, giving away free stuff, bartering, selling and buying, job listings; reviews of professioals: doctors, laywers, businesses, etc. (especailly the people, i don't see outdoing google when it comes to google-maps' way of telling you peoples' reviews of shops

anyway, i'm blabbing on here, and hijacking my own thread, but i'm excited about this, i think if i can make it happen, it will work, that it wouldn't take much to outdue craigslist, but that there's a huge danger for them to wake up, steel my ideas, and kill me off; therefore, the one thing that i really need is a killer app, ideally something i can copyright, but at least something special that only i have

regardless, i am pretty sure i am going to try and do this. i want to get into the world of web business. i'm a writer, and until my novel comes out, gets published, and becomes the next harry potter
wink.gif
.....i have some ends to meet. i have a chonic illness, lyme disease, and i've been disabled for six years. however, because there is a horrific denial going of of the existance fo this illness, i have been denied social security disability

jesus, h-chirst i'm writing way to ****ing much. i'm killing my own thread, but i don't care, i can't help myself, and i beieve pretty damn strongly that though i'm using way too many words, and killing your brains with walls of text ,that i am on the right track

..........anyway, i'm thinking of calling my site "local list" or some derevation therof. i just want to make a one-stop website to bring together everything about your local environment in the real world: classifieds, personals, jobs, events, just absolutely anything, and i want it to be simple, intuitive, usable, functional, detailed, and attractive, and i think that it really doesn't take that much these days to do that, it's just so EASY to do it wrong. MS is the perfect example of that, yahoo too. and they simply can't see that theyr'e doing it wrong. what i was saying about the numbers in the post after this one: you can't objectively varify these things. you can't; too many variables; you just ****ing can't break it down into a formula. you have to actually have vision, to actually be able to see and feel the desires of the people, and to see how to get there. you can't just go: hey, we made tablet pc's for years and they failed, people didn't buy them, so we'll stop makin them, obviously it was a mistake: jesus ****ing christ, you're idiots. only a fool can't see that tablet-pc's are the future. either with a touch-keyboard or a real one, regardless. i mean, c'mon, we see touchscreens on everything. people love them. i love them. why? simple, it just works, it just makes sense; you touch it, you move it where you want it. you throw it over there, you push it here. it just makes sense, and that's what people expect these days. MS just ****ed up the idea, didn't even get there own software like office to support touch-screen (jesus, that's ****ing ridiculously pathetic)

MS has no vision anymore. they haven't created a single item of hardware or software anytime in the recent (or distant) past that has any ounce of inspiration in it. the xbox360 is a good device, but they simply made the things that didn't work, work. good for them; xbox-live i guess would be a bit of an exception where they did something revolutionary, that i would say is an exception, and a good one, but the xbox aint gonna make anyone big bucks, not with sony right there battling every step of the way (and brilliant nintendo, who actually have the vision sitting in the back of the room, creating the cheap, old-hardware devices that people buy because they're just fun (even though i would never want a wii msyelf).......cleaning up.

......but MS has no vision. not like apple or google. for christ's sake, google can't miss. they actually GET IT. and they got it by putting people in charge who have vision, something you can't quantify but just have to HAVE. everything they make is the best of its kind. man. i used mapquest until google maps made it look like ****. i used hotmail until gmail did the same. altavista until google search and image search; i still use pricegrabber half the time and google shopping half the time, i think they could improve that one a good deal, but they probably will, and it'll be the best; and man, google reader, calender, and now GOOGLE VOICE, and android will be great in a year or two, i mean, wholly ****, they jsut ****ing GET IT. and apple has got the ****ing finger on the pulse of the world's LIBIDO. what do i mean? i mean, apple is all about sex. sex? really? yup, sex. apple is sexy. sexy cool. sexiness and coolness are the same thing. same thing. always have been. sexy = cool. apple's devices are sexy. sexy and functional.

and i'll leave you with that the two things you need for a successful piece of hardware or software, the ONLY two things you need:

Usability/Intuitive/Simple/Functional/Easy AND Sexiness/Coolness/Attractiveness/

INTUITIVE AND ATTRACTIVE ......................that's all you need

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 12
audio brands to search craigslist for

headphones

sennheiser grado beyerdynamic akg

speakers

paradigm axiom energy athena

electronics and amps

nad mcintosh

...........i wish there was a public-edit option like fatwallet has, but i'll try to keep this updated myself, or more likely, if no one posts, i'll just forget about it (u see why craigs doesn't work in this day and age and why we need something better?) ................i feel almost the same about craigs that i do about windows: it's wrong for windows to own so much of the marketshare of personal operating systems; because they can dominate it, they can, and have, determined everything about what we can do with personal computers today, shutting out potential competitors who may well have given us something great; the truth is: we have no way of knowing what WE ARE MISSING when it comes to our PC's: maybe if an open source OS had won out, we would now have an app that turns our computer into a belgian waffle maker...............or to put it in real terms, what we'd have is an OS that actually works, with apps that are the best at what they do, not just made by the most monopolistic company; if linux had actually become the number 1 OS, we'd all be running reliable computers, with audio players and video players, and office suites, that work perfectly, give us what we want, not just what they want to sell us. if you actually think about it, this is huge. microsoft did give us major advances in computing, they have done some things right. but i strongly believe that operating systems are too big and important to NOT be open source. i think in the end they have to be. there's just too much connected to the one thing: the OS, that you just can't have ONE company, any company, dictating the way of things to the whole world. think about it, it's really huge. i really think MS has done the world an enormous discervice, not just in what we can see that they have done that is poor, but in the myriad of applications and features and etc. etc. that we could have had, but will never know we're missing.

