What brand of resistors to be used
Mar 10, 2007 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dumbears

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to DIY a META42. I wonder what resistor I should use? Sb recommended me in using Welwyn resistor (RC55Y/RC55C/MFR4).

Do anyone of you have experience in using these series of resistors? What brand resistors would you recommend?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 15
What brands do you have available at a reasonable price? The Welwyns are supposed to be pretty good (never used them as they aren't available in the US... think they are the same as the IRCs that Mouser sells). Dales are good, typically the RN55/60s are used here, but the CCFs, etc. are also supposed to be fine. I've used BC SRF25s and like them as well. I've also used Roderstein Resistas, but they are discontinued and you can't find all (many) values.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like many people recommend the Vishay Dale RN55's 0.1% for through-hole purposes.

There's no point to 0.1% resistors in a circuit like the META42. Where accuracy matters is in the matching between the channels, not in absolute values within the channels.

If you want 0.1% matching, it's more economical to hand-match them from larger batches of 1% resistors. This is perfectly legitimate for the type of circuits we discuss here. This does require a fairly good meter, but you can pay for it from the savings of around 100 resistors. If you look at it as a way to save money on precision resistors, it's like getting the meter free after a couple of projects.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 15
I just use MRS25 if i can and match them. I don't bother with carbon resistors for non-signal path purposes any longer, the costs aren't much lower compared to metal film any longer to justify this
smily_headphones1.gif

For power purposes i use BC PR0x series due to the relative small dimensions.

Headphone amps aren't situated in high temperature areas, and especially an op-amp based circuit like the META42 shouldn't draw any power in the magnitudes to even require 1/4W resistors.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 15
I use mil-spec metal films for most audio work. RN55DxxxxF generally, RN60 or even RN65 when needed. I've never used the higher tolerance or PPM parts. (RN55CxxxxB etc.)

I use generic 1% metal film resistors for just about everything else. In qty. 200 there just isn't any reason to use 5% or carbon resistors anymore.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, signal path, some might sound better.

"Sound better" by virtue of carbon resistors' high noise and instability? LOL.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 15
different brand resistors with the same specs? probably voodoo.

The only spec other than the obvious (tolerance, temp stability in some circuits, etc.) I would believe to any extent would have an effect on the sound is their noise spec (though its effect is at most probably just barely within the limits of human hearing). Dale RNxxs have the lowest current noise specs I've seen so far. For SMD components, don't count on the Vishay reputation in THM stuff; the standard SMD 1% resistors mouser stocks have pretty bad ratings with respect to this. KOA Speer SMDs (RKxxx series?) seem to have the lowest noise rating I've seen for SMDs, comparable to the vishay RNxx THMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back