What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #49,546 of 135,707
KING / BLUIETT TRIO

Makin' Whoopee: Tribute to the King Cole Trio

Hamiet Bluiett’s heartfelt tribute to the Nat King Cole Trio—by far the most original I’ve ever heard. Bluiett describes his inspiration: “I wanted to focus on Nat as a pianist, not as a vocalist. He was a formidable pianist, ‘anointed’ as they say in the church. He could get to your soul like no other.” Hamiet’s joined here by contrabass giant Keter Betts blending warmly with Rodney Jones’ sweet acoustic guitar—or with Ed Cherry’s bluesy electric guitar. A perfect intro to Bluiett’s stunning, huge baritone sound. The breathtaking balladry on “These Foolish Things” and “Sweet Lorraine” is leavened by foot-patting swingers like “Walkin’ My Baby Home” or “Gee Baby Ain’t I Good To You”. This is one of my two or three best-sounding studio recordings. A Fi SuperDisc. (#04832)
Hamiet Bluiett, bari sax/contrabass clarinet 
Keter Betts, bass 
Rodney Jones, aqcoustic guitar/synthesizer 
Ed Cherry, electric guitar* 
Gali Sanchez, percussion ** 
Myrrh, narration **

TRACK LISTING:
MAKIN' WHOOPEE (G.Kahn & W.Donaldson)* Listen to Sample
ROUTE 66 (B.Troup) * **
WHEN I FALL IN LOVE (E.Heyman &V.Young)
STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY RIGHT (N.K.Cole & I.Mills) Listen to Sample
THESE FOOLISH THINGS (H.Link, J.Strachey & E.Maschwitz) Listen to Full Song
PAPER MOON (B.Rose, H.Arlen & E.Harvurg)
SWEET LORRAINE (C.Burwell & M.Parish)
GEE BABY AIN'T I GOOD TO YOUR (A.Razaf & D.Redman)
WALKIN' MY BABY HOME (F.Ahlert 7 R.Turk)
CHRISTMAS SONG (R.Wells & M.Rorme)*

REVIEWS:
Positive Feedback:
reviewed by Rick Gardner
I think this is my favorite of the new issues from Mapleshade. Obviously, it is an homage to the Nat King Cole Trio. Tasty it is too. ...The disc is a pure joy from beginning to end. Sax, bass and guitar, intimately recorded. Great sax sound; meaty, big and bouncy, as it were. Sure there is comfort in the old songs, but there is also fresh life infused by this talented group. Nicely done..

mapleshade_line.jpg

CMJ:
reviewed by James Lien
You've got to hand it to Hamiet Bluiett for undertaking a jazz tribute to Nat King Cole without even inviting a piano player. Nevertheless, rather remarkably, the venerable Bluiett ends up offering a heartfelt tribute to Cole's trio, with his robust baritone sax taking the place of the entire 88 keys of the piano.
The CD is superb overall, but one cut of particular and immediate note is the version of Route 66, reinterpreted as a cross-country journey set as a jazz poem. (Dig how when they get out west, the percussionist comes in with Indian tom-tom beats, or how Hamiet's sax impersonates car horns to represent the freeway).
It's remarkable: The kind of unexpected cut that can make a good jazz show into a truly great one, and one of the main reasons whyMakin' Whoopee is a real keeper.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #49,551 of 135,707

I'm hooked. I read several glowing reviews earlier in 2013 and listened to this album on Rhapsody. I couldn't rap my head around it at first. It was just too weird. Listened to it again about a month ago and it hit me. Just bought it. This music transcends electronic music. It's something else. Cult like, tribal. Much like the Swans Seer it's sum is greater than it's parts and listening to feels like a ritual. I think this album is genius.

I've been slowly adding the Dylan bootlegs this year. I like this one a lot. It's got terrific energy.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #49,553 of 135,707

The second most number of hit singles by a former Beatle is none other than Ringo. This is my favorite Ringo album. 
This album is the last time the four living Beatles would work together, but recorded separate, on an album. Harrison wrote "Photograph" Lennon wrote "I'm The Greatest" and McCartney "Six O'Clock"
The Band, Harry Niilson and all of the former Beatles contributed or played on the majority of the songs including friends from the early days of The Beatles Klaus Voorman and Billy Preston.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #49,555 of 135,707
  Wow, come back to something fantastic. I'm a fan of the track A Cherry On Top personally. Also happen to have a copy of Deep Cuts lying around here somewhere, like how most people got into them. But of course everyone loves Silent Shout.

That is a good one, but for me it's the totality of the album. The massive sonic swathe....the scope of the nearly 100 minutes of music....such a range of sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back