What are the best headphones for under £300?
Nov 24, 2016 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Atticustas

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for over-ear headphones that have high quality balanced sound and are also portable. I have the B&H H6 (gen 1) headphones but although they are wonderfully detailed with incredible soundstage I find them just a little lacking in warmth. I recently tried out the Sennheiser Momentums and liked them a lot but found them a little bass heavy. The warmth of the Momentums is what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something in between the H6 and the Momentums in terms of sound balance. They also need to be relatively easy to drive, relatively portable and closed backed. A nice design would also be good but not a priority. I didn't buy the H6s for the design.

Here's some examples of the kind of music I listen to as well if that helps

Led Zeppelin
David Bowie
Radiohead
Joni Michael
Wilco
Muse
Simon and Garfunkel
Pink Floyd
Washed Out
Tame Impala
System of A Down
Marilyn Manson
R.E.M

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 8
For warmth you want 598's. If they have to be closed, the 598cs might be a possibility, though I haven't heard them yet. Maybe the 569's might be worth looking into as well. Lastly, a pricier option like the Beyer 770's or Oppo PM-3's might be ideal. (I don't know what the PM-3s run outside the states). If they don't have to be portable or closed, get some 600's or 650's.

Any of the above will easily outperform the H6's and Momentums.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Meze 99 Classics.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 8
I think you would be quite pleased with the Shure SRH1540 if you could stretch your budget just a small amount. They are easy to drive and closed. The sound is pleasantly warm and fun, almost like a ribbon microphone with nice bass and highs as well. A very good all-arounder. The pads are insanely comfortable.

I share many of your musical tastes, and I think these headphones would be very good for you.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 8
  I think you would be quite pleased with the Shure SRH1540 if you could stretch your budget just a small amount. They are easy to drive and closed. The sound is pleasantly warm and fun, almost like a ribbon microphone with nice bass and highs as well. A very good all-arounder. The pads are insanely comfortable.

I share many of your musical tastes, and I think these headphones would be very good for you.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm adding them to my list of options which is growing rather large haha. I am willing to strech my budget a bit but I'm wary of getting pushed further and further up in price. I would probably pay for the Shures if the sound is worth it. Choosing expensive headphones is a tricky business. 

Here's my options so far

B&O H6 second gen
Bowers and Wilkins P7
Oppo PM3
Sennheiser Momentum
Soundmagic HP150
Denon AH-MM400
Meze 99 Classics
Audeze SIne
Shure SRH1540
Some kind of Beyerdynamic

Users who are viewing this thread