3. Every Little Bit5:33
4. Time Will Do The Talking3:54
5. Mad Mission2:40
6. Poor Man's House4:27
7. Forgiveness5:00
8. You Never Get What You Want3:42
9. Sweet Lorraine5:26
10. Not Alone4:32

An amazing debut from an amazing talent....
October 26, 2000
By E. M. Carey "LGW" (New York, NY USA)

I've heard Patty Griffin say that her debut wasn't exactly her style, that she didn't really want to do an acoustic studio album. However dissatisfied she may be, she has created a masterpiece. Her tremendous voice and poetic lyrics carry the CD beautifully. From the pain of heartbreak in 'Every Little Bit' to the whimsy of 'Mad Mission,' Patty writes songs that tell stories, and then she conveys them with a clear, strong, gorgeously terrific voice.

This album is definitely one of the best I've ever owned. It's hard to imagine that someone can exhibit so much range within a pretty narrow genre, yet Patty manages to do it. Each individual song can stand on its own as vividly and poetically written, beautifully sung and performed; together, they become a seamless, smooth, coherent album, one with enough different pieces to suit whatever mood I'm in. Living With Ghosts is one of the few albums I can listen to over and over and still enjoy the surprises and nuances of every song.

It's become quite common now for other artists to cover Patty's songs, from the Dixie Chicks to Emmylou Harris to Ben Harper (whom I heard sing my all-time favorite Patty song, 'Mary,' which is on her second CD). But no matter how good these other versions - and singers - are, they never quite achieve the power that Patty does. And this is the place to begin getting to know Patty, discovering what others have about the beauty of her music. This CD is innovative yet classic, mellow yet powerful, simple yet complex... it's almost beyond description except to say, again, that it's one of the best I've ever heard or bought and one that everyone should give a try. And after this one, there's the very different treat that is 'Flaming Red,' but that's a whole different story... Just buy this one, settle down, and enjoy the ride of truly great songwriting, singing and music.

~
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back