What are the best headphones for mixing Electronic Music?
Jul 7, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By "drummer-oriented", does that mean that the drummer has to be asian to use these headphones?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, it was a pun that I couldn't resist.

Thanks for helping me straighten this out.

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #47 of 67
Wow! This thread has taken a lot of life. Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 headphones. Everyone seems to like either one of these one way or another.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 and the Ultrasone PRO-750.

I think I am leaning more towards the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 because of the price. I can get the DT770 for $150 and the Ultrasone 750 for $300.

Is this the right Beyer model everyone is talking about being the best one? The Pro-80?

Also what is this crossfeed everyone is talking about and what do I need for it?

Does everyone agree that these 2 headphones are the top 2 in the running or should I bring another one in the mix.

I am also getting a amp so it won't matter if it needs that because it will be taken care of.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It has helped a lot. I think I am almost there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by death69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! This thread has taken a lot of life. Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 headphones. Everyone seems to like either one of these one way or another.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 and the Ultrasone PRO-750.

I think I am leaning more towards the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 because of the price. I can get the DT770 for $150 and the Ultrasone 750 for $300.

Is this the right Beyer model everyone is talking about being the best one? The Pro-80?

Also what is this crossfeed everyone is talking about and what do I need for it?

Does everyone agree that these 2 headphones are the top 2 in the running or should I bring another one in the mix.

I am also getting a amp so it won't matter if it needs that because it will be taken care of.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It has helped a lot. I think I am almost there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I found out recently that there is more than one model of the DT 770. I found out last night that the one and only model of the DT 770 which I heard is one that is made for drummers and, according to what I was told, generally thought of as not being as good, fidelity wise, as the rest of the DT 770 models. Consequently, I can't give you any feedback regarding the DT 770 because apparently, I have not heard the right one(s).
What I would strongly suggest you do is find a place that demos these headphones. I don't know where you live but if you are in the United States, one place that demos headphones is Guitar Center which has stores all across the United States. You might try looking for one in your area and see if they have a demo station.
I am planning to do the same in an attempt to hear more models of the DT 770. And, more or less, I have the same question you had, which model of the DT770 would be the best one to hear?

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wish i got the joke...

"drummer-oriented" = a drummer from the orient.
Asians are from the "orient" so,
"An Asian drummer" = a drummer from the orient or,
a "drummer-oriented".

As I said, it's a bad pun but I couldn't resist the temptation to share it with everyone.

biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #50 of 67
AKG 240 sextett MP.

I find them enjoyable for listening and at the same time they can be great for mixing. The 240M can be a tad sterile sometimes...that is why I still hang on to my sextett.

BTW...if you said that your 240s you had sounded too quiet you probably were not amping them properly...though that sounds rather stange, most mixers (analog hardware) I have ever used 240's with are more than adequate. Software mixing is something else entirely.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #51 of 67
HD-25s, I can't recommend 'em enough as DJ cans.

edit -Unless you mean mixing as in mixdown as in production, in which case I'm of the opinion that no headphones can compare to a set of half-decent active monitors for doing electronic production.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #53 of 67
Also OP just to clarify, I do a fair bit of late night production using my HD-25s and its great for laying down ideas but whenever I listen to it back on my monitors the levels are always whack. Its very hard for me to get a sense of track balance and stereo imaging without giving my stuff a good flogging on the monitors afterwards.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #54 of 67
I'm embarrassed to write this but it seems as though my memory has been playing tricks on me.
For some time now, I've been searching for the notes I took when I was testing headphones about 6 months ago. Earlier today, my assistant handed me a pad of paper and asked me if I wanted to keep it? That pad of paper included my headphone notes. I had no idea she had it.
A conversation ensued because on the first page I wrote about my assessment of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. Because of that conversation, I was reminded of something that, somehow, I managed to forget: I heard the DT 770 on two separate occasions. The first time, I heard the DT 770 Pro and the second time, I heard the the DT 770 model that was made for drummers. Somehow, my memory had placed these two separate events together into one event where I remembered only hearing the DT 770 model with the volume control slider on the cable (which, I have found out recently from someone here on Head-Fi is the model made for drummers) and confused that model with the first one I heard which was the DT 770 Pro, according to my notes.
A few days ago, when one of the other Head-Fi members told me that the DT 770 with the volume control on the cable was considered to NOT have a good sound, I was kind of confused about that because I had remembered it as having a good sound but kind of muffled and bassy. Once again, my memory was playing tricks on me because I was, apparently, confusing the sound of the two models or somehow combining them into the memory of the sound of only one headphone.
So, to set everything straight, according to my notes, the first DT 770 I heard was the DT 770 Pro. In my notes, I wrote that I thought it had an excellent sound but that it seemed slightly exaggerated in the bass. I picked it as the second choice to the Ultrasone Proline 750 in the "closed" headphone category. It was a couple of weeks later, apparently, that I heard the model of the DT 770 that is made for drummers (at that time I did not know it was made for drummers) but I do remember there being a volume control on the cable. Jump ahead approximately 6 months and my memory of the situation (until I read my notes and talked with my assistant earlier) was that I had heard only one model of the DT 770 and that was the one with the volume control slider on the cable. And, that was, according to my memory, the one that I placed as second position after the Proline 750.
In actuality, that model was the DT 770 Pro (without a volume control on the cable) that I initially placed in second place in the closed headphone category.
I hope that all made sense.
Having told you all that, I am now planning to go back and re-do the comparison. The reason is because, I made no notes pertaining to whether or not the DT 770 Pro had been "burned-in". I am assuming it had been because I wrote in my notes about liking the sound. However, at some point I will do this again with the knowledge of "burn-in" time as part of the equation.
Sorry for the confusion. I've been very busy over the past few months and it was only right before joining Head-Fit that I had some opportunities to settle and try to remember all this.

Edit: I accidentally placed this post in the Ultrasone thread somehow by mistake first before posting it here where I meant it to be. I'm all thumbs tonight.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #55 of 67
You can like your Ultrasone all you want dude!
You're taking this way too seriously...
I won't be switching to Ultrasone anytime soon, if anything, I'll buy a Beyer DT990 or DT880 to improve upon the DT770.

Enjoy