What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #41,341 of 135,929
Quote:
What do you mean?

Listen to The 2nd Law: Unsustainable in its entirety. To me it's just a huge sellout, and a pathetic attempt to be more hip. I never liked that kind of music, and it sure as hell isn't why I listen to Muse.
A friend of mine made me aware of this track. He'd been listening to The 2nd Law for the fist time, enjoying Muse and the album overall. But when Unsustainable came on, his jaw dropped. He actually had to get up his phone to see that he was in fact still listening to Muse. The first thing he did when he saw me next was force me to listen to it, and I couldn't really believe it either. This is about as far from Muse as you can get, certainly the farthest any actual Muse track has ever been. I didn't like it one bit.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #41,342 of 135,929
Quote:

Listen to The 2nd Law: Unsustainable in its entirety. To me it's just a huge sellout, and a pathetic attempt to be more hip. I never liked that kind of music, and it sure as hell isn't why I listen to Muse.
A friend of mine made me aware of this track. He'd been listening to The 2nd Law for the fist time, enjoying Muse and the album overall. But when Unsustainable came on, his jaw dropped. He actually had to get up his phone to see that he was in fact still listening to Muse. The first thing he did when he saw me next was force me to listen to it, and I couldn't really believe it either. This is about as far from Muse as you can get, certainly the farthest any actual Muse track has ever been. I didn't like it one bit.

I see your argument, but its overlooking the purpose of Muse and their music. If you've been a fan of theirs since the beginning, you've watched them grow. Muse is a group that has pushed to develop a reason for their sound. It isn't just because they are seeking popularity, as there is more to that. If you heard their previous works, you should pick up their messages. In example, The Resistance provided a lyrical cry for a libertarian revolution. For The 2nd Law, the concept being conveyed is defined with the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Using the 2nd law as a mask, they are stating that an economy based on endless growth is unsustainable. So why the dubstep then? Sure, Bellamy must have had his reasons/influences for giving Muse such a sound. Yet still, it really does fit. Dubstep is an electronically produced form of music. It helps define the music of the new and digital age. It isn't necessarily a predictable or completely structured form of music, which helps contribute to the idea of unsustainability.  Yes, we all love music and I'm sure many would have preferred Muse to have retained 'their' sound, but one can only put on the same act for so long..

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #41,343 of 135,929
Quote:
I see your argument, but its overlooking the purpose of Muse and their music. If you've been a fan of theirs since the beginning, you've watched them grow. Muse is a group that has pushed to develop a reason for their sound. It isn't just because they are seeking popularity, as there is more to that. If you heard their previous works, you should pick up their messages. In example, The Resistance provided a lyrical cry for a libertarian revolution. For The 2nd Law, the concept being conveyed is defined with the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Using the 2nd law as a mask, they are stating that an economy based on endless growth is unsustainable. So why the dubstep then? Sure, Bellamy must have had his reasons/influences for giving Muse such a sound. Yet still, it really does fit. Dubstep is an electronically produced form of music. It helps define the music of the new and digital age. It isn't necessarily a predictable or completely structured form of music, which helps contribute to the idea of unsustainability.  Yes, we all love music and I'm sure many would have preferred Muse to have retained 'their' sound, but one can only put on the same act for so long..

Good point, and for me dubstep might fit the message of unsustainability even better, as I find the entire genre unsustainable. I personally believe dubstep will be forgotten in a few years.
However, music should be music first, and not message first. I regard most of Muses music as timeless, despite their heavy use of electronical instruments. The "real" instruments were the focus, the electronical just added to the whole. I doubt Unsustainable will ever be considered timeless, or be seen as a classic. It will be a forgotten curiosity.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #41,344 of 135,929
Seems to me Muse has become this generations version of Queen. Great artistry and orchestral arrangements with great song writing....I just always feel they are similar. Good thing too, I really liked Queen's work.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #41,345 of 135,929
Albert Lee - Roadrunner

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #41,346 of 135,929
Quote:

You might want to tell that to The Rolling Stones:)

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #41,347 of 135,929
Quote:

I still can't get over the second to last track on this album.
What happened to Muse?

I hope re-release doesn't mean they just brickwalled the original. Though I wouldn't get my hopes up, as this does seem to be the trend...

The name of the song says it all  "Unsustainable."  That is the point.  Give Muse credit for stretching out. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #41,349 of 135,929
RAY - Genius 

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #41,352 of 135,929
Quote:
The name of the song says it all  "Unsustainable."  That is the point.  Give Muse credit for stretching out. 

I will not give anyone credit for doing dubstep. Ever.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #41,354 of 135,929
ゆにめも (uniMemo) - 短剣と冒険者の服 (A Dagger and a Venturer's Clothes)​

A phenomenal album. Definitely one of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back