What are the best IEM's under 1000$?
Dec 9, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 33
  I plan on getting a getting DAP to run them from when I am on the go.  As for now I have a sony UDA-1 but will be getting the schiit modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber.  Can such IEM's be driven from a smartphone fairly well or will it require getting a DAP?

Personally I would buy a DAP. Smartphones can have a higher output impedance that doesn't work optimal with IEMs and also DAC chips of lesser quality since music listening isn't the primary use on a smartphone.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 33
Substract 300$ from the 1k and get an iem specific amp like the Alo Rx.
Match it with something good and you'll have a wide soundstage for months.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 33
Might as well keep the UDA-1. The Magni and Modi Uber don't sound as good as the UDA-1. 

My particular unit has this background hissing that is driving me crazy.  That's the main reason why I want to sell it.  There are some music where I won't notice it, but there are other songs where it drives me crazy. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 33
Substract 300$ from the 1k and get an iem specific amp like the Alo Rx.
Match it with something good and you'll have a wide soundstage for months. ​

So a full size headphone amp will not work with IEM's.  Can these IEM's sound good on the go or is that just not the case.  I want something more portable but to still have some epic sound quality. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 33
  I'm not sure what the differences are between sound quality between uni fit vs custom fit IEM's.  If it add's like 100-200$ than I wouldn't really mind paying more if it makes the difference.  I already have a mini collection of over ear headphones so I'm in no rush.  Just I want to get a pair of proper IEM's now. 

Custom fit are just as they sound.  They are customized to your ear.  Essentially, you go to an audiologist and they create a mold of your ear.  This mold is then used to create your IEM.  The cost of getting the mold is not included with the cost of the IEM (so keep this in mind).  The cost of getting a mold will vary from doctor to doctor, I got mine for about 50 bucks, they'll range from 50-150.  However, there are times when a manufacturer is at a show and has an audiologist on hand to give free molds :wink:  

So from my experience with audio, I tend to like a "darker" sound and I really appreciate a large soundstage.  I'm not too sure if there are IEM's that have large soundstages comparable to open back headphones.  I'm just not sure how expensive to go to get truly stellar sound quality for IEM's. 

4.Ai is a dark sound for sure, it has a decent sound stage (layering).  Though I prefer the W4 over the 4.Ai, both are considered darker (though the W4 does have a little more treble presence).  However, these are really only in the 400 dollar price range.

So a full size headphone amp will not work with IEM's.  Can these IEM's sound good on the go or is that just not the case.  I want something more portable but to still have some epic sound quality. 

I would avoid a full-sized amp, though one do have gain switches that can lower gain for IEMs specifically.  You can get a portable DAC/amp, but do know that it will cause a bigger thing to carry (that can be a hassle depending on the person).  Personally, I do prefer to drive my IEMs out of my iPhone (most have been known to have decently low output impedance so they don't really interfere too much with an IEM's sound).  

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 33
  I'm not sure what the differences are between sound quality between uni fit vs custom fit IEM's.  If it add's like 100-200$ than I wouldn't really mind paying more if it makes the difference.  I already have a mini collection of over ear headphones so I'm in no rush.  Just I want to get a pair of proper IEM's now. 

Out of all the over ear headphones you have right now, which one do you like the best? And how would you want your IEM to sound like relative to that? Once this is answered it should go a long way in determining exactly what kind of IEM you are looking for.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 33
How about a Westone W10 and an $850 cable?
basshead.gif

Seriously, you couldn't go wrong with an Angie - sure it is $99 over the $1K figure, but you got to live a little. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #23 of 33

1st - this is portable.
2nd - if you're willing to spill 1k, then you might as well make the 300$ count. You'll hear of so many reviews that go endlessly about frequency responses but never enough on timbre, music dynamics, and overall experience.
I vouch on this little buddy to add to the experience. I think Alo is dealing a great complete package on the Rx +Dap + iems right now so you might look into that deal.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #24 of 33
My particular unit has this background hissing that is driving me crazy.  That's the main reason why I want to sell it.  There are some music where I won't notice it, but there are other songs where it drives me crazy. 

Are you using USB connection? It seems that you may have a bad ground loop going on. Try optical as that will bypass your computer's ground.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #25 of 33
  Out of all the over ear headphones you have right now, which one do you like the best? And how would you want your IEM to sound like relative to that? Once this is answered it should go a long way in determining exactly what kind of IEM you are looking for.

My experience of over ear headphone listening experience ranges from, Audeze LCD-3, Audiotechnica m50, Beyerdynamic Custom One pro and DT990, and the my v-moda m100's.  M50's lacked soundstage with me, decent detail in sound not the greatest and didn't have much distinct characteristics.  V-moda m100 I do like just I wish there more detail in the sound, bigger soundstage and a tad bit less bass emphasis.  Then the COP which I did not like very much as they didn't really excel in anything from my experience.  There the DT-990 which has a pretty large soundstage, good detail in the sound but they are bit bright for me.  I do like everything else about them.  Then finally the LCD-3 which was the best audio experience I have ever had.  The dynamics, the bass response was phenomenal and they were being driven out of a pono player when I heard them. 

So I appreciate detail, soundstage and well extending bass.  Ideally something similar to the LCD-3.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 33
Are you using USB connection? It seems that you may have a bad ground loop going on. Try optical as that will bypass your computer's ground.

I did switch to optical, and it did help but I still do hear it.  I have tested this hissing without any cable plugged into the unit and it is still present. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #27 of 33
 I did switch to optical, and it did help but I still do hear it.  I have tested this hissing without any cable plugged into the unit and it is still present. 

It seems to me you may have a faulty unit if the hissing is extremely bad. Again, it all depends on the earphone or headphone you are matching it with since the pairings may not always be perfect.

Then again, if the hiss is extremely loud then it's your unit.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #28 of 33
So from my experience with audio, I tend to like a "darker" sound and I really appreciate a large soundstage.  I'm not too sure if there are IEM's that have large soundstages comparable to open back headphones.  I'm just not sure how expensive to go to get truly stellar sound quality for IEM's. 

You sound like a good candidate for the Flare Audio R2 Pros. Laid back treble with beautiful mids and great Bass response. They also have a massive soundstage and are very clear. You can get them pretty cheap second hand too. Should leave you with more than enough cash for a good portable amp.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #29 of 33
Now I'm considering of getting the shure's se846, westone W60 or possibly a UE product.  Can anyone tell me the difference between the westone W60 and shure se846?  I have just been unable to find any bad reviews of the shure's and from what I read they have a similar sound to the Audeze LCD-2 and I have listened to those headphones and liked them very much.  

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #30 of 33
From personal use of both earphones. I feel the W60s are more the all rounder type earphone which has the more laid back and smooth signature while the SE846 has a very strong presence with its sound attacking punchy bass with forward mids. From what other people have been saying though, the SE846 seems to be the 'safer' buy as W60s seems to have a 'they grow on you' over time kind of signature and requires some getting used to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back