What book are you reading right now?
Jul 23, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #1,533 of 5,345

First time I've read Hamilton.  I'm only about 10% in but his writing style and vocabulary seem very bland and boring -- having trouble staying interested in it despite the fact that I've already picked up all four of this series via Kindle as a result of high praise it received.  Meh.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #1,535 of 5,345
This is what I just started flipping through on the recommendation of a friend. Have any of the lawyers around these parts read it?

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #1,536 of 5,345
Right now I'm reading Different Seasons, by Stephen King (I'm a huge King fan).  I just finished The Shawshank Redemption, and moving on to Apt Pupil.  It's pretty great so far.

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #1,537 of 5,345
A Course in Miracles  

A Course in Miracles is a self-study curriculum (spiritual in nature) that sets forth an absolute non-dualistic metaphysics by the teachings of love, forgiveness and ergo healing  emphasizing its practical application in daily living.

Online e-zine @ :  http://www.themiracletimes.com/

My being a child of the '60s along with my early indoctrination to the RCChurch and its teachings both have seemingly lead to such writings as ACIM which I found and consumed shortly after its publication .

A sort of Jung meets Christ read ...

smile.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #1,540 of 5,345
I wanna start reading.
I'm 17.5 and I haven't read many books. Not much in my language and certainly not much in English.
Do you have a suggestion for me?
I'd don't have a specific genre, just don't give me a bombastic book at the beginning. 
I want to read it in english and improve my language.
Thank you

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #1,541 of 5,345

Quote:
I wanna start reading.
I'm 17.5 and I haven't read many books. Not much in my language and certainly not much in English.
I'd don't have a specific genre, just don't give me a bombastic book at the beginning. 
Thank you

honestly, the harry potter series is a good place to look for that.
if you start with the first book, it is very simple.
and each book of the seven gets a little longer and the language, and sentence lengths, etc. get a little more advanced.
i'm not sure if the author, j.k. rowling, intended this.
but it honestly does appear that way.

and, while they might be a little cheesy, i loved the books. and i'm 34.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #1,542 of 5,345

Quote:
I wanna start reading.
Thank you

Quote:
honestly, the harry potter series is a good place to look for that.
if you start with the first book, it is very simple.
and each book of the seven gets a little longer and the language, and sentence lengths, etc. get a little more advanced.
i'm not sure if the author, j.k. rowling, intended this.
but it honestly does appear that way.

and, while they might be a little cheesy, i loved the books. and i'm 34.

Great suggestion there for your pointed purpose in the keeping ones interest to the next page, category ...

Or in the philosophy of life category with multitudes of famous  quotes that can be read in short yet satisfying bursts full of insight , I would suggest Peter McWilliams 's "Life 101" as a wonderful exploration for our young minds
L3000.gif

Goggle for a taste, perhaps .
EDIT: Online for free, here :
http://search.conduit.com/ResultsExt.aspx?ctid=CT642386&SearchSource=3&q=Peter+McWilliams+%27s+%22Life+101%22

Have fun with it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back