What bookshelfs to match my 580s?
Aug 12, 2002 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
I'm speaker shopping and I want something that can sound as good as my Sennheiser HD 580s with Meta 42. Just looking speaker wise right now disregarding reciever what do you think will work? I'm looking at the Axiom M3ti and reviews say they are an excellent value. Anyone can recommend a good pair of bookshelf speakers around $275?

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 17
The Axioms are great speakers. But they won't equal hte meta and 580s. That's one of the reasons headphones are so great. Bang for the buck. You'll have to spend MUCH more for equal performance.

Aug 12, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 17
PSB Alphas have a sound that is much closer to the sound of the Senn HD 580/600 than the Axioms. They won't sound anywhere near as good (no speaker will for that price), but if you like the HD 580, you'll like PSBs.

Aug 12, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 17
If you can go up to $500.

Much much better sounding that the 580.
Cleaner and more natural.

Check this out.

kurresma.gif

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the replies.

I'm afraid $500 is out of my price range though.

I've been looking at some PSB speakers and I saw the Image 2. How are those? It's supposed to be better than the Alphas.

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
I've been looking at some PSB speakers and I saw the Image 2. How are those? It's supposed to be better than the Alphas.

I haven't heard those, fyleow. I have read that they have a slightly different "sound" than the Alpha line, but I can't say from experience whether that's true or not.

Aug 12, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 17
Have you decided not to go with a "Sennheiser-like" speaker?
wink.gif

I ask only because, as I mentioned above, the Axioms don't fit that bill, especially in the treble/mids.

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 17
The Sound Dynamics RTS-3 is my top choice of bookshelf speakers and the speakers i recently purchased...to me they match up quite well with my HD-600, a bit more so than my K1000 as far as sound character (a little dark and tame with absolutely superb quality sound)...at only $200 its a steal but you best act fast if you want these speakers since they are being discontinued...I am completely satisfied with them...On the down side, as with all bookshelf speakers you will need a subwoofer to fill in the lowest freqs but they do fine without a sub as well....Also consider the sound character you get from a particular speaker varies depending on the acoustics of your room...if your like me you'll probably end up doing more and more listening on the RTS-3s than the 580s...they're that good...
smily_headphones1.gif

RTS-3

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 17
Holy crap that is a lot of speakers I'm going to have to check out. I was also looking at the B&W DM303s....why can't picking speakers be as easy as headphones
frown.gif
Too many companies...

Aug 17, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
why can't picking speakers be as easy as headphones
frown.gif
Too many companies...

exactly! There are too many speaker companies and not nearly enough headphone companies!

Aug 18, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
PSB Alphas have a sound that is much closer to the sound of the Senn HD 580/600 than the Axioms. They won't sound anywhere near as good (no speaker will for that price), but if you like the HD 580, you'll like PSBs.

I will second MacDEF's recommendation that you will need to spend more than $275.00 on a pair of bookshelf speakers to equal the HD-600s. The closest thing I have heard to the HD-600s is: http://www.system-audio.com/
If you could stretch your budget to just over $300.00, you could get the NHT 1.5s at: http://www.yawaonline.com/
Personally, I think they are one of the best sounding bookshelf speakers under $800.00 when driven by NAD electronics. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back