What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 9, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #58,292 of 135,873

Amazing film, and very unique composer. Have you got anything else by Philip Glass? I just got done scouring the library for his music, and I've got almost everything the dude has written.

Give a try some other minimalist composers, like Arvo Part ( Tabula Rasa, For Alina being the first, that come to mind).

I would recommend Arvo Pärt as well. I have around 15 of his albums and I think I would say he is probably my favorite composer of all time. His masterpieces are unparalleled in their divine beauty. Having started teaching myself to play the piano recently, I even have the sheet music for three of his works: Für Alina, Spiegel im Spiegel, and Variationen zur Gesundung von Arinuschka. The best starting point for any unfamiliar with his work would definitely be the album Tabula Rasa on ECM. The only thing it lacks is an example of Pärt's sublime choral works. For that there are several great albums out there. Kanon pokajanen is my personal favorite, but it might be a bit too large a work as a first introduction.

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #58,294 of 135,873

I would recommend Arvo Pärt as well. I have around 15 of his albums and I think I would say he is probably my favorite composer of all time. His masterpieces are unparalleled in their divine beauty. Having started teaching myself to play the piano recently, I even have the sheet music for three of his works: Für Alina, Spiegel im Spiegel, and Variationen zur Gesundung von Arinuschka. The best starting point for any unfamiliar with his work would definitely be the album Tabula Rasa on ECM. The only thing it lacks is an example of Pärt's sublime choral works. For that there are several great albums out there. Kanon pokajanen is my personal favorite, but it might be a bit too large a work as a first introduction.

Arvo Part is one of my favourite composers. One of the latest of my favourite composers ("mystic minimalists") is Pēteris Vasks, you could find most popular of his works in youtube.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #58,295 of 135,873

Smooth McGroove - VGM Acapella: Volume 2
https://smoothmcgroove.bandcamp.com/album/vgm-acapella-volume-2

OMG this guy is amazing. Just discovered him on YouTube. I've wishlisted his stuff so hard.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #58,296 of 135,873
  Arvo Part is one of my favourite composers. One of the latest of my favourite composers ("mystic minimalists") is Pēteris Vasks, you could find most popular of his works in youtube.

If you haven't already heard it, try this piece. 'Et Expecto' is one of my favourite works of Olivier Messiaen. I don't like all of his music, but this is a good place to start.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #58,298 of 135,873
51gpadURLML.jpg
91Ka5d%2Bf0CL._SY355_.jpg

51MTvkmDM0L._SY355_.jpg
41wiLlXIYcL._SX425_.jpg

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #58,302 of 135,873

Users who are viewing this thread

Back