What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #52,414 of 134,918

András Schiff - Bach: Six Partitas

May 20, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #52,424 of 134,918
71N%2BLJfpViL._SL1278_.jpg
71FKaYMU4TL._SL1075_.jpg

619JWKQEVYL.jpg

The 80's marked my adolescence. I got this double Whitesnake anthology as a throwback to my misbegotten youth! Goofy as heck-but I do have a soft spot for well done 70's influenced hard blues based rock.

Like many, Slide it In (yes-that is actually the name of an album)-their huge MTV break out album was my introduction. But, it's the early songs I hadn't heard that I really like-70's sounding hard rock blues-some might say Zeppelin rip off artists. But, the early stuff is really strong IMO. Deep Purple is an obvious reference point and not nearly as cheesy as the Whitesnake I listened to a few years later.

Here is an Amazon review that pretty well nails it:

By R. Gorham
Format:Audio CD

THE BAND: David Coverdale and an assortment of players from the late 1970's through the late 90's. Most notably playing on one or more Whitesnake albums: John Sykes (guitar), Steve Vai (guitar), Adrian Vandenberg (guitar), Micky Moody (guitar), Rudy Sarzo (bass), Neil Murray (bass), Jon Lord (keyboards/organ), Tommy Aldridge (drums), Aynsley Dunbar (drums), Ian Paice (drums), Cozy Powell (drums).

THE DISC: (2006) 33 songs on 2 discs clocking in at approximately 155 minutes (Disc-1 at 77 minutes, Disc-2 at 78). Included with the disc is an 18-page booklet containing band photos through the years, a 4-page intro to the band, song titles/credits, what songs came from which albums, and Billboard chart success. This compilation follows the band from 1978-93 (with the exception of the unreleased track). Label - Geffen.

ALBUM REPRESENTATION: Trouble (2 songs), Snakebite (1), Love Hunter (3), Ready An' Willing (3), Live in The Heart Of The City (2), Come An' Get It (2), Saints & Sinners (1), Slide It In (5), Whitesnake (5), Slip Of The Tongue (5), Coverdale/Page (2), Soundtrack/Days Of Thunder (1), Unreleased (1).

THE GOOD: The staples are all here - "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City", "Fool For Your Loving" (2x), "Victim Of Love", "Slide It In", "Slow An' Easy", "Love Ain't No Stranger", "Here I Go Again", "Still Of The Night", "Give Me All Your Love", "Crying In The Rain", "Is This Love", "The Deeper The Love", "Judgment Day", etc. The deep album cuts are plentiful

Liner notes are extensive. The songs are in chronological order so you can hear the band change over the decades - The disc space is utilized to its fullest, and the remastered sound is crisp.

THE NOT SO GOOD: Disc-1 rocks. Disc-2 has as many power ballads as it does rockers... but this was the direction of the band and its music. Don't get me wrong - this is a great set of discs - but my Whitesnake preference lies in the harder/faster songs. Only 1 song each from underrated albums "Snakebite" and "Saints & Sinners". Geffen hit the nail on the head with "Gold" as far as the track selection goes. There are 5 remix/alternative mix selections here (many listeners may prefer the original studio versions... like me). The unreleased track is a throwaway... closer to a Michael Bolton song than Whitesnake.  if you're looking for an in-depth compilation, this "Gold" is the place to start (5 stars).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: This was a guilty purchase to round out the 80's portion of my library. One of those-"what music are you embarrassed about listening to". However, I'm surprised how much I find this anthology quite enjoyable.

It reminds me ultimately (disc 1) how much I liked Deep Purple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back