What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 22, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #50,329 of 135,672
"Benji" - Sun Kil Moon (one of my favorites so far this year...)

But it's only February! What are some of your other favorites? I haven't heard Benji yet, but big Kozelek fan, so any year he has some new music out it is likely to be near the top of my list. Well, that might not be true since last one I bought was April, but it was one of the best.

Can't say that I've heard anything that special yet this year, though I do like that Black Dirt Oak I talked about a little in the 2014 thread. And The Notwist, but haven't really decided how much I like it yet, wish it was mastered more like Neon Golden (or likely the Sun Kil Moon, or surely the Black Dirt Oak). Anyway, not much idea yet what is on the horizon. Mary Timony is supposed to have a new one with her new band Ex Hex coming soon, sounds very cool so far based on live clips and the single.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #50,330 of 135,672

"Benji" - Sun Kil Moon (one of my favorites so far this year...)

But it's only February! What are some of your other favorites? I haven't heard Benji yet, but big Kozelek fan, so any year he has some new music out it is likely to be near the top of my list. Well, that might not be true since last one I bought was April, but it was one of the best.

Can't say that I've heard anything that special yet this year, though I do like that Black Dirt Oak I talked about a little in the 2014 thread. And The Notwist, but haven't really decided how much I like it yet, wish it was mastered more like Neon Golden (or likely the Sun Kil Moon, or surely the Black Dirt Oak). Anyway, not much idea yet what is on the horizon. Mary Timony is supposed to have a new one with her new band Ex Hex coming soon, sounds very cool so far based on live clips and the single.

"Benji" is GOOD. I loved "April," but this one is different. It's in the lyrics. I also really like the new album "Flesh + blood" by the John Butler Trio, and the new album "Emmaar" by Tinariwen. I've got quite a few pre-orders in the cart. I think that this is going to be a good year...I need to check out "Black Dirt Oak"

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #50,332 of 135,672
...I need to check out "Black Dirt Oak"

Sounds a little like that Three Mile Pilot odds and ends, An Old Town We Once Knew that I think you like. Has that relaxed and rambling sound, though the music is a bit different, maybe a little more bluesy, not many vocals, but some. Sounds a bit like Can at times. Kind of like that Tracker Polk record that I like a lot, but it is a little more weird. Just one part of the whole, and the CD does sound a lot better, but a reasonable sample ...

I don't really know the John Butler Trio, but I know of them, or maybe I've just heard the name. What is that like? What would be something good to sample?

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #50,334 of 135,672

...I need to check out "Black Dirt Oak"

Sounds a little like that Three Mile Pilot odds and ends, An Old Town We Once Knew that I think you like. Has that relaxed and rambling sound, though the music is a bit different, maybe a little more bluesy, not many vocals, but some. Sounds a bit like Can at times. Kind of like that Tracker Polk record that I like a lot, but it is a little more weird. Just one part of the whole, and the CD does sound a lot better, but a reasonable sample ...

I don't really know the John Butler Trio, but I know of them, or maybe I've just heard the name. What is that like? What would be something good to sample?

Yes, you know me, I'm liking that. Where can you get that on CD? Amazon only has it on vinyl...

John Butler Trio - 

Blame It On Me...
http://www.amazon.com/Flesh-Blood-John-Butler-Trio/dp/B00H5D52XK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1393111449&sr=1-1&keywords=john+butler+trio

Zebra...
http://www.amazon.com/Sunrise-Over-Sea-Internet-Album/dp/B0012EF1MK/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1393111600&sr=1-4

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #50,335 of 135,672
James Blake - Limit to your love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2kXzP7-UTc

The LCD-3 is vibrating so much lol

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #50,336 of 135,672
  Yes, you know me, I'm liking that. Where can you get that on CD? Amazon only has it on vinyl...

Thanks, I'll give those a listen. I don't know that Black Dirt Oak has gotten a CD release yet, may be worth waiting for, but I just did the paypal download ... http://mie.limitedrun.com/products/521748-black-dirt-oak-wawayanda-patent ... probably available other places too.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean now, I'm the one that said CD, my mistake, I just have the MP3 download. It does sound better than youtube, but the vinyl probably would be a step up, as would a full resolution CD. I'd guess a CD would be coming.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #50,337 of 135,672
A few new purchases:

Stand Up by Dave Matthews Band

My Shame Is True by Alkaline Trio

Infinite Arms by Band of Horses

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #50,338 of 135,672
Spirits of the Dead, a terrific norweigan psychedelic and progressive rock band.

Rumours of a Presence is rock-*******-solid from cover to cover, with maybe one exception in seaweed. 

The Great God Pan. Goldberry and Leaves of Last Year's Fall are immediate standouts. 

I'm convinced that these guys have something special going. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back