What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Sep 27, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #45,887 of 135,910
9fsgnd.jpg

Now playing... "Girl You Need A Change Of Mind" 7:43 (1972)

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #45,888 of 135,910

wink_face.gif

Robyn has such powerful presence and emotional force. I identify with her lyrics alot; feels like she's singing from inside my heart!

I agree with you all. She's absolutely brilliant.

However I can stiil remember school dances from way back when "Do You Really Want Me" was blasting from the PA system, which makes it difficult to give her more recent output an absolutely fair and unbiased evaluation.

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #45,892 of 135,910

Live Art [Live]

Bela Fleck

wea/ 1996

2CD set

Something of a retrospective, Live Art is a treat for both newcomers and aficionados of the eye-popping artistry that is Bela Fleck, not to mention his more-than-capable partners in crime, bassist Victor Wooten and percussionist (well, it's not exactly a drum set he plays) Future Man. This two-disc set features live performances spanning a four-year period, with several guest appearances: Branford Marsalis sits in on "Flying Saucer Dudes," Chick Corea is featured on "The Message," and Bruce Hornsby appears on "More Luv." Several never-before-recorded songs appear here as well--the Scottish-inflected "Lochs of Dread," among others. Favorites like "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo," "UFO Tofu," and "Sinister Minister" are here as well, making this a well-rounded, enjoyable collection for any Fleck fan. Jazz? Folk? Bluegrass? Who knows, but whatever it is, it's well worth hearing. --Genevieve Williams

/ Groovy ~

Nice post and a brilliant album, i always loved the flectones. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #45,893 of 135,910
3 of the best players around - a must see performance. Julian Lage is becoming a very unique player indeed. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #45,894 of 135,910
Today I've been finishing going through the releases I bought from Beatport yesterday.

Rodrigo Deem & Marcos Destefanis - Pastela

Embliss & Ad Brown - Oreon

Deas - The Yellow Dragon

Hells Kitchen - The End of Us

Mr Hart - Looks Back

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #45,895 of 135,910

Queen - The Game - 24/96 DVD-Audio

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #45,896 of 135,910
Sep 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #45,897 of 135,910

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #45,900 of 135,910
 Happy Sad [1969]

Tim Buckley

Buckley's third album saw him move away from the folk-rock sound he had begun his career with and enter new, uncharted territories. Happy Sadfeatured an interesting instrumental lineup with more in common with jazz than folk or rock - Buckley's acoustic 12-string guitar was backed by Lee Underwood's electric Telecaster guitar, John Miller's stand-up bass and David Friedman's vibraphone and marimba.

With the songs all clocking in at over five minutes (and two over ten minutes), he gave these excellent musicians plenty of room to improvise, resulting in a fantastic jazz-folk sound - laid-back and dreamy, the perfect accompaniment to his vocals. He also began to make even greater use of his splendid vocal range, using his voice as an instrument, and his songwriting took on more abstract themes (for the most part abandoning the traditonal verse/chorus song structure).

Interestingly this was the first time a Tim Buckley album included nothing but solo compositions, as before most of his songs had been collaborations with lyricist Larry Beckett.

All these factors added up to create a brilliant album, which marked Buckley out as a truly exciting singer-songwriter, unburdened by the conventions of pop music or the restrictions of genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back