what are you using to drive akg-k1000
Nov 19, 2002 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

miziq

100+ Head-Fier
i will have to get smaller place in my room.Two 300b monolblock are wery nice but bigggggg

since k1000 are 74db an 120 im wondering what are are you guys using as amp..

Somehow i got feeling that tubes are preferd with k1000.. how is with this

thank u.

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 12
I've been using an ASL AQ-1005DT for several months, and of course the sound through my K1000 is amazing. Tonight I connected two ASL Wave monoblocks, and am right now enjoying their sound through the K1000. I can't yet tell whether I notice any difference in sound quality from these different amps. Of course there is a big price difference. The AQ-1005DT costs more than $1,600 new, while the monoblocks cost less than $250. As for your space needs, these amps are not small.

Nov 20, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 12
The RKV Mark II is a very synergistic match with the K1000's. The RKV has plenty of headroom with the volume control under halfway for maximum volume, it has a very full bottom end and is very slightly rolled off in the extreme high end. The K1000's can sound a little bass shy without a good amp match, they also can sound a little brittle in the high end. The RKV/K1000 combo is stunning providing full bass, wonderful midrange, and a extended yet non fatiguing high end. One of the great combinations IMO.

Nov 20, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 12
88sound... what tubes RKV uses.... driver and preamp... how does grace 901 behave with k1000 if u compare them...

Nov 20, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 12
thnx Hirsch... i might make my friend build a custom amp. If u look tha almost no amp provide directly 120 ohm output than making special output transformers match to 120ohms would make this very crucial... do u think that also..

if we look at 74db 1w 1 m than this phones should be driven with at least 60 wats...

i wonder how well k1000 would go with hybrid amp like preamp on tubes and mosfet poweramp..

btw what tubes are in your Fischer Hirsch..

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by miziq

btw what tubes are in your Fischer Hirsch..

The Fisher uses a quad of 7868's as drivers. There are also four 12AX7's in the main signal path (and a host of 12AX7's and other tubes in the phono section and tuner)

Nov 21, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 12
do you have a fm antenna attached? i sometimes find that there's residual fm-music playing against a music-less field (not playing a song). it's for this reason that i shorted my fm leads. and of course the am isn't connected.

anyone selling a carver amp cheap?
biggrin.gif

and do you find that there's a volume thresh-hold where the k1000's sound distorted? i've found that threshold with my sr80's. some recordings just can't be jacked up too high.

don't solid sate amps increase modulation distortion at lower power levels? (maybe the transistors aren't getting enough bias juice?)

i'm anxiously awaiting my k501's. has anyone ever run them straight out of the speaker outputs?

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 12
well, i'm using a Monarchy SM-70... soon to be upgraded to the Pro version. it's 25wpc @ 8ohms... so, it's not a bad match in power ratings with the k1000. it's the lowest powered pure class A solid state amp i could find anyway. if you call akg, they will tell you only to use class A amps...

...but honestly, with this combo, the sound is a bit harsh. but there's a good reason... this amp outputs full power all the way to 20khz!... forget finding a tube amp that even comes close. i've already had several converstaions with Mr. Poon (owner and chief engineer)... and he insists that even at 120 ohms, the response is flat all the way to 20khz.

so... right now i'm looking to buy some ASL Wave 8's to compare with. but if you're interested in the pure truth of the music, the combination of the AKG K1000's ability to sound like super-speakers, and the ultra-flat response of solid state amps will not hide any details, good or bad.

...so, if you're going with solid state, i don't think you can find a better amp for the k1000 than the sm-70, at any price. (there aren't many in this power range.)... but if you're just looking for a nice listening experience, you might want to avoid solid-state amps--tubes which would be more flattering... it's like girls' make-up. ...makes girls pretty, and many just don't look right without it... but man... when you wake up with one in the morning.........
mad.gif
i'd rather just listen to music for what it is.

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
do you have a fm antenna attached? i sometimes find that there's residual fm-music playing against a music-less field (not playing a song). it's for this reason that i shorted my fm leads. and of course the am isn't connected.

No, I haven't done that (don't use radio a lot..well..at all, actually) but the tuner is set to a station that comes in strongly without one. No leakage in my unit.

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 12
Orpheus, nice setup. what do you for the pre-amp stage? or did you modify it with an attenuator?

as to women, there are a lot of Tennessee, Illinois, Wisconsin and Montana girls that look great without makeup
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 12
well today i talked with my friend who builds hiend top class amps and ill go with push pull 60 w itegrated amp. Its combo it has dual outputs (headpones and speakers) it have el 34 and ecc83. This is well recognized builder round england and specialy germany. I have his big 300b monoblocks now.

I think it will go nice with k1000 and he will optimazie one speakr output for k1000 so what else to want.
smily_headphones1.gif

its cost 3700 $ and its build like tank. Fron grid is like 1cm thick aluminium and weight 25 kg.

here is the picture and specs link

http://www.hajdinjaklabs.com/index/Page_11x.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back