What book are you reading right now?
May 11, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #4,861 of 5,345
chadwick.jpg

May 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #4,863 of 5,345
A Perfect Spy.jpg
On to the next John le Carre offering.
He wrote that this is the novel he's most proud of...
Didn't care for the ending of A Most Wanted Man.

May 19, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4,864 of 5,345
This is such a great books, if I could, I'd give you many more likes :)

The film is just as good with an unforgettable Richard Burton!

You reckon?
I watched the film and thought it very good, but seeming to have some unexplained plot gaps.
I then read some of the online study notes for the book, and it was clear that the book contains a lot of additional contextual/character information.
So I am not surprised that the book is highly rated.

May 19, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #4,866 of 5,345
You reckon?
I watched the film and thought it very good, but seeming to have some unexplained plot gaps.
I then read some of the online study notes for the book, and it was clear that the book contains a lot of additional contextual/character information.
So I am not surprised that the book is highly rated.

Well, it is difficult to fully translate such a sophisticated novel adequately into a film. I liked Richard Burton‘s cool acting, never sure if he is capable of true sentiments. And the film is downright thrilling to the last minute.

May 21, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #4,868 of 5,345
Well, it is difficult to fully translate such a sophisticated novel adequately into a film.

The writing of John le Carre is so complex that a film could never capture all the details.
And, his "action" sequences are just a small part of the overall story ... the character development and "back story" are the real meat.
He does such a good job at those points that, at times, you really get to know the characters.
I love that aspect of his writing :)

May 21, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #4,870 of 5,345
The writing of John le Carre is so complex that a film could never capture all the details.
And, his "action" sequences are just a small part of the overall story ... the character development and "back story" are the real meat.
He does such a good job at those points that, at times, you really get to know the characters.
I love that aspect of his writing :)

Agree entirely!

May 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4,873 of 5,345
Book? I've heard of those before!

May 26, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,874 of 5,345
What is that book about @Quinto ?

I just read the preface so far, but like other Smolin books it's about the boundery between reality and fantasy within the scientific community, in this case regarding quantum mechanics I think..He is not against this or other theories (his expose on snare theory was interesting), but he gives his thoughts of the reality of it. He is like the guardian of the scientific method

Every now and then I dare to disagree with the man, but since he's infinitely smarter than me, he's also a reminder of my own questionable opinions :D

I'll need to finish my Owen Chadwick book first (very nice and interesting read), I always read the preface of my next book to motivate myself to hurry & finish the one i'm reading :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back