What book are you reading right now?
Nov 10, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #4,426 of 5,345

Nope. Never read any Blackwood actually. Worth seeking out?

Absolutely as he was alledgedly an inspiration for Lovecraft himself. I think his stuff is available in the public domain.

Aha. For those of us in the digital domain (I love the printed book too but given current prices I would be remiss in not pointing out this site.)

https://archive.org/search.php?query=the%20willows

To cross purpose this thread...  https://archive.org/details/01Cj20001015d1t01_201311
Whether or not you like the band this is a live venue recording done with the dummy head binaural mic system and is wicked via good headphones.(Thanks to the birdman himself for pointing this one out)

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #4,427 of 5,345
Today, I would like to contribute a book, which is very close to my heart and has (intellectually and practically) changed my life in many ways:

This book, written by Imperial College London professor David Nutt, explores from a purely scientific view the psychopharmacological and societal implications of drug classification and restriction. It is well written for both people who have (and do not have) any background knowledge on the topic. It won the 2014 British Medical Association Transmission Prize.

Considering very recent events in the USA and the ongoing legalisation of Cannabis around the world, I consider this to be a highly relevant read.

Those who have any questions concerning this book or the topics it discusses, feel free to PM me. I am also able to provide a PDF-scan for those interested.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #4,428 of 5,345
I finished reading Bruce Springsteen's "Born To Run" a few days ago, outstanding book, highly recommended!

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #4,434 of 5,345
Patrick Leigh Fermor - Between the Woods and the Water. This is the second volume about his teenage exploits in the 1930s, as he set out to walk from the Hook of Holland to Istanbul. I read the first volume (A Time of Gifts) years ago, but didn't get round to the second book 'til now. The third book was unfinished at the time of his death, but an edited draft was published fairly recently, so I'll probably get on to that some time soon.

Fermor's life story continued to be colourful - his Wikipedia entry tells the tale of his wartime exploits in the SOE, as do the book (and movie) Ill met by Moonlight, about when he parachuted into Crete to kidnap a German general.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #4,436 of 5,345
Andrey Kurkov - Death and the Penguin. Yet another welcome re-read of this darkly comic look at the danger and strangeness of modern Ukrainian society. Kurkov has had several excellent books translated into English since this, but this book is the one that I really love best.

Viktor and Misha really are the oddest of couples, and the violence and intrigue that happens around them all makes a horrible sort of cold-blooded sense.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #4,438 of 5,345
  Patrick Leigh Fermor - Between the Woods and the Water. This is the second volume about his teenage exploits in the 1930s, as he set out to walk from the Hook of Holland to Istanbul. I read the first volume (A Time of Gifts) years ago, but didn't get round to the second book 'til now. The third book was unfinished at the time of his death, but an edited draft was published fairly recently, so I'll probably get on to that some time soon.

Fermor's life story continued to be colourful - his Wikipedia entry tells the tale of his wartime exploits in the SOE, as do the book (and movie) Ill met by Moonlight, about when he parachuted into Crete to kidnap a German general.

Thanks, PalJoey.  

After a bit of research, I bought today both "A Time of Gifts" and "Between the Woods and the Water."  They have landed on my iPad for some enjoyable holiday-season reading. Appreciate the recommendation - looks to be a fascinating author and interesting subject matter at a crucial time in Europe's history.

Prosit -
RCB

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #4,439 of 5,345

Thanks, PalJoey.  

After a bit of research, I bought today both "A Time of Gifts" and "Between the Woods and the Water."  They have landed on my iPad for some enjoyable holiday-season reading. Appreciate the recommendation - looks to be a fascinating author and interesting subject matter at a crucial time in Europe's history.

Prosit -
RCB

There isn't a massive amount of commentary on the political events of the era, as Fermor was, at that time, a footloose teenager enjoying an adventure more than a shrewd social observer. The one thing in that line that really had an effect on his mood (and that of his friends) was the assassination of Engelbert Dollfuss.

However, the writing is extremely good, and the contrasts between sleeping in a cowshed on some nights and playing bicycle polo in the gardens of a palace on other days does evoke a picture of a Europe that has since been changed irrevocably by the events that were just about to happen.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #4,440 of 5,345
That sounds good - bit of a lighter read then.  The critics say he's one of the best writers in English history - should be fun.  I'm coming off the Ken Follett "Trilogy" that I thought was good, I enjoy the way Ken writes.  Have you read it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back