What are you using to power your mini-dac ?
May 15, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240654

Why two threads?

I'm just running stock all the way with mine thus far. I've only had it for a week, though.

It could be a nit, but I have a hard time believing changing PSU's would make any appreciable differences.

I could be wrong...

It depends on what config the stock PSU is and how much better an "upgraded" one is over the stock. Typically there is a marked improvement going from an unregulated PSU to a regulated PSU. A higher current throughput may also prove useful.

Cheers!

May 19, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 9
I've been using an Elpac supply. Right now I don't have any significant power conditioning on the device. I'm probably going to put something in though, because there is a very small amount of noise present.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm now powering my mini-dac from an SLA battery with a capacitor bank (built by HIPPOhifi, fitted) just prior to the battery. I found a big change when I switched to the SLA supply. The largest part of this I think is down to eliminating a ground loop between what had been my mains powered mini-dac and my SLA powered UA-5 USB soundcard.

The present result (without burn-in) is a far greater and black soundstage, cleaner notes and a liquid presentation to the sounds (which I think is the caps burning-in). Thanks to these changes it now makes a very good headphone amp for my 750's which before it didn't and I consider it now to be well worth the cost
600smile.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

pc (via usb) -> UA-5 -> XV2 -> mini-dac -> balanced 750's

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 9
The blackgate caps are barely beginning their burn-in (I expect this to take 350-500 hours) so their sound is still in its infancy.

SLA direct to mini-dac exhibits a bright, sharp character (nearly painfully bright and sharp) with little bass and a reduction in sound-stage as a result.
Adding in the capacitor bank (at present) provides bass and with it a wider darker sound-stage, better separation of sounds, rounding of notes and with it a much more natural presentation.

I don't know how a capacitor bank (10 x 100uF) compares to a single large (1000uF) capacitor but the latter may be a simple way to add in some bass. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239979

internalstp9.jpg

left side
----------
fuse holder
battery input
charger input (rarely connected)

right side
---------
power out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back