What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #62,356 of 135,925
Sometimes I have a day where I just feel like listening to synthpop and nothing else. Today is one of those days.

Wildlife Pop by Stepdad

Nocturne of Exploded Crystal Chandelier by Sun Airway

Mountaintops by Mates of State

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #62,362 of 135,925

As much as I want to, I can't seem to get into much of Jazz that most people enjoy: Coltrane, Miles Davis, etc... I love this though - Milt Buckner's organ jams are awesome.  Just look at his facial expressions throughout haha:

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #62,363 of 135,925
  This is quite a good 2015 take on 90's alt rock. Touch of grunge. Good rock album!

A1N-80hjFqL._SL1500_.jpg

and from Amebix fame....love this punk metal album

911uj7NQ7xL._SL1500_.jpg

gorgeous singer/songwriter folkish album inspired by the death of a parent. A new favorite for me in the s/s genre

81opDuEYnGL._SL1500_.jpg

91E27wHrMtL._SL1500_.jpg

81AdD4GO-YL._SL1500_.jpg

61kVNXFVNYL.jpg

Hah, you seem to be shocked!
The band is from the 90s'.
They have a great discography, and actually fit into a vein called Space Rock.

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #62,364 of 135,925
R-1827241-1296997861.jpeg.jpg

Nash The Slash - Children Of The Night

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #62,370 of 135,925
I have a very specific musical craving today, so I dug out all of the Beirut albums I currently own and I'm listening to them sequentially throughout the day. In addition to that, I'm trying to hunt down copies of the two EPs I'm missing (Pompeii and Elephant Gun, both released in 2007) to complete my collection, but I don't think there exist any physical versions of either.

Beirut is often (somewhat unfairly) given the label of "baroque pop", shared with artists like Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett. While there is some similarity in style and fan base between those acts, Beirut is a project with much more eclectic roots than the other two. Whereas Arcade Fire is a rock band with a knack for intelligent arrangements and Owen Pallet is a neoclassical composer turned singer-songwriter, Beirut's brand of "baroque" comes not from western European string arrangements but from Balkan and Latin American folk music, making that label somewhat inaccurate. Zach Condon and his band are masters of adapting traditional horn styles to contemporary songwriting, and until recently their overall sound lined up more with world music than anything in the indie/college radio realm. They're one of the most uniquely talented groups getting play on alternative radio today, and show no signs of stopping with a new album coming out this September.

Gulag Orkestar by Beirut

Lon Gisland EP by Beirut

The Flying Club Cup by Beirut

March of the Zapotec and Realpeople Holland by Beirut

The Rip Tide by Beirut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back