anyway, craigs is not really like this, but what i meant to say is that they may have been necessary and good before, but they have become outdated and BECAUSE everybody uses the internet, we all NEED and DESERVE a much better website for LOCAL things, that's all i'm saying: in this day and age, the world deserves a much better local website, and craigs has been unwilling to transform into that; because they are decent, free, and their philosophy has been good, and mostly because they are THE place right now, we don't realize what we're missing : )

.................ok, i really didn't mean to shove these text walls into this thread, jesus, i've written way to much, but sometimes you just need to vent and you do, eh? i think i've said a few things worth saying anyway; perhaps not so elequently, but the IDEA of what i'm saying is right isn't it?

.......and i know i'm a bit out of date with the MS comments because linux has become much better, and even more so, apple has become a real competitor. unfortunately apple is hurting linux because it's so good, has lots of the features of linux; stability, etc. and most of all, has the coolest hardware on the planet

OH HERE'S SOMETHING ELSE WITH APPLE: microsoft has basically given up on the tablet-PC model. this shows such an INCREDIBLE amount of ignorance, foolishness, and a complete inability to see anything outside of the NUMBERS, the objective numbers that tell the company if the product works or not. the numbers are bad, the sales are bad, therefore the product does not work, is a bad idea etc. you cannot think this way and be successful in this age. the TRUTH is, the idea of the tablet pc has always been the future, apple is going to show how to do it right with the iPad; if you've read ender's game by orson scott card (and if you haven't: go read it right now, it and the sequels, especially the second one "speaker for the dead", are just wonderful, and very very accessable science fiction)...........you'll note that the ipad resembles just about excactly the idea of "desks" in card's world. we don't have the holographics yet, that, or some type of new projection method in portable devices, is one of the big things i'm waiting for in my lifetime in tech......................anyway, but keep your eye on sci-fi, you'll notice that there's a real correlation between things people envision, and what we actually move towards. here's a big one i always say, for how people's desires in tech have changed dramaticlaly: look at the old star wars films, and look at the new ones; forget the death of your soul that followed the viewing of the prequels (another MS-like example where one delusional man had too much control over something that had grown far beyond the bounds of his now-puny and distorted mind, and if it had been more OPEN, would have benifited greatly)..............anyway, look at it and see that in the old starwars films, there are lots of buttons everywhere, knobs and switches, and such; "hi-tech" was envisioned as "lots of options, lots of transistors, posibilities, options, controls..........more more more"........and look at the prequels; everything is clean, slick, smooth, touch screens, and it's simple. our desires have shifted in tech from "give us more options, possiblities"..............to "we want simple, want it to just work, user friendly, INTUITIVE, attractive, comfortable. in essence, i think perhaps the biggest modern trend change in tech has been the culture's change from wanting excitement and possibilities to wanting safety and comfort. the economy helped this aswell. people are scared, they want safety, comfort, stability, they don't want to be dazzled by the "what-ifs" and the talking paperclips. look at this: at$t 's cellphone devision was called cingular, now they went back to ATT; why? well, i can't say for sure, but what it looks liek to me is a correct assessment of the shift in consumer desires; people now want the safety, security, and reliability of an established brand, isntead of something new and titilizing. my dad works for IBM and their very much about this sort of marketing and image. puts them in a good place in this modern world imho, and they've actually done pretty decent while others failed. the feelings of stability, security, and comfort elicited by a brand like ATT or IBM is what people are looking for.

to sumarize that, i'll say something that i always say about tech: as technology becomes more complex, people will desire more and more simplification in order to understand, use, and enjoy it

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 12
god have mercy on my wall-typing soul; i just want to appologize for my kerouac-styled writing, and i promise that if i edit it, i'll put in some sex, drugs, and road-trips to make it more readable

i just shat this thing out. i just typed it out, stream of conciousness; it's a messy jumble, but i **** you not, there are some gems in there, this kid knows the score

ok, so i might edit this tomorrow but i'm too damn tired. if you read it, i want you to know that i'm giving you a big weet E-kiss on the mouth for being such a cool dude

peace, and please feel free to rag on me for typing so damn much, i welcome it
smily_headphones1.gif

wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
.............................wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh zeppelin rulessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
god have mercy on my wall-typing soul; i just want to appologize for my kerouac-styled writing, and i promise that if i edit it, i'll put in some sex, drugs, and road-trips to make it more readable

i just shat this thing out. i just typed it out, stream of conciousness; it's a messy jumble, but i **** you not, there are some gems in there, this kid knows the score

ok, so i might edit this tomorrow but i'm too damn tired. if you read it, i want you to know that i'm giving you a big weet E-kiss on the mouth for being such a cool dude

peace, and please feel free to rag on me for typing so damn much, i welcome it
smily_headphones1.gif

wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
.............................wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh zeppelin rulessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Decaf anyone?

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Lord have mercy on us all. What in the world was all that??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back