what are your other hobbies besides audio??
Dec 21, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #106 of 156
My other primary hobby is a strange one, but it is something I've been into since I was 11, that is conlanging, creating my own language.

I've always been interested in languages and I'm currently studying linguistics in college. But conlanging is not something that most or even many linguistics students are into. It's an ongoing project for no one's benefit other than my own, but I have several hundred words in one primary language, as well as a few rudimentary starts on other languages. I've created my own writing system as well as a complex grammar inspired by Indo-European.

It's something that I don't always find time to work on, but I think about it all the time and am constantly creating new words. My other hobbies of writing fiction and playing city-building video games all fit under the same umbrella of creating fictional worlds, something that I seem to really enjoy. Not that I ignore the real world too much :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #108 of 156
I like to travel. Maybe it's the only hobby I can't live without. I've already visited France, Italy, UK, Spain... My next year travels gonna be dedicated to Asia. My friend just visited Da Nang (Vietnam) and he is really excited. I want to go to Japan to know better about their culture (already found this tickets for my journey). Nothing can be compared with the feeling when you visit the new place. It's just awesome.

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #109 of 156
Old lamps. Yesterday I refinished two lamps from the 1950's. One is a 5-armed Jielde lamp mounted to a brake disc and the other is a Christian Dell 6556 in British racing green. The Jielde needed lots of rust removal and a waxing, while the 6556 need rust removal and oil in the tilt joint.

9f60c3084dc317aaa4d0.png

d3123b78c8751d1c4752.png

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #110 of 156
Jan 7, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #112 of 156
My brother in law, was a sax player with the Ted Heath band, and gave me my first headphones, at 12 years old.Now,living on my own,at 78 years old, as well as HiFi, home Cinema, I do track days with my car, going to Spa/Oulton?Cadwell/Anglesea,I loved Parachuting, but age caught up with me, and whats the fun in being strapped to someone else, and jumping, or bungie jumping, as for me, nothing gave me more fun/excitement as sole parachuting. My wish, to solo run off the ramp of a Herculea at 12000 feet.( No Hope!.), so track days give me a lot of pleasure, but no excitement.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #114 of 156
My other primary hobby is a strange one, but it is something I've been into since I was 11, that is conlanging, creating my own language.

I've always been interested in languages and I'm currently studying linguistics in college. But conlanging is not something that most or even many linguistics students are into. It's an ongoing project for no one's benefit other than my own, but I have several hundred words in one primary language, as well as a few rudimentary starts on other languages. I've created my own writing system as well as a complex grammar inspired by Indo-European.

It's something that I don't always find time to work on, but I think about it all the time and am constantly creating new words. My other hobbies of writing fiction and playing city-building video games all fit under the same umbrella of creating fictional worlds, something that I seem to really enjoy. Not that I ignore the real world too much :sweat_smile:

I really admire your working dedication to this field...Perhaps you dont know an example of an artificial language created by Weilgart the book is about the language of space AUI...I suggest to read about that for inspiration and challenge ...Truly remarkable achievement...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AUI_(constructed_language)

My hobby is studying philosophy...

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #115 of 156
Found another original 1930's German made Kaiser Idell lamp in very good original condition. Just had to clean it up and adjust the tilt mechanisms.

IMG_20190121_162219.jpg

IMG_20190121_162248.jpg

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #117 of 156
I'm probably one of the few people in the world who gets excited when something around the house breaks. It's not really a hobby, but I just love figuring out what broke and fixing it. It's extremely cathartic and has the cool side effect of saving money where conventional thinking would be more along the lines of, "well, guess it's time to get a new one."

Recent small time examples:
Squeaky dryer needed a new bearing.
Left channel in my bluetooth adapter cassette went out. Wire needed to be soldered back on. (used in my car. pic for context)
upload_2019-2-6_12-14-16.png

Gas inlet solenoid died on my furnace. Easy replacement
Temp sensor on the oven was reporting incorrectly and burning everything. Built a new thermocouple from some resistors and wiring.
Finish nail gun broke the actuation rod. Quick weld job. Replaced seals while I was in there and it stopped hissing!

And then there are the big projects:
I bought a bulldozer a while back... The cylinder liner seals pitted and junked the motor so I did a full rebuild on it.
upload_2019-2-6_12-33-52.png

upload_2019-2-6_12-34-33.png

upload_2019-2-6_12-35-33.png

And this one keeps me busy all the time.
I have a 2002 BMW M5. I've had the car for about 3 years and put on around 60k miles. This car is so many great things, but in no way is it reliable. Here are some of the bigger fixes:
Timing chain/oil pump service.
Reseal differential and replace differential bushings
Replace burst oil lines that sprayed the entire engine bay in oil.
Replace burst radiator.
Replace exploded water pump pulley.
Reseal intake.
Reseal gas tank (mice literally chewed through it.)
Replaced control arms.
Replaced steering tie rods.
I've also had an incident involving high speed and a small rodent which required a whole length of cosmetic and electrical repair.
This is just scratching the surface on the joy the M5 has brought me. I have 1.5" 3-ring binder that is almost full just from receipts of repairs. I can confidently tell any normal person who doesn't do their own service that this car will certainly bankrupt them and they should never buy one. But god I love it. Never selling.
upload_2019-2-6_12-46-27.png

upload_2019-2-6_12-48-1.png

upload_2019-2-6_12-49-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-6_12-46-48.png
    upload_2019-2-6_12-46-48.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 24, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #119 of 156
I work out pretty extensively and used to compete on a national level. Those days are long gone and I work out but also do yoga..These days I draw and paint as a hobby and for commissions and play in a working class band. I also ride a motorcycle and like to work on it...I use to travel a lot with two of my friends...not so much anymore since I have a steady girlfriend.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #120 of 156
Hobbies... damn.. my wife would say my biggest hobbie is having hobbies... I like it all haha :)

But for the most part, listening to music of course, photography, computer, star-wars (vintage) and walking/training with my dogs and taking them on walks with the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back