What are the top sound isolating non-IEM headphones?
Dec 6, 2005 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
I'm running into a problem using my RS-1's at work, sound leakage. I have my own office so its not like I'm disturbing people but I am surround by a lot of ambient computer noise. I'm at the point where I may have to sell my RS-1/RA-1 and go for something different to use at work.

So what's out there?

The only one I know of at this point is the ATH L3K (which I believe is sold out anyway).

I haven't made up my mind about it since I've always loved my RS-1's (though a tad uncomfortable from time to time when I don't wear them for a while).

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 10
If you're only concern is sound escaping and being heard by other people (as opposed to the headphones keeping you from hearing outside sounds), then I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770/80 (especially the Headphile Woody-modded version). This really is a wonderful headphone, and no-one will be able to hear anything you are playing at all. They are also supremely comfortable, you could easily wear them all day.

If you want isolation from outside sounds, the best at that is the Sennheiser HD25-1. The DT770, and the Senn HD-280 are relatively poor at isolating low-frequency outside sounds (like jet noise) -- I have tried. The HD25-1's don't sound as good, and are not nearly as comfortable, but the isolate VERY well (ever notice they are used extensively by sportscasters?).

I have never heard or tried the AKG 271, as I have read it has a lightweight tonal balance which does not suit me.

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 10
Your using the beloved RS-1's, you are thinking about a closed set of cans, in the L3000, heck, why not just get an R10!!
tongue.gif
Of course, I'm just kidding. Why not try the A900! Basically, you need a closed set of cans, if IEM's are not your thing. I am in love
redface.gif
with my CD3000's, and I can't hear much from around me.
3000smile.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Your using the beloved RS-1's, you are thinking about a closed set of cans, in the L3000, heck, why not just get an R10!!
tongue.gif
Of course, I'm just kidding. Why not try the A900! Basically, you need a closed set of cans, if IEM's are not your thing. I am in love
redface.gif
with my CD3000's, and I can't hear much from around me.
3000smile.gif

I'm not a real big fan of the R-10 to be honest. Its got a very laid back presentation (a la Sennish, no offense to Team R10).

So Beyerdynamic are closed, didn't actually realize that. A900? Hmmm, never heard it before!

Any others?

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 10
There's a company that makes phones that are essentially rifle range type safty earphones with nice dynamic drivers built in. they work really for drummers in studio situations. They would probably give you the most issolation of any phones. I don't know the name thought. Lets see If I can find a link. Anyone?

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
If you want isolation from outside sounds, the best at that is the Sennheiser HD25-1. The DT770, and the Senn HD-280 are relatively poor at isolating low-frequency outside sounds (like jet noise) -- I have tried. The HD25-1's don't sound as good, and are not nearly as comfortable, but the isolate VERY well (ever notice they are used extensively by sportscasters?).

Interesting comments on the HD280 and DT770 on airplanes.

Does the HD25-SP isolate the same as the HD25-1?

How did the HD280 do overall on the plane, besides the low-frequency issue? (Comfort is important to me.)

Cheers.

Dec 6, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggitty
Interesting comments on the HD280 and DT770 on airplanes.

Does the HD25-SP isolate the same as the HD25-1?

How did the HD280 do overall on the plane, besides the low-frequency issue? (Comfort is important to me.)

Cheers.

I have never heard/owned a 25-SP, so I can't comment.

The HD-280 did OK on the plane, pretty comfortable, but circumaural sealed cans seem to actually accentuate low-frequency steady-state noise on airplanes. They really do not work well. The HD25-1 was the only full-sized can that for me was effective on an airplane (and I travel a lot so it was great to figure that out).

I am not big on IEM's.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 10
I used to fly with Bose Quiet Comfort headphones. Bass? Sucks.

Accuracy? Not bad, but not good.

Then I tried the Etymonics 4P. GREAT isolation from the airplane. Great bass! Great accuracy.

I'm SURE there are better, and I have some in mind, but some isolating canal phones can really do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back