what are your top 5 RPGs?
Jan 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #121 of 243
1. Baldur's Gate II
2. Fallout II
2. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur's Gate
5. Wasteland (nostalgia pick only - playing it now is not nearly as much fun as in 1986)

HM to KOTOR, Fallout III, IWD. Skyrim is still on the list of games to try, but Oblivion didn't really work for me.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #122 of 243
Excellent list. ^^
Quote:
1. Baldur's Gate II
2. Fallout II
2. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur's Gate
5. Wasteland (nostalgia pick only - playing it now is not nearly as much fun as in 1986)

HM to KOTOR, Fallout III, IWD. Skyrim is still on the list of games to try, but Oblivion didn't really work for me.

I must be the only person here who thought Skyrim was a pretty mediocre game. It's on almost everyone else's list! Lol. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #123 of 243
The TES games I've played are beautiful and expansive. But 1) they reward power gaming in a tedious way (10 skill level-ups under 3 attributes every level for the 5x bonus!). And 2) too much of the expansive content doesn't mean anything. So I grind through trying to do everything perfectly and just wish for it them to end.

But I'm hopeful Skyrim ends this cycle.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #124 of 243
Skyrim was.. great.. probably the most polished.. plus it had dragons.. instead of uninteresting demons or boring council members.. which made it epic.. the environments in skyrim was awesome imho.. i really wish hey get to improve their player model faces though..

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #125 of 243
The dragons were cool, up until they became fodder, just like everything else, and started appearing every 10 minutes or so. @.@

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #126 of 243
I hated Oblivion. I thoroughly enjoyed Skyrim...put almost 100 hours into it. I guess they just got the formula right with Skyrim. I was just really drawn into the setting/atmosphere. Dragons were just the icing on the cake.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #128 of 243
This topic reminds me I need to plug my PS1 and PS2 back and catch up on three I really meant to play but was too busy at the time to play (or missed out on due to money):
- Xenogears
- Castlevania: SotN
- Disgaea (started but soon realized this game would suck up too much time)

There was one more that I want to say started with a 'W' but drawing a blank.  Oh need to play Chrono Trigger and the early FF games (1-6) as well.  As you can see I'm not much of a RPG player but I bought the games so I wouldn't miss out on them when they re-released them.

If I had to rank the ones I played:
  • Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
  • FF7
  • Skyrim
  • Ogre Battle 64 ...only because its in the OB universe and doesn't use the Tactics gameplay
  • Ogre Battle Tactics: Let Us Cling Together

Though I'm not sure OB is a true RPG since its more of a Strategy/RPG and has a game engine unlike any other.  The gap between #1 and #2 is light years which is why I don't think I'm an RPG fan.  Though I also realize there are so many great games I haven't tried.  Though there are many very popular ones I have tried and just can't get into.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #129 of 243
I've probably dumped the most time into Fallout 3. I really love that game.
Vampire the Mascurade Bloodlines would have to be on the list. 
I'm still looking for a game to match Final Fantasy Tactics. That game was amazing.
I played through FF7 more times than I care to mention.
I also played a lot of Oblivion. It would be a crime not to put it on the list. 

Quote:
I would've just asked this on the RPG thread... but I'll bite.

Suikoden II
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Super Mario RPG

I forgot how much I loved Suikoden 1.

FF7 and 6 were great too. 

Quote:

I tried to play this recently. It aged very poorly, which is a shame since I have such fond memories of playing it.
frown.gif

Have you played Skyrim?

Then you have never played Oblivion with mods. The modding community for Oblivion has done some amazing things.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #130 of 243
Quote:

The modding community for Oblivion has done some amazing things.

Have they modded it to be as good of a game as Skyrim? If so, then maybe I'll try it again :wink:

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #131 of 243
Also, I know this is top 5 best, but if it was top 5 worst I'd now add Final Fantasy XIII-2 somewhere in there. I don't know if you can even consider it an RPG at this point. What a turd of a game.

God I hate modern Square games.
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #132 of 243
Quote:
Also, I know this is top 5 best, but if it was top 5 worst I'd now add Final Fantasy XIII-2 somewhere in there. I don't know if you can even consider it an RPG at this point. What a turd of a game.

God I hate modern Square games.
frown.gif

I was planning to play XIII-2 after finishing XIII...

I am also one that does not enjoy playing modern Square games. XIII was just so linear, and our freedom of roaming is very limited. Compare that to playing Xenogears (although Disc 2 really dissapoints) or FF VI/VII/VIII, the experience is just not epic anymore.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #133 of 243
Quote:

I was planning to play XIII-2 after finishing XIII...

I am also one that does not enjoy playing modern Square games. XIII was just so linear, and our freedom of roaming is very limited. Compare that to playing Xenogears (although Disc 2 really dissapoints) or FF VI/VII/VIII, the experience is just not epic anymore.

Let me know how that works out.

XIII-2 is trash. Hardly a story, just a bunch of time hopping and BS quests and unbelievably annoying characters. Gameplay was simply not fun in the least. In fact, I'd honestly rather play Call of Duty: Whatever Edition, and be shot repeatedly in the face by crap-talking 12-year-olds, than have to play anymore of Final Fantasy XIII-2. Instant re-list back on Amazon.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #134 of 243
Quote:

Let me know how that works out.

XIII-2 is trash. Hardly a story, just a bunch of time hopping and BS quests and unbelievably annoying characters. Gameplay was simply not fun in the least. In fact, I'd honestly rather play Call of Duty: Whatever Edition, and be shot repeatedly in the face by crap-talking 12-year-olds, than have to play anymore of Final Fantasy XIII-2. Instant re-list back on Amazon.

Well, thanks to you good sir I might just save a couple of bucks and spend my time on the upcoming hot games like SimCity or Dead Space 3
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back