What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 21, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #52,430 of 135,873
Currently listening to a more than decent performance by The Grateful Dead - their May 8th, 1977 gig at Cornell University.

In a GD mood today - guess I'll pick a show from ca. 1970 once 8/5/77 is done - The Grateful Dead with Pigpen truly was a band which could turn goat pee into gasoline, to borrow a phrase from The Blues Brothers. :)

May 21, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #52,431 of 135,873
May 21, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #52,434 of 135,873

Finally bought this CD. Yeah, someone will probably wonder, why did I wait so long?

Well, I don't just jump to do what everyone else is doing. That has benefits and drawbacks. Initially, I was turned off by Get Lucky, mostly as a father who didn't appreciate his daughter listening to those lyrics. If you're not a father, then you won't understand that.

Many months later I was far more impressed by the Pentatonix medley of Daft Punk songs. I was honestly far more amazed with their covers than the original songs. I sought out and listened to a few of the originals, which further reinforced my opinion that Pentatonix is amazing when it comes to arranging covers or medleys of other people's music.

Somewhere along the line, I noticed that Daft Punk won a Grammy for this album. That got my attention. So I capitulated and decided to listen to this a bit more. One song stood out to me above the rest: Giorgio by Moroder.

So I bought the CD. My kids both instantly wanted it too. Finally got around to listening to the entire album at length. I still like Giorgio best. But a few more of them have grown on me. I probably like 1/2 of the album after listening to it for a while. There are some hidden gems in there. I'm particularly impressed with the drum work on Contact. Doin' it Right also sits well with me.

I notice with some curiosity that these guys use the Vocoder exclusively whenever they sing, to create their "robot" vocal effect. I suppose that's why they hide behind their helmets, it just makes the sound effect work better. In any case, they turned out to be far more interesting to listen to, after I got over my dislike of Get Lucky's lyrics.

May 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #52,435 of 135,873
May 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #52,437 of 135,873

thanks for posting - parts of her vocal on the track "glory" sounded like Maynard James Keenan which I found very surprising. Is the album Good?

May 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #52,438 of 135,873

Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans  -  Know what I mean?

Sohn - Tremors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back