What book are you reading right now?
Jun 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #2,401 of 5,345
Quote:
The unabridged The Stand got me into King, that was a ~700 page book that when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. That doesn't happen too often, and it was unexpected as I was just looking for something long to read while stuck at an airport.

I really liked the first few books of the Dark Tower, but for some reason I lost interest and never finished Wolves of the Calla. I'll pick it up again someday, probably start at the beginning again as The Gunslinger remains one of my all-time favorites.

The last book that I couldn't put down was The Road by McCarthy. Looking forward to 11/22/63 quite a bit.

Quote:
The Stand is a Masterpiece! An Excellent book for those wanting to get into King.
I started with It and and from that ~1140 page TOME I was spooked and hooked every since... I so want to live in Derry Maine. 
cool.gif

Just read the synopsis on The Road, I now know what's next after the Koontz Odd Thomas series.

That's funny, "The Stand" (read the abridged version first and the unabridged version much later) got me into Stephen King as well. I was into the "Dark Tower" series when it first came out, but there was too much time between books to keep me engaged in the continuing story. I may have to give it a shot again in the future, but at the moment, I have too many books to read on the pile...

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #2,402 of 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon [COLOR=22229C]/img/forum/go_quote.gif
[/COLOR]

The Stand is a Masterpiece! An Excellent book for those wanting to get into King.

I started with It and and from that ~1140 page TOME I was spooked and hooked every since... I so want to live in Derry Maine. 
cool.gif

Just read the synopsis on The Road, I now know what's next after the Koontz Odd Thomas series.

That's funny, "The Stand" (read the abridged version first and the unabridged version much later) got me into Stephen King as well. I was into the "Dark Tower" series when it first came out, but there was too much time between books to keep me engaged in the continuing story. I may have to give it a shot again in the future, but at the moment, I have too many books to read on the pile...

I did pretty much the same thing. I read the Stand (unabridged) first and started with the dark tower series. Never actually finished it even though I've got them all on a shelf somewhere. Should pick it up again sometime.

I'm reading the first book of the Dresden Files right now. Pretty good so far. Don't know how the rest of the series turns out.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2,403 of 5,345
Quote:
I was into the "Dark Tower" series when it first came out, but there was too much time between books to keep me engaged in the continuing story.

That pretty much sums it up. Even though I tried to continue, the series had lost too much momentum for me.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #2,407 of 5,345
"Paris 1919"

History book about the Peace Conference held at the end of World War 1

Interesting reading about how 3 or 4 Great Powers dictated the borders of our modern world.

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,409 of 5,345
I just finished "Robopocalypse" by Daniel H. Wilson.  http://www.amazon.com/Robopocalypse-Novel-Daniel-H-Wilson/dp/0385533853

It has very mixed reviews, but I liked it.  I think some of the negative reviews were from people who thought it should just be a non-stop video-game action story like a Terminator movie.  It is definitely NOT that.  It explores a variety of personalities in different parts of the worldwide fight against the robots.  Another complaint was that it had gaps in the story that weren't adequately explained - well duh - it's a worldwide battle of humans vs robots that goes on for several years - and it is told as a set of reports recalled by a single character.  Of course there are going to be gaps!  I suspect long-time SF readers might enjoy this book more than people who's entire exposure to SF has been the Matrix, Terminator and I, Robot (the film, not the book!).  After reading the book, I discovered that Spielberg is apparently going to release a movie based on this book.  I'm sure that *will* be the non-stop action shoot 'em up that the critics of the book expected - and I'm also sure I won't like the movie as much as I liked the book.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #2,410 of 5,345

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,413 of 5,345
I just finished a whole slew of dystopian novels for a creative writing class a couple months back. 1984, Fahrenheit 451, A Clockwork Orange, Brave New World, Vonnegut's Slapstick, Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale and the entire Watchmen collection of graphic novels (if that counts). I loved every single one, but I would have to recommend A Clockwork Orange (I read the original British version, not the American version which omits the last chapter) , and Brave New World as being my favourites.

RIght now I'm nearly finished Ernest Hemingway's classic For Whom The Bell Tolls. It's not what most people would choose to read, but I find reading classics to be more entertaining and thought provoking than reading pulp fiction. 

Next up I've found and bookmarked an online version of John Milton's epic, Paradise Lost. We'll see if I ever finish that!

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2,414 of 5,345
And now I'm reading:    "Cataclysm: The First World War As Political Tragedy"   by David Stevenson..

I should read some comic books to lighten my head a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back