What are the most comfortable (for sleeping :o) wireless IEMs and wireless earpods? All price ranges.
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

algloom

New Head-Fier
My phones jack broke so I can't use wired earphones. I am looking to buy a bluetooth or wireless IEM or earpods that are comfortable enough for sleeping. I've also never had those, so would be nice to try out something that is different.

The main category would be comfort when it comes to sleeping with said IEM or earpod.

I live in a very noisy part of the city - white noise machine doesn't work as well as earplugs or IEMs for me when it comes to playing some soothing sounds and blocking traffic noise from the outside. Also tried earplugs to just block the noise but then I couldn't hear the alarm and couldn't feel the vibration too well.

Hence... my only option. Wireless/bluetooth earpods or IEMs.

Friends, please. Share your wisdom :)
Looking for wireless IEMs & earpuds that are comfortable to sleep in. The cheap, the expensive. I'm interested in everything.

Thank you in advance for your kind help!

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi,
I'm looking for the same thing!
Wireless earphones that...
  • Don't stick out the ear, so you can sleep on your side.
  • Preferable noise cancelling to block traffic/snoring.
  • IEMs so you don't keep your partner awake with your music.
  • Can actually play music and audiobooks - not just sleep sounds.
I'm having trouble finding any info on the actual dimensions of IEMs and how far they stick out the ear.

Here's what I've found.
There are the obvious 'sleep' IEMs like the Bose Sleepbuds 2, QuietOn earbuds, or the headband ones (hot at night?) but they are either only for sleep noises or low-quality audio (the ones I've seen anyway).

Won't be much good for you @algloom , but if anyone else is reading, I've just discovered these wired ones which are advertised for use sleeping on your side: Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd. They look low profile. £60 at the moment.
(Beyer did have a wireless version (BlueBird) but I think they have discontinued it).

Today I also found these: Earin A-3. They've just come out and meant to be one of the smallest wireless IEMs on the market (if you believe their press release). £180.
Dimensions apparently are 20x17x15.8 mm. They are not noise cancelling though, in fact they are an "open design does means that there’s no seal for active noise cancellation" This might make them uncomfortable as they don't have a silicone/foam seal and bleed.
I might get these if I can't find anything else - I'll report back if I do.

If anyone else comes across any, please let us know. There must be loads of people who fall asleep on their side listening to music or audiobooks, but don't want to wear one of those hot headbands!

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 11
You might also consider TWS Bluetooth adapters for regular IEMs? I know FiiO makes (or made?) one, and I think there are a few others, though I have no idea about the quality. Battery life might be a consideration, too.
If cables aren't a concern, you could also use a regular Bluetooth DAC/adapter. I wouldn't recommend the BTR5, though, as I don't think it would last through the night.

My Westones block a lot of noise, are very comfortable (with the right tips), and sit flush with the outside of the ear. They might be a little expensive for sleep duty, but maybe something like the Shure SE215 would work.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 11
After trying out a couple of TWS, I found AirPods Pro is the most comfortable one EXCEPT for the low battery alert that wakes me up at 4 am...
Also, TRN VX with BT adapter (TRN BT20Pro) works fine too, at least for the sleep induction part.
The tricky part is that most of TWS (The wireless earphones) are living within the battery life of a couple of hours (1.5hr -6hr), so by the way you need to wake up with the alarm, most likely the battery is dead.
Hope some genius would come up with a smart sleep monitor function on TWS, and let it sleep while you fall asleep, and wakes you up with alarm.

BTR5 lasts around 6-8 hours depending on the "high" / "Low" output mode, it surely is a game-changer for wireless audio, sounding awesome, not too expensive, and has decent digital filters that you can play with.

For my case, I'm using a smartwatch with vibration as a supplemental alarm for the mornings that I'm wearing a pair of dead AirPods pro.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for responding guys.
You've made me rethink and I might upgrade my whole IEM situation. I love the idea of the BTR5. I was only going TWS because the Samsung S21 doesn't have a jack.

Maybe it's time to splash out on some decent IEMs into a BTR5. Then I also have option to run it on an OTR cable to the Samsung S21 and subscribe to Tidal for hi res streaming.

Would that work?
Tidal > Samsung S21 (either Bluetooth or OTR cable) > BTR5 > £300 IEMs (balanced?)

Then I just need someone to give £3.3k to get some Odins!

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 11
I've noticed lypertek Tevi (a highly regarded wireless IEM) actually has a single battery life with 10 hours, and it looks fairly small (par with airpods pro), you may consider it.

Leave alone battery life of 10 hours, Tevi is already a one of go-to wireless IEM.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for responding guys.
You've made me rethink and I might upgrade my whole IEM situation. I love the idea of the BTR5. I was only going TWS because the Samsung S21 doesn't have a jack.

Maybe it's time to splash out on some decent IEMs into a BTR5. Then I also have option to run it on an OTR cable to the Samsung S21 and subscribe to Tidal for hi res streaming.

Would that work?
Tidal > Samsung S21 (either Bluetooth or OTR cable) > BTR5 > £300 IEMs (balanced?)

Then I just need someone to give £3.3k to get some Odins!
For £300IEM, I bet no big objections to recommending Blessing 2 Dusk (or original depends on your taste).
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...lessing2-dusk-1dd-4ba-in-ear-monitor-earphone

It's the go-to under $500 USD.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 11
Beats Flex
Bose sleepbuds (you can only listen to their prebuilt sounds)
Bose sleepbuds 2 (you can only listen to their prebuilt sounds)
Galaxy Buds+ (I got these, they aren't the best but the price was nice, they got a nice long battery and it is possible to sleep in these. Just know that for some people they are uncomfortable. I have two soft pillows. I'm upgrading the stock tips with some memoryfoam tips from aliexpress. There are also fancy branded memoryfoam tips but those cost 10x more).

Skullcandy Ink'd
QCY T1
Sony WF-1000XM3
Airpod pro
Fiio BTR1 või 3 (this is a BT receiver, it allows you to use wired headphones in bed, while transmitting data via bluetooth from your device).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back