what are your other hobbies besides audio??
Jul 14, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #151 of 156
Yes, it does require some specialty tools - I have quite a bit invested, but you can start and build your collection. I have a 1929 South Bend lathe, a Grizzly tabletop mill, a 2x72 belt grinder as well as a variety of hand tools ( files, sanding blocks, 1/2" battery powered drill, hack saw ). You will also need something to help you measure - like a digital caliper, steel ruler, etc..

Once you get some experience you can create a bunch of fun stuff - similar to woodworking. I really enjoy looking at the headphone cable beads I did when pop on my headphones. Might be time to do a couple more as I might need to make a few more cables.
DAS_4371 (Custom).jpg
DAS_4368 (Custom).jpg

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #152 of 156
Yes, it does require some specialty tools - I have quite a bit invested, but you can start and build your collection. I have a 1929 South Bend lathe, a Grizzly tabletop mill, a 2x72 belt grinder as well as a variety of hand tools ( files, sanding blocks, 1/2" battery powered drill, hack saw ). You will also need something to help you measure - like a digital caliper, steel ruler, etc..

Once you get some experience you can create a bunch of fun stuff - similar to woodworking. I really enjoy looking at the headphone cable beads I did when pop on my headphones. Might be time to do a couple more as I might need to make a few more cables.
DAS_4371 (Custom).jpg
DAS_4368 (Custom).jpg

Certainly looks like you need a hell of a work bench to get rolling on this! But the results speak for themselves...gorgeous!

Those headphone beads/splitters are beautiful, and it must feel so much better knowing you constructed them yourself (my favorite aspect of doing DIY work).

It will take me a few years, but I'm certainly interested in getting involved in metal work at some point!

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #153 of 156
1594981855328.png

I'm a casual on-off player since the mid-90s. I haven't participated in any tournaments, but I have a collection of 15 decks that I have painstakingly assembled over the years.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #155 of 156
Aug 16, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #156 of 156
Looks tremendous! I also love to cook...but always wanted to cure meats/dry age and never had room. Jealous!

I just do this in my fridge, the real problem is clearing enough room for initial cure where you have raw meat in salt in there (what I do now is any veg I'll eat raw I'll only buy the same day, otherwise they're kimchi and pickles in sealed containers).

And what prompted it a few years ago was how much real corned beef/pastrami and guanciale/pancetta cost in Manila. My reuben, carbonara, and Amatriciana habit was getting too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back