What are your best sources for discovering new music?
May 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #46 of 83
I do stream over my home internet connection as well. Over wired connection with my desktop PC or with a WiFi notebook and IPad. Both my phone and home internet service are unlimited. (Sprint 4G and Verizon FiOS 35/35)

MOG and other 320kbps radio sites are the only services that I enjoy streaming for pure listening enjoyment because of the higher bitrate offered. Everything else I use to find other music, so that I might play using MOG, or purchase the physical media to rip.

The type of music that I enjoy the most is not available in large quatities on any subscription music service. While I listen to just about anything, my favorites are Noisia, C4C, Stare & Phibbs, and others in the DnB circle that I have to get from streaming radio to hear anything fresh.

There are glaring ommisions from every subscription music service, but for the cost, having access to such a vast library is quite a bargain. We have so many options available now, everyone should be able to find something that fits their needs. This is like the Golden Age for music fans.

May 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #49 of 83
Forums (suggestion threads like this 
wink.gif
)
Youtube related videos (songs), and internet radios. 

May 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #50 of 83
I really like zune's related artist / album suggestions, found a few good cds that way
headfi, amazon, itunes, friends/coworkers

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #54 of 83
From my daughter!  She turned my on to the Flobots, great rap fusion protest band. I'm almost lost in the sixties but it's rap.  The other place is the allmighty internet. I turned her on to Purcupine Tree.  And on to infinity... (or to many examples to list between us.)  She's a good audio girl.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #55 of 83
"NPR - All Songs Considered" stream generally plays a lot of music that suits my taste and I constantly hear new artists/bands I quite like on there.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #56 of 83
This one is great too: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #59 of 83

Quote:
Frank Zappa is an artist who is not in MOG.  Since I own most of his albums, that's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to listen to some of the stuff I don't own. 

I only stream over wifi so I don't use up my monthly bandwidth allowance.   That could be the difference.

Wow Zappa has like a hundred CD's, you must have a big collection!

Also has anyone tryed this: http://www.gnod.net/  ? It's made one or two good sugestions to me, every once in a while I check it out to see if anything new comes out.
It's no big deal though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back