What book are you reading right now?
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,056 of 5,329
Whoa. What is it like, Doug?
Hey RCB, I taught American History for thirty-five years. I am so used to reading biographies, and topic specific history books. It's so easy to become an expert on historical detail while sacrificing historical context. Every once in awhile, I like a book that focuses on a thirty-five thousand foot perspective of history; that makes a case for how the details fit together, and what might be learned with regard to where we might be going. Though I'm only a hundred pages in, this book provides such perspective. Andersen takes an almost scientific approach. He starts with the hypothesis that America is "haywire." (I would tend to agree with that view...) Starting briefly with the Reformation, he makes an awesomely interesting case that America has been on the path to "haywiredom" for a long time. However, I'm afraid that many readers devoutly affiliated with a particular social, religious, or political philosophy may be in danger of having their head explode. I plan to read his newer book, "Evil Genuises" next.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #5,057 of 5,329
Hey RCB, I taught American History for thirty-five years. I am so used to reading biographies, and topic specific history books. It's so easy to become an expert on historical detail while sacrificing historical context. Every once in awhile, I like a book that focuses on a thirty-five thousand foot perspective of history; that makes a case for how the details fit together, and what might be learned with regard to where we might be going. Though I'm only a hundred pages in, this book provides such perspective.

One of Christoph Baumer's books was like this for me. I bought a book to learn about the Mongol tribes and how how Temujin united them, but the book only covered his life and immediate descendants, it was a window into that small time frame, and after reading it I wanted to know more. Baumer helped me understand how other tribes were pushed into Eastern Europe and the effect they had on the peoples of the Middle East and China, how ironically slaves taken from the Steppes fought off a later Mongol incursion into the area around Egypt. Probably helps explain why certain nations act the way they do today, because of how they were subjected in the past.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #5,058 of 5,329
Hey RCB, I taught American History for thirty-five years. I am so used to reading biographies, and topic specific history books. It's so easy to become an expert on historical detail while sacrificing historical context. Every once in awhile, I like a book that focuses on a thirty-five thousand foot perspective of history; that makes a case for how the details fit together, and what might be learned with regard to where we might be going. Though I'm only a hundred pages in, this book provides such perspective. Andersen takes an almost scientific approach. He starts with the hypothesis that America is "haywire." (I would tend to agree with that view...) Starting briefly with the Reformation, he makes an awesomely interesting case that America has been on the path to "haywiredom" for a long time. However, I'm afraid that many readers devoutly affiliated with a particular social, religious, or political philosophy may be in danger of having their head explode. I plan to read his newer book, "Evil Genuises" next.
Thank you. LOL at the head explode comment ... I can envision it happening!
BTW my favorite teacher of all time was a former USMC drill instructor who taught thermodynamics at Purdue. Tough, thorough and fair. Still wore the buzz cut although probably 50-years old. :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #5,059 of 5,329
19763768.jpg

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #5,062 of 5,329
edge.jpeg
Third installment of The Century Trilogy series covers
the time period of 1961 to 1989, basically the Cold
War. International politics are in the forefront. The third
generation of the families are now the leading folks.
Highly engaging & recommended.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #5,067 of 5,329
Taking a break from John le Carre and Ken Follett, I discovered the author Robert Crais whilst looking for more characters like Jack Reacher. :)
His Elvis Cole / Joe Pike series is a hoot, now on book four out of 18. Pike is cut out of the Reacher cloth, but he talks less and wears sunglasses. They get into all kinds of productive trouble.

Robert Crais books in order.png

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #5,068 of 5,329
Taking a break from John le Carre and Ken Follett, I discovered the author Robert Crais whilst looking for more characters like Jack Reacher. :)
His Elvis Cole / Joe Pike series is a hoot, now on book four out of 18. Pike is cut out of the Reacher cloth, but he talks less and wears sunglasses. They get into all kinds of productive trouble.

Robert Crais books in order.png

I read history books and current affairs but sometimes need some escapism and am fascinated with Jack Reacher, read all of Lee Child's books bar one or two. The earlier ones are generally better imo.

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #5,069 of 5,329
Elvis Cole is a more interesting character than is Joe Pike. If you get the urge, try out The Monkey's Raincoat. It's decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back