what are your other hobbies besides audio??
Feb 1, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #46 of 156
DIY Kites - all over the world...next up: a trip to NZ...

DIY Radios . working on an Elecraft... Mini Ham Radio Transmitter/receiver...

DIY Airplanes..(have worked on Someone else's) Lancair 320, Kitfox, Sherpa, Thorpe T-18, RV-2, -3, and -4 variants...(also a Harmon Rocket), and now want to build a Velocity XL or COZY IV for me...

DIY telescopes...

...among other interests..

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #47 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
nice, another autocrosser, what do you race>?

Modded 93 RX7
Running a ceramic bb gt35/40 turbo. Around 360 rwhp at 15 psi. Well depends on how much boost I run, and thats about what I run at the track. The car weighs around 2950 with me in it, so it can scoot.

I run in SM2. But I want to get back into SS because there is more competition in my local area. I want to sell my 7 and get a used z06. I love my 7, but it's getting old
smily_headphones1.gif

I still hang and regulary beat z06's times (except those two old guys, they can drive like the dickens) but since they are in SS and I am in SM2 it doesn't really count. And I have yet to ever get BOD
frown.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #48 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Computer nut turned SILENT computer nut. Shhhh....
tongue.gif
Curse those fans
biggrin.gif

Hah, I used to be the same way. Started with a few extra quiet fans, and then started on a quest to make it as quiet as possible. Bought all the fancy flower heatsinks, quiet fans, replaced the video card fan by hand, quiet zalman psu's, would even crack open the psu and replace the fan when it started getting louder.

It was never good enough. It was quiet allright, but not silent. So I took all that crap out and sold it to a friend. I then replaced all the fans and added loud as hell delta 80 mm fans. I threw it in my closet, bought a usb 2.0 / firewire hub. Then I got a monitor extension cable, long usb and firewire cables, made my own long speaker extension cables out of heavy gauge wire. It's loud as hell, but I never hear a damn thing. Ahhh, silent bliss. And despite being in a restricted space it runs cooler than it did with all the fancy quiet stuff. Tho, it does have a lot more airflow going to it with the extra fans. The closet does get warmer than the rest of the house, but hey... keeps my clothes toasty. This method was actually cheaper than all that quiet stuff, despite the cost of the hub and cables.

It's all moot at this point anyway, I spend so much time on the computer at work, I seldom even use my computer anymore as the last thing I want to do when I get home is get on another computer. But oh well, I used to be a gamer / computer geek so I still can geek out every now and then. It's kind of funny, my large L desk used to be so computer focused. At one time having 2 21 inch monitors setting on it. 42 inches of desktop space woo hoo. Had 3 computers running, gaming machine, server / firewall, and my storage box with raid. Now I've backed that off, run only 1 computer w/ 1 20 inch LCD.... only one keyboard on my desk. And now the other half of the desk is audio focused. CD player, amps, headphone rack, a broken turn table and jewel cases stacked up that I need to put back on the WALL O CDS (tm). Head-fi took over my computer desk!

Though I do want to get a storage box back up and try and rip my cd collection. I have about 300 cds worth now, but at one point I'd like to rip my ~900 cds to lossless and run a complete optical to DAC setup.

What, this is a thread about other hobbies, and I've managed to turn this post back into an audio related hobby. DAMN YOU HEAD-FI, DAMN YOUUUUU!!!!!

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #49 of 156
Quote:

DIY Airplanes..(have worked on Someone else's) Lancair 320, Kitfox, Sherpa, Thorpe T-18, RV-2, -3, and -4 variants...(also a Harmon Rocket), and now want to build a Velocity XL or COZY IV for me...

DIY telescopes...

DIY sex ?

[size=x-small]sorry man.I........just...could...not....help ...it.......[/size]

i DID try but as you can see i failed miserably
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #50 of 156
Besides audio and headphone related gear my first love is:

Building my race car for drag racing. Currently this project is on hold indefinitely due to the lack of interest for now and the mounting cost in parts.

Other hobbies of mines:

Attending and participating in NHRA and IHRA drag racing events.

Stunt kite and single line kite flying (too many kites, too little time)

Collecting comics (don't buy as often as I used too, maybe one or two if the story or artwork is good)

Collecting 1:18 diecast cars and bikes (stopped almost completely because of the lack of display/storage space in my home and it was getting really expensive)

Collecting vintage Hawaiiain milk and soda water bottles (stopped for now also for the lack of storage/display space in my home and it was also getting expensive.)

Occassional but not often tinkering and upgrading my computer and other electronics.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #53 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Recently audio has taken over my life, but I used to watch and buy a lot of movies (I still rewatch the ones that I own) and play Magic: The Gathering.

Oh, also I enjoy reading, but I don't really consider that a hobby.

This guy, I like.

Quote:

I'm also an anime/manga fan.

I play pen and paper D&D, but not so much recently since the local haunt of D&D players went out of business and a lot of us got lives. (But not me; I'm still as nerdy as ever!)

This girl too.

Yeah, I play DDR, Magic, and D&D, and am into anime, computers, video editing, etc.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #54 of 156
Everybody must be so young on this board because nobody mentioned their kids! My hobby must be my boys (4 and 8). It seems that between work and the dissertation that I have no time left for anything else but my wife and kids. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #55 of 156
Quote:

DIY telescopes...

You should change your name to DIYGuy
cool.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #56 of 156
Quote:

Everybody must be so young on this board because nobody mentioned their kids! My hobby must be my boys (4 and 8). It seems that between work and the dissertation that I have no time left for anything else but my wife and kids. I wouldn't have it any other way.

heh,I should be so lucky !
tongue.gif

My boys are 20,18 and 15 so the field trips are not what they once were.
Seems like when a young man reaches a certain age the harmones take over and dad takes a back seat as far as what to do on the weekends goes
icon10.gif

but i have some awasome memories of some very classic hikes,fishing,canoeing or trips to the wilds to just screw around .One trip i remember in particular had to do with this mine shaft and a "Do Not Enter" sign and a crapload of bats that we disturbed...........
cool.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #57 of 156
Wow, expert hobbiests on kids, cooking, kites, mountain biking and ladies underwear.
icon10.gif
This is why I like Head-Fi - the diversity.

I really can't say it's a hobby, because I also use it for my job, but I'll list photography. I am equally hooked on The Nikonians. If you ever have any spare time, check out my Gallery.

Cats and road cycling are my "main" hobbies. The hobbies I wish I had more time for are working out, archery, cooking, golf, and paranormal studies.

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #58 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Golf.

I don't play as much as I would like but I love the game. At one point I had my index down to single digits (around an 8) but it's probably at about a 12 now. I have played in some local tournaments, and a few NCGA sponsored statewide tournaments.

Sounds just like me, man!
7.6 index > birth of daughter>11.0 index. Currently 9.8 or so.
Let's play (we're close enough to meet around Auburn.)
Otherwise, Photography, Guitar, Motorcycles, Backcountry Skiing.
No time for any of 'em, except Golf once a week when the snow melts.
CPW

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #60 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Yeah, I play DDR, Magic, and D&D, and am into anime, computers, video editing, etc.
eggosmile.gif

Actually I also play D&D and am into anime, but didn't bother to say so because I was never into anime by definition (I only like good anime: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Serial Experiments: Lain, Miyazaki Hayao), and my D&D group disbanded after playing only about five or six times because three people went to college. We still have enough people, but we are lacking a tiny amount of enthusiasm. And I own DDR, although I am not a DDR nut.

I mean, are we the same person, or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back