What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 4, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #57,451 of 134,899

-Come to think of it, I can't recall ever having seen you listening to any Motorpsycho albums - I am, incidentally, listening to your avatar right now... :)

Haha, I didn't know anyone actually followed my postings in this thread. Great to meet someone who knows Motorpsycho. Not many people here in Denmark know them. I do listen to them now and then though but I do not post it here every time. Now that you speak of it I will give my favourite album a listen:

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #57,452 of 134,899
Haha, I didn't know anyone actually followed my postings in this thread. Great to meet someone who knows Motorpsycho. Not many people here in Denmark know them.

-I visit this thread just about every day to see what other people listen to, and every time I see that avatar of yours, I get this sudden urge to put on a Motorpsycho album...

I had the good fortune of studying in their home town Trondheim for a few years, and did get my fair share of gigs out of it. :)

They have a pretty small following in Norway, too - their music for the most part isn't that radio-friendly, so you have to go out of your way to listen to them.

(The exception being when the crew of of P3,our youth-focused public radio channel decided they wanted time off to celebrate the turn of the millennium properly, so they put Vortex Surfer on continously for 24 hours. Bent later claimed that royalty check was larger than all others they had received until then combined... :)

Most days, Blissard is my favourite - but I am currently listening to their first Roadworks live effort; as far as live bands go, Motorpsycho is very, very near the top of my list...
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWee7SXLrpE[/VIDEO]

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #57,453 of 134,899
a6e26b8e3cfd8bbe982172c8a6faca03.jpg

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #57,454 of 134,899
12 hours (!) of music for $1. I've only listened to the first two hours, but this massive body of work is very much to my liking. Exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. The philosophy behind it is something I very much respect.

Dirty Knobs - The Hermit Seeks the Stillness
https://zacbentz.bandcamp.com/album/the-hermit-seeks-the-stillness

The new 12 hour album The Hermit Seeks the Stillness is now available to stream in full and pay-what-you-want to download.

It took me a long time to understand what these songs were about.

At first I had an image in my mind of an empty room. A room left to its own devices. Maybe just for a moment, maybe for decades, maybe several lifetimes. The still air slowly drifting motes of dust from one corner to another. Sunlight and the moonlight sliding across the walls and the floor. Objects settling, sighing as they slowly dissolve. Rooms full of automation that still ran, its purpose lost.

Then I read a story (http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit) about a modern-day hermit who managed to live in the woods quite near to society for almost thirty years without anyone ever seeing him. He was eventually captured and sent to jail where he quickly fell to pieces.

When asked what he had learned in all that time alone, he replied "Get enough sleep." Then:

"’What I miss most,’ he eventually continued, ‘is somewhere between quiet and solitude. What I miss most is stillness...I'd stretch out in the water, float on my back, and look at the stars.’"

And there it was. That’s what these recordings were. The stillness. Whether it’s thirty years of it or just the world pausing for a breath for a couple minutes, that’s what I was looking to capture.

It happens to me often, if not often enough. A still moment. Where I live, when it gets very cold (much colder than the winters our hermit friend managed to endure), this is easy to experience. Sometimes, after the temperature nears more-or-less absolute zero for the twelfth day in a row and you step out into that cold, you can imagine atoms sluggishly clinking together. But there are also summer nights when frog-talk is the only sound, or the wind turns the tall trees into a white noise generator. One can try to hold on to these moments of stillness, but they always pass.

These songs are meant to be...not background music exactly. But something to change the environment around the listener. A sort of sideways transportation to artificially slow time, just as those moments of stillness are ultimately artificial. These songs are not meant to capture those moments, but to instead provide a space for those moments to be captured.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #57,455 of 134,899

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #57,460 of 134,899

Your time is gonna come...

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #57,462 of 134,899
Tonight I'm Thinking.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #57,463 of 134,899

Listening to Van Morrison's 'Still on top : the greatest hits & relaxing after clearing/snow blowing my laneway this afternoon in "the Great White North". 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back