What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #50,956 of 134,870

Do you know this ?

I'm Kidding
biggrin.gif
  Thks for the recommandation! Nice album Indeed. It reminds me this album :

My first listen to Jazz music when  I was Kid !

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #50,957 of 134,870
  Free jazz doesn't scare me i just tend to like free jazz with a fixed or defined rhythm section if that makes sense. If its too meandering i loose interest. thanks for the suggestion. 

I asked on the jazz thread as well and got different answers so i will check them all and see what I like. 

Do you like the Claudia quintet? I got 2 albums of theirs recently that i thought were excellent.

Free jazz or not, I prefer drummers whose role isn't to keep time, if that was even what you were referring to. Bass players who play a "walking bassline" bore me to death. I vastly enjoy the reversal of the traditional roles of the rhythm section and the brass players on the Miles Davis track Nefertiti. I would wish to hear more music like that. I also find drummer Pete La Roca's philosophy of stating the beat and then occasionally implying it quite fascinating as well. He says you don't need to keep it going because it's already happening and the pulse is there, and that gives the drummer more freedom and allows him or her to play fever notes if they want. Rashied Ali's multidirectional drumming also melts me in my seat every time. These just my own preferences of course.

The Coltrane albums I named were very personal selections; the typical albums people would name can be a bit different, but I've always gone with what has earned my personal stamp of approval and not what others have told me is good. Coltrane was certainly prolific and even though he is my favorite musician of all time I've yet to hear even close to all of his studio albums, let alone the myriad of live recordings that exist. There are so many great records to choose from, most enthusiasts have their own unique personal favorite Trane record. I've heard some say for them it's Sun Ship, there are others who prefer Ballads. Of the ones I named, I highly recommend checking out Crescent. It is an often overlooked masterpiece that sadly seems to have forever been doomed to be in A Love Supreme's shadow as the album that preceded that pivotal record. Most people I know who have heard Crescent would name it as one of their favorite Coltrane records, many of them even as their all-time favorite.

I've never heard Claudia Quintet, no. A quick Spotify search turned out fruitless as well. I haven't heard much contemporary jazz outside the ACT label (and ECM at times I guess). Most modern jazz I've heard seems to lack what I seek in jazz – cold and calculated, lacking in spirit.

I just got back from hearing Pekka Kuusisto perform the Sibelius violin concerto with his brother Jaakko Kuusisto conducting. That was all the music I needed to hear for today. This was my first time hearing an orchestra live in ten years. It was certainly an interesting experience. I'll be attending another concert on Saturday with Iiro Rantala, Lars Danielsson, Cæcilie Norby and Jarmo Saari performing with my town's All Star Big Band. It will certainly be an even more interesting experience.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #50,959 of 134,870

Quote:
  My four current favorite Coltrane albums are probably Crescent, Ascension, The Olatunji Concert and Interstellar Space, in no particular order. If free jazz is a thing that scares you, then a couple of my more conservative favorites in addition to Crescent are Coltrane Jazz, Olé Coltrane and A Love Supreme.

Edit:
My Favorite Things is also an essential album in any record collection for the title track alone, which I would consider to be one of the pinnacle moment in the history of recorded music.

Good stuff...I've been exploring Coltrane.

Agreed-he was so prolific you could spend years digesting his catalog.

Thus far- I would recommend Blue Train as a great, accessible introduction. I found this collection-2 CD's, 3 albums. Dekar is quite nice as an addition to Blue Train in one collection:

I've got Crescent and I agree it's very enjoyable. My Favorite Things and Even his Coltrane Johnny Harman (gorgeous male vocals) is nice.

I'm a little sketchy on full on free jazz-I tried streaming Ascension and just couldn't get through it.

Currently, I'm enjoying his transition into free jazz, before he went full on. That said.....

I think the Africa Brass sessions and Ole Coltrane are great. Africa/Brass was just flat out cool. He was starting to experiment. For you fellow metal lovers out there...you can actually hear the beginning of "drone" in some of this work and the experimentations with folk ("Greensleeves") and African rhythms is interesting. The dude was so far ahead of his time:

My top rave right now is the Complete Vanguard recordings-a good middle ground..experimental, but not too far out. Considered by many to be one of the most significant jazz concerts in the Vanguard series along with the likes of Bill Evan and Sonny Rollins. It's 4 CDs recorded from a series of concerts from 1961 before he recorded A Love Supreme. It's really good! Pretty experimental. At the time considered radical. The liner notes explain that some reviewers at the time called it "anti-jazz" and yet it was just a stepping stone. An artist pushing his boundaries. I picked this box set from Amazon at very good price.

