What are the components of a sound system?
Oct 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

danielghofrani

100+ Head-Fier
I am a beginner and I dont really know much about DACs, preams, headphone amps, sources, and all of that jazz
I am very confused and I would highly appreciate it if you could give me beginner instructions on what these things are and what they do.

by the way I am not recording anything I just want to hear good quality music.
I used to think that I should connect my headphones to the headphone mini jack. but there is apparently a lot to it.

there are so many differnet connections than the mini jack.
what is Coaxial S\PDIF?
XLR on DAC? for output? really? I thought XLR is for high end microphones.
I know USB is a connection but I did not know it is used in audio gear.
what is the difference between a preamp and a headphone amp?

please explain to me how these things work because I am perplexed.
Thanks a lot in advance

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Coaxial / S\PDIF ,are digital outputs coaxial is normal cable, S\PDIF  is optical , both transfer digital data in 0's and 1's
XLR  is a balanced analog output, normally for high-end mics/speakers or PA systems
Usb in audio gear, normally just carries the sound in digital data from a pc etc, to a digital to analog converter of some sort.
A preamp  is a low gain or no gain amp, to volume control/eq, to it you connect a proper amp or active speakers,
A Headphone amp's job is to add gain to a weak source to be able to propley drive the headphones to decent volume, most colour the sound in different ways.

What device do you want to hear good quality music from a portable player, a pc , a pair of speakers???? , then you can be advised of what equipment you might need.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 9
sorry where is your primer!?
thanks
I just want to know how these things generally work. for example to get a better sound from mylaptop, what gadgets should I connect in the way of the headphone jack and the headphones?
thanks

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 9
Link is in the signature
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Funny, I did study software engineering in Toronto and dated a girl that was studying software engineering in Waterloo, best program in the country I hear.  It's almost the weekend, get down to that dive bar Phil's, it's AWESOME!  Stripper poles on the dance floor and super cheap booze!

Quote:
wow that was exactly what I was looking for. thanks
by the way I study computer engineering I really find this stuff interesting
oh your from Toronto?! nice
I go to university of Waterloo

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Funny, I did study software engineering in Toronto and dated a girl that was studying software engineering in Waterloo, best program in the country I hear.  It's almost the weekend, get down to that dive bar Phil's, it's AWESOME!  Stripper poles on the dance floor and super cheap booze!

hehe ;P thanks for the recommendation
Waterloo is pretty good with engineering and computer science in general no lie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back