What book are you reading right now?
Feb 2, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #856 of 5,329
enchantress_of_florence_rushdie.jpg

So far, Rushdie doesn't shy away from writing for writing's sake, but nevertheless, very enjoyable to read.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #857 of 5,329
Finally my absolutely favorite author, Kelley Armstrong, published the best short stories (semi-short actually, about 80 pages each) in her collection. The collection is called "Men of the otherworld" and it's mostly about the childhood of one of the best characters in the series, Clayton Denvers.

I've always loved her short stories which were offered for free on her website but after she took them down (publisher gave her an offer on them), I've been waiting to read them and the hardcover book does not disappoint. A marvel of a read, truly captivating; just grabs you and makes you turn page after page until it's 4am and you realize you have to wake up for work the next morning.
tongue.gif
I highly recommend it. She writes so well that I have bought every single book she has written, has written a short story for and even the ones where she simply wrote a 2 page introduction to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another great author I've been enjoying is James Rollins (of course I own a copy of every book he wrote as well). Great action/adventure stories. I recommend jumping into the first Sigma force novel.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #858 of 5,329
"To Green Angel Tower" (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Book 3) by Tad Williams.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #860 of 5,329
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mind Map Book - Tony Buzan

I found that book a while ago and read it and thought it was a load of crap...

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #861 of 5,329
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that book a while ago and read it and thought it was a load of crap...

No arguement there
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #863 of 5,329
Since I'm taking a crap ton of english classes this semester:

William Faulkner - Sanctuary and Absalom! Absalom! at the same time
Buchi Emecheta - The Joys of Motherhood
Western Wind (a poetry writing class book)
The Contemporary Congress, 9th edition

And for fun, Elizabeth Haydon's "Prophecy"

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #865 of 5,329
Titus Groan--Mervin Peake

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #867 of 5,329
Everything's Eventual by Stephen King.

I've always liked short stories, and I've always liked King no matter how much people try to classify him as "fast food", subliterature, etc... He is a storyteller. A pretty good one, in my opinion.
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #869 of 5,329
the Interpretation of Murder

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #870 of 5,329
Richard Rhodes - The making of the atomic bomb

All the way from the discovery of the atomic to the tale of how the world brightest scientists came together to build the bomb. It's so cool, detailing all related discoveries in that period in history where the most astonishing discoveries in physics and chemistry were made. 100 pages in, brilliant so far, only 700 to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back