What are the best high end closed backs? (elegia aeon ether z1r lcd 2c lcd xc cascade th900mk2 hd820
Nov 19, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm also looking for closed backs and after doing some listening and research I have come to the conclusion that at this price point one headphone isn't necessarily better than the other since they are all pretty great headphones. Some will do certain things better than others and vice versa.It really depends on your own preferences, what music you listen to, how much isolation you need and how you're going to use and drive (dac/amp/dap etc) them.

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 12
It's easier to tell you which ones to avoid.
You can scratch LCD-XC off the list. It's just not a very good headphone, at any price point.

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 12
I've been asking myself the same questions some time ago and after lots of buying and testing (and some reading as well :) ) came to the following conclusions:

- It once again proved that there is no "best" headphone. Each has it's strong and weak points, some more of one than others ...

- Closed headphones are generally still a lot behind their open counterparts and pretty much all leave a lot to be desired.

- Price/performance ratio of TOTL closed headphones are even far worse than TOTL open headphones, actually pretty ridiculous what TOTL closed cans cost considering the sound quality they deliver (at least in my opinion). All those 2000$+ closed TOTL phones not even sound as good as a decent 400$ open headphone.

- Basically the only reason to go closed is because of the need for isolation / limitation of sound leaking. However over ear closed cans all isolate really bad compared to iems, which kind of proves them obsolete.

- Of all the closed headphones I've heard the HD820 is probably the one with the least flaws - that is if you are willing to pay 2400$ for a headphone that sounds worse than the HD800, which can be had for about 1k$.

-> All in all I came to the conclusion, that closed over ear headphones like the ones you mentioned basically hardly have have a "raison d'être" - because if you don't need isolation open headphones are much better - and if you need isolation, IEM's are isolating much better and therefore are preferable in all noisy environments.
There is really no point in having better sound quality if the noise around you overlaps it all.

The only place I could see closed over ear headphones to be of much use are basically in a studio or if you're fine to have an expensive and worse headphone "just to disturb your spouse/flatmate/... a little less while sitting on the sofa together."

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 12
I try not to compare closed backs to open headphones since they are so different. I listened to the Ether Flow C and I don;t believe they are necessarily worse at everything as anything you can get for $400. They are very good headphones which do comprise on certain aspects because they are closed.

But anyway I live in the middle of the city centre and with my hd600's I have to put up with sound coming up from the streets.It isn't is as bad as when you're actually down walking the streets or on public transport but it is still noticeable. Since iems aren't as comfortable to me
as headphones a closed back is a nice solution. I agree that for a truly portable solution when you need better isolation an iem is the way to go.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 12
I loved my th900s for a long time, but they really need to help of tubes to bring out the mid range and to tame their peaky nature. The woo audio wa7 is a match made in heaven. I have not heard the upgraded version with new dac or with external power supply, but with the original I preferred using the wa7 as an amp only.

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Im selling a new Campfire Cascade, in box. 575 usd shipped.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 12
My plan was to buy it for on the go cause I was traveling pretty far but things changed and now my work is 12 mins away. So Im just going to use my th900 at home. The fit of the Cascade is comfy, good isolation, foldable. Vocals are clear, treble is detailed but not too sharp. You can tube the treble. Bass is really strong, tight. I would suggest a good neautral dac to get the best out of the Cascade. Sound stage is wide and deep.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 12
My plan was to buy it for on the go cause I was traveling pretty far but things changed and now my work is 12 mins away. So Im just going to use my th900 at home. The fit of the Cascade is comfy, good isolation, foldable. Vocals are clear, treble is detailed but not too sharp. You can tube the treble. Bass is really strong, tight. I would suggest a good neautral dac to get the best out of the Cascade. Sound stage is wide and deep.
Hmm. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back