Just scratching the surface.....

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #50,961 of 134,870

Free jazz or not, I prefer drummers whose role isn't to keep time, if that was even what you were referring to. Bass players who play a "walking bassline" bore me to death. I vastly enjoy the reversal of the traditional roles of the rhythm section and the brass players on the Miles Davis track Nefertiti. I would wish to hear more music like that. I also find drummer Pete La Roca's philosophy of stating the beat and then occasionally implying it quite fascinating as well. He says you don't need to keep it going because it's already happening and the pulse is there, and that gives the drummer more freedom and allows him or her to play fever notes if they want. Rashied Ali's multidirectional drumming also melts me in my seat every time. These just my own preferences of course.

The Coltrane albums I named were very personal selections; the typical albums people would name can be a bit different, but I've always gone with what has earned my personal stamp of approval and not what others have told me is good. Coltrane was certainly prolific and even though he is my favorite musician of all time I've yet to hear even close to all of his studio albums, let alone the myriad of live recordings that exist. There are so many great records to choose from, most enthusiasts have their own unique personal favorite Trane record. I've heard some say for them it's Sun Ship, there are others who prefer Ballads. Of the ones I named, I highly recommend checking out Crescent. It is an often overlooked masterpiece that sadly seems to have forever been doomed to be in A Love Supreme's shadow as the album that preceded that pivotal record. Most people I know who have heard Crescent would name it as one of their favorite Coltrane records, many of them even as their all-time favorite.

I've never heard Claudia Quintet, no. A quick Spotify search turned out fruitless as well. I haven't heard much contemporary jazz outside the ACT label (and ECM at times I guess). Most modern jazz I've heard seems to lack what I seek in jazz – cold and calculated, lacking in spirit.

I just got back from hearing Pekka Kuusisto perform the Sibelius violin concerto with his brother Jaakko Kuusisto conducting. That was all the music I needed to hear for today. This was my first time hearing an orchestra live in ten years. It was certainly an interesting experience. I'll be attending another concert on Saturday with Iiro Rantala, Lars Danielsson, Cæcilie Norby and Jarmo Saari performing with my town's All Star Big Band. It will certainly be an even more interesting experience.

As for the timing, im not saying that im a walking baseline strictly 4/4 or 5/4 kinda guy and i don't mind when drummers or base players take sharp right or left turns but i do like the songs to have an over all shape that I can identify. For instance i find Miles Davis - bitches brew a bit shapeless at times. I never really liked that album - I just cant get into it. For me all the feeling and groove is gone. It sounds empty to me even though its anything but. Then on the flip side i really like Ornette colemans "the shape of jazz to come" and "free jazz". I don't even think i can say what the differences between these 3 albums are but i do know that i definitely don't like "bitches brew" and i do like "the shape of jazz to come" - the drumming on that track is incredible especially his cymbal work, those hats!

here is a track from the Claudia quintet `¬ you might like it and you might not. their style isn't easily defined and i think they pull sounds from all over the epoch of jazz

also its not all like this, each album is a lot different from the one before - i just cant find anymore tracks on youtube. Out of the several albums that they have i really like 3 and not so much the rest, for now at least. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #50,964 of 134,870
My latest purchases:

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #50,965 of 134,870
Skrillex "Recess" Hi-Rez from HD Tracks.

SUPERLUX HD681 Evo :L3000:

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #50,968 of 134,870

As much as we strive to find the best listening setup, this thread proves to me we also strive to find the best music.

This is not the best recording I've ever heard, but it's definitely some of the best music I've ever heard.

All of the songs are great, but I particularly enjoy Deacon Blues.

My back to the wall
A victim of laughing chance
This is for me
The essence of true romance
Sharing the things we know and love
With those of my kind
Libations
Sensations
That stagger the mind

I crawl like a viper
Through these suburban streets
Make love to these women