What Band/Artist's songs all sound the same?
Apr 11, 2004 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
In response to a thought by EyeAmEye in this thread, I've posed a simple question. What band or artists' songs all sound the same? Nominees so far...
  1. Celine Dion (EyeAmEye)
  2. The Ramones (EyeAmEye)
  3. Godsmack (EyeAmEye)
  4. AC/DC (EyeAmEye)
  5. Stabbing Westward (EyeAmEye)
  6. Nickelback (Girgle Mirt)
  7. Kid Rock (Stephonovich)
  8. Creed (Stephonovich)
  9. Linkin Park (Stephonovich)
  10. [Post ...And Justice For All] Metallica (Stephonovich)

In case it isn't obvious, the band being blamed is first, then the user who nominated them. Please note, just because they sound the same doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. I like Creed, some Nickelback, (very few songs, but a few) Godsmack, and Linkin Park, it's just that most of their stuff sounds similar.

Any takers?

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 19
OK, so a correction. On each CD, the songs sound the same
biggrin.gif

As for RATM, dunno, haven't heard much of 'em. I do like SOAD, though. Need to get Toxicity sometime.

EDIT: Added Post ...And Justice For All Metallica in there. If you've ever heard their first album, Kill 'Em All, and then stuff like Master of Puppets or Ride The Lightning, they definitely matured their sound quite a bit. ...And Justice For All was a huge jump, IMO, and was no longer the same band. The Black Album is good (I have it), but a lot of the songs just sound too much a like. Still, The Unforgiven remains one of my all time favorite songs.

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 19
Godsmack I disagree though. In particular "Voodoo" and "Serenity" are great songs, very different from their rest (the ones I've heard). That rest consists mostly of what I called "angry" songs, and many of those do sound alike, e.g. just angry.

AC/DC definitely sounds very much the same all the time, and the singer's voice is one of the ugliest sounding screetchy voices in the world of metal and music as a whole.

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 19
Yup, those two are great. Even my sister (who's a pop freak) likes Serenity. Then, just tonight, she was asking for Nirvana albums... who knows what's getting into her
biggrin.gif
'Tis a change for good, though, that's for sure.

Oh, and if anyone nominates Nirvana, they shall be drug out and shot. Listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, All Apologies, and Francis Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle, and tell me they're the same.

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 19
Boston is good, though... may be all the same, but 'tis classic 80s pop.

EyeAmEye, yeah, I guess you're right. Bands evolve as they get older.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 19
electic, please, PLEASE don't say that. 'Tis the best way I know of to hijack a thread. All one has to do is look at Darkest Desires parts I, II, or III (threads in the Music forum) to see what I mean
biggrin.gif

But yes, I agree that a lot of Black/Death metal bands sound very similar. However, metal, encompassing all sub-genres, does NOT sound the same. Metallica is nothing like Pantera, nor are they like Korn, or Staind. (Metallica is straight-up Metal, IMO. Pantera is more thrash. Korn is a mix between Metal and Nu Metal. Staind is Nu Metal)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back