What are the most comfortable IEM canal earbugs?
Nov 29, 2005 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

goto2003

500+ Head-Fier
I had a pair of ER4 but found it's a pain to use it for more than a few minutes. Just wonder what are the most comfortable canal earbugs?

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
I had a pair of ER4 but found it's a pain to use it for more than a few minutes. Just wonder what are the most comfortable canal earbugs?

If you want maximum comfortability I would suggest a pair of custom IEM's, such as Sensaphonics 2x, UE-10 Pro, or Westone E2. I have a pair of UM2's with custom UM56 tips that fit so comfortably if it weren't for the music and isolation I wouldn't know they were even there. I would assume custom canalphones would be even more comfy. The sound with custom tips is a big step up from any of the standard or "modded" tips as well. I had Etymotic ER-4P's previously as well, and it took some time getting used to them. I did find the black foamies the most comfortable although I did use the tri-flanges as well. The thing that sucks about ER-4P's is that they have to penetrate a lot deeper than other IEM's to get the desired seal. My customs go in deeper I'm sure, but they're customs...big difference than a tri-flange. Even without custom tips, UM2 is pretty comfortable and not as "invasive". Shure E4's I can vouch for also, having had them for a couple months. Comfortability on a par with UM2, but I prefer the extra oomph and soundstage of a dual driver IEM.

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 13
The ones that don't go very deep in your ear: any of the UE super.fi series, or semi-IEMs (Sony ex71/ex81, Sharp MD33/Creative EP-630, Panasonic HJE50/HJE70)

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

well customs of course. But the er6i are still small and dont weigh to much, so they aren't bad either. I am just not sure you like the feeling of having something in your ears.

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
[....] I am just not sure you like the feeling of having something in your ears.

The same thought crossed my mind. Before you're going to spend your money on those expensive custom IEMs make sure you're sure you really want them. That said, my UE-10 are indeed waaaay more comfortable than my ER-4s, but I never thought they're too uncomfortable.

Which tips have you tried? I have very small ear canals so I know how uncomfortable "wrong" tips can get....

Marcus

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 13
I have made a custom tips for my ER4B. There are two problems:

1.the sound signature changed to a style (brighter) not so enjoyalbe to me when using the custom tips;

2. Yes, I don't like something stuck deep in my ear.

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I have made a custom tips for my ER4B. There are two problems:

1.the sound signature changed to a style (brighter) not so enjoyalbe to me when using the custom tips;

2. Yes, I don't like something stuck deep in my ear.

Are you saying you made your own custom tips? How exactly did you do that?

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOKROX
Any IEM canal bud that uses the words "comfy soft cush velvity..." in its sales
pitch. Of course they could be lying.

If they misspell "velvety" I'm not sure I trust their build quality, either
etysmile.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 13
If your budget can afford them there's nothing I've encountered that's more comfortable than the Sensaphonics Soft 2-x. The flexible silicon is supremely comfortable.

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

------------------------------^----------------------
---------------------------*******-----------------------------------

Regarding "earbugs":

I hear earwigs are quite comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back