What are those tube surround things called?!
Mar 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

simwells

100+ Head-Fier
I'm procuring parts for my Bijou build and was wondering what those tube surrounds are that are sometimes used in DIY builds, as in the ring like grommet type objects fitted to the casing itself. Also do these help to minimise heat transference to the casing?

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 12
They're called tube dampers. They're supposed to reduce audible distortions from microphonics. As far as I'm aware, they don't make any difference with regards to heat transfer to the casing. They can be purchased on eBay, amongst other places.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't mean tube dampers I mean the rings fitted onto the casing itself that the tubes will partially go through to be plugged in. They don't touch any part of the tube.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 12
No, I'm obviously not explaining this will, I think they're purely used to make the holes for tubes cleaner looking and may not even be designed for tubes but they are literally just a ring that fits into a drilled hole that the tubes can then be pushed through to plug in, let me see if I can find an example.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 12
It's these bezel types objects that I mean,

IMG_2116.jpg

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anymore of such sites?

They're just bushings, period. And Mouser carries a ton of them:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/641/1850.pdf

It's cheating, really - an easy way to cover up a large tube hole that's not so cleanly cut.
wink.gif

P.S. That said, I've used a lot of them.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back