What are the BEST 'phones for soundstage?
Apr 24, 2002 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Soundstage to me is a somewhat mythical beast... the HD580s underperform in that department in my opinion, with the V6 / JMT combo sounding much better to my ears...

Being paid on Friday gives me up to $500 to fulfill the quest of enlightenment, so - I'd like your opinions on good 'phones that have a rich sound (ideally with V6 quality bass)... are easily driven, and have a wonderous soundstage...

CD3Ks are out of the question because they're not sold in the UK but i'm open to other suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 43
Soundstage headphones? I don't think those two words go together. Maybe headstage. :p In that case, HD600 has nice "sound field". Why not spend that money on a dedicated source? IMO, you're seriously doing the HD580 injustice by using a portable.

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Soundstage headphones? I don't think those two words go together. Maybe headstage. :p In that case, HD600 has nice "sound field". Why not spend that money on a dedicated source? IMO, you're seriously doing the HD580 injustice by using a portable.

I use them with my Marantz CDP... and it sounds to me as if the sound is too 'polluted', I like the clinical nature of the V6, so maybe i'm after a 'bright' performer... who knows?

RickG... the 501s... as long as they have a bass I can hear (unlike the subwoofer requiring K1000s) I wouldn't be TOO disappointed I guess... as long as my JMT could power them (or... at worst, my XCan V2)

Thanks for the speedy replies
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 43
Duncan
There is only ovious choice. And nothing else even comes close. Now I know you said that you have some money to spend but that means nothing. A great sound stage is just that and has nothing to do with a lot of money. I have never heard anything bigger in sound stage than the philips 890s and people may cut then short because they dont realize that the 890s need a lot of power to be at their full potential. With good power the 890s sound BIG SOUND STAGE AND SOUND VERY GOOD TO. Now I prefer the 580s over the 890s but the 890s have a bigger sound stage than the 580s. So if you want a big sound stage and good sounding cans look no further. The 890s are not the best cans but I think that they are the best sound stage.

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 43
Thanks for that Lou, I think Richer Sounds in the UK stocks Philips 'phones so I'll check them out
smily_headphones1.gif

Current Standings:

'Phones

AKG 501
Philips 890

Amp

Corda HA-1

Anymore for anymore? then we can have a shootout to an ultimate upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 43
Duncan,
AkG does not require require a sub, in my opinion.
And I'm at a lost for words when you say that the V6 has a better soundstage then the 580.
I had the V6 and JMT combo, couldn't stand the V6. I gave to my little bro and he loves them, albeit he listens primarily to rap and hip hop. I think all he wanted was head shaking bass and a deafening treble.

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 43
People have commented that the HP890 has a wider but faker soundstage... Why would you want to downgrade from the HD580? Unless you don't like their "signature" sound.
frown.gif
???

Have you tried the Etys?

7506 sounded anemic to me, absolutely NO soundstage. If bass is what you want, the HD580 has it, very deep at that. It's even overpowhelming at times.

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan:

RickG... the 501s... as long as they have a bass I can hear (unlike the subwoofer requiring K1000s) I wouldn't be TOO
disappointed I guess... as long as my JMT could power them

Duncan, it's doubtful that +/-4.5v will be anywhere near sufficient to power the 501s. Your X-CansV2 would be a better match, however I found that the MOH sounded much better with them than the MG HeadDT.

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 43
Duncan
Psssssss MR: DUCAN. Shhhh dont tell nobody. If you want great sound and detail and accuratcey and performance use your 580s. But if all you want is large sound stage and its for real sound stage blow your mind all around you sound stage. Dont think this is a downgrade its just what you asked for its just different. Example. I use my 580s 90 per cent of the time. But I have some music that is new age ambent sound so off come the 580s and on go the 890s and man bounce all around my head and give me a different type of experence that only a large sound stage could do. Now if you are a poor man I understand the point of being carfull about your money but come on man . They only cost me 105.00 and over there might get them for 29.00 or 50.00 bucks. Now be brave and try them and if you dont like them give them to someone. I am not disagreeing with any other member on this for I think that what every one said is right. This is just between you and me so please dont tell nobody so I dont get into any trouble. Shhhhhhh.

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 43
what? hd580s have a worse soundstage than the v6s? I respectfully have to disagree. Maybe its your recordings, but the 580s stage is so large, is scary sometimes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean, the v6s don't give you that oh crap, is that something behind me feeling.
evil_smiley.gif
I've listened to the v6s. No contest.

Maybe its your recordings?

Apr 24, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 43
The K1000 meets two of your three criteria. It is not easy to drive, but is otherwise the King of Soundstage. It's a seriously badass headphone.

Rick G sez:
Quote:

IMO, the "wonderous soundstage" belongs to the K501's.

(K501? Bleh. I'm waiting to hear his opinion when his K1000 arrives...)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Duncan sez:
Quote:

unlike the subwoofer requiring K1000s

The K1000 does not require a subwoofer!!! Even with inexpensive solid state amps, it has bass that will roast your face.

Apr 24, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Rick G sez:
IMO, the "wonderous soundstage" belongs to the K501's.

(K501? Bleh. I'm waiting to hear his opinion when his K1000 arrives...)
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL, Nick....they're at the post office, I just haven't had a chance to pick them up today...****excitement builds**** however, I know the 501 has a great soundstage and also falls within his budget.
biggrin.gif

edit: Nevermind...I see his budget is $500.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
People have commented that the HP890 has a wider but faker soundstage...

I believe it is only one person that has made that particular comment...

Fake soundstage... what next?

"Prickly" velvet earmuffs.... no thats been done.

Honestly the claims some people make denegrating the 890s are quite hilarious.

Close your eyes and your three rows back from a slightly elevated stage in a small concert hall... now thats soundstage.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back