What artist(s) do you have all their albums?
Nov 13, 2002 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 239

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
(I know that is not properly structured English, but...)

Who do you love so much that you just had to get all their albums/CD's? Single CD artists don't count.

I'll start (no judgements please):

Garbage (all four): Garbage, Version 2.0, Beautiful Garbage, Bleed Like Me
No Doubt (all five): No Doubt, Beacon St. Collection, Tragic Kingdom, Return of Saturn, Rock Steady

Ok...discuss...

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 239
Moderator(s),

If this is more appropriate in the Music forum, please transfer over. Thanks.

-j

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 239
Done, jpelg!

wink.gif

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 239
well, I almost had all Marillion albums, but I got so fed up with some of their old albums (Fish-era for insiders) I sold two of those. they had me cringing (sp?) on the floor and climbing the walls...so they went out. of the so-called H-era I still don't have Holidays In Eden and Afraid Of Sunlight, but these guys have such a large catalogue....first things first y'know.

basically the same with Dream Theater, almost had all of em (at one point had all but one), but Falling Into Infinity and SDOIT (their latest) are totally unlistenable for me. so now I only have their two best albums (Awake and Scenes From A Memory).

I'm seriously overdue with buying the second Chroma Key album, but that might very well be my next purchase.

I'm thinking of getting two more The Gathering albums (then I'll have em all), but I don't see the point of it...one I don't like as much as the ones I already have and the other is very similar but not as good as one I already have. and I'm not counting their early period without singer Anneke van Giersbergen (male grunts before that...)

I'm on my way to get all Porcupine Tree albums, but only the ones with them as a band. the music before that (and most of Signify) only grabs my interest on a couple of occasions, most of which are documented in the Stars Die compilation...so perhaps some day, but not for a while. post-Signify tho, I have all but their latest, which isn't out here yet.

I have both Coldplay albums.

BTW, I don't count live albums, nor best-ofs ofcourse.

so basically, where do these musings lead to? I pick the ones that have proven their quality over time and if I really like em I fill in the gaps. but if it ain't good, I'm not keeping it. I'll happily explore every step of artists I really enjoy, but uptill now everyone has made one or two missteps. thats not a bad thing per se, but no need for me to have those albums.

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 239
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan
Cake
Bob Marley
Billy Joel
Dire Straits
REM
John Lennon
Led Zepplin
U2
David Bowie
Oasis
Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
The Who
The Doors
Simon and Garfunkel
AC/DC
Nirvana
Cibo Matto

and i forget who else...probably some I don't care to admit. And there are plenty of discs (like later Bowies) I wish I didn't own. On the other hand, I wish I had every Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones (I admit it, an oversight) and early blues album!

oh hell, yes, among them - the masters: Steely Dan!!

Now those are regular releases, I'm not talking about that limited edition, orange REM CD silkscreened with Michael Stipes butt released only in Sweden!

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 239
Everything? Hmmm... Just to keep it sane, I'll set a bottom limit of five albums, and not actually look at my collection...

Grateful Dead (Yep. EVERYTHING)
Fugs
Holy Modal Rounders
Michael Hurley
It's a Beautiful Day
Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Pentangle
Spirit
Moby Grape
Incredible String Band
Doors

that's the tip of the iceberg, anyway

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 239
Tom Waits
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Guy Clark
Laurie Anderson
Bad Livers
Billy Joe Shaver
Austin Lounge Lizards
Iris Dement
Kate and Anna McGarrigle
Gillian Welch
Louvin Brothers
Jimmie Rodgers
Hank Williams

I am a "completist." Great labels like The Bear Family make collecting an entire opus possible, although expensive. The really great thing about CD-R and MD is that I can pick and choose what I want to listen to.

Nov 13, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 239
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
(I know that is not properly structured English, but...)

Who do you love so much that you just had to get all their albums/CD's? Single CD artists don't count.

I'll start (no judgements please):

Garbage (all three): Garbage, Version 2.0, Beautiful Garbage
No Doubt (all five): No Doubt, Beacon St. Collection, Tragic Kingdom, Return of Saturn, Rock Steady

Ok...discuss...

jpelg,

Not trying to crap on your thread, but what do you think of No Doubt's first two albums?
I have the last three and they are very good, but I have never listened to the first two.

Nov 14, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 239
pink floyd
porcupine tree
sigur ros
led zeppelin
radiohead
beck (including "golden feelings" which I have never opened)
coldplay (all two of them)

and maybe a couple more if I sit down and think about it.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back