What book are you reading right now?
Sep 16, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #4,066 of 5,340
This Motoring by Ernest Stenson-Cooke. At heart, it is a history of the early days of the Automobile Association, but the potential dryness of the subject is offset by the wildly eccentric and entertaining style of writing. Pullulating with exclamation marks and exclamations ("ooh!" and "woof!", amongst others), it is oddly brilliant and very old-school British in humour.

Now out of print, 2nd-hand copies of this little book can be picked up for very little and it is always a treat to re-read.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4,070 of 5,340
Just finished Stuart Maconie's latest book The Pie at Night, about the North of England and its leisure activities past and present.

Very enjoyable in itself, but he also mentioned a book called Bollocks to Alton Towers: Uncommonly British Days Out, which is about Britain's less flashy tourist destinations, so I had to read that too. Okay, Bletchley Park, Mother Shipton's Cave and Portmeirion are actually pretty well known, but there are more obscure places to visit that have had me Googling extensively.

A mysterious maze of tunnels under Liverpool, for instance, or the House of Marbles (who doesn't like a good marble run?). Mad Jack's Sugarloaf, Blackgang Chine, miniature naval warfare at Peasholme Park or Keith Harding's World of Mechanical Music.

There's a sequel to this book - I rather think I have to buy it.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,071 of 5,340
The last wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

Read the fan translations a while ago and enjoyed it immensely. Recently decided to read through it all again before playing the games. Once I'm through i'm moving onto the games. 

Fantastic stories to anyone who hasn't read it. Some of my favorite books actually.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,073 of 5,340
Just Finished

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1962), by Ken Kesey

Had forgotten how good this is! Better than the film. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,074 of 5,340
Currently Reading:

The Consolation of Philosophy (523), by Boethius; translated by V. E. Watts
One of the most famous 'jail journals' of all time, and arguably the most popular and influential medieval philosophical text in existence. Enjoying it thus far, though the poetry segments aren't particularly great--perhaps a fault of the translator rather than of Boethius himself, though modern opinion on the merits of the man's poetry is pretty split. Certainly, he's no Dante. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #4,075 of 5,340
Currently reading the Guardian's review of Morrissey's new 'novel'.

Currently NOT reading Morrissey's new 'novel'. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #4,076 of 5,340
Dillinger: The Untold Story, Anniversary Edition /by G. Russell Girardin (Author), William J. Helmer (Author), Rick Mattix (Foreword)

Indiana University Press; Anniversary Edition edition (July 16, 2009), 432 pages,  ISBN : 0253221102

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #4,077 of 5,340
I finished Eragon by Christopher Paolini a year or so ago, and I recently picked up Eldest again. I can't put this series down! It's not that the writing is all too remarkable, though it is very good - but the way it constantly makes me lose hope and regain it is so captivating.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #4,079 of 5,340
Just Finished:

The Consolation of Philosophy (523), by Boethius; translated by V. E. Watts
The poetry gets better as you go along, even though some of the logic, which is so necessary to this work, begins to fall apart. (Or at least it seemed to, to me.) That said, there's a lot of good stuff in here, and not just for those interested in philosophy or medieval thought. Indeed, I imagine that a lot of people, particularly those of a religious or deity-centered spiritual persuasion, will find a lot to value in here, most of which remains relevant to coping with everyday life and the thought of mortality. And for those of a markedly less religious or spiritual bent, like myself, there are still some absolute gems in here, not unlike, say, the book of Ecclesiastes (though it is not as consistently beautiful). It's not difficult to see why this was as popular and influential as it was in centuries past, and to some degree I think it probably deserves a bit of a resurgence, beyond merely being quoted from in some films (24 Hour Party People) or sneaking into modern literature (Tom Shippey believes that there is a lot of Boethius to be found in The Lord of the Rings). There's more room for ancient philosophy and theology in the modern reader's library than one might think--as good as it is, Aurelius's Meditations isn't the only ancient philosophy text worthy of popular adoption and adoration.  

Currently Reading:

The Interpretation of Dreams (1899), by Sigmund Freud, translated by J. A. Underwood
Just started on this; have only read excerpted selections of it before. Curious to experience it in its entirety. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,080 of 5,340
I've just wrapped up John Williams' "Stoner", which is truly one of the saddest yet most beautiful novels I've ever read.

Think I'll read a few essays from Eco's "Inventing the Enemy" before picking another novel - Mary Shelley's "The Last Man" may be due - or perhaps I'll end up reading Conrad's "The Secret Agent". We'll see. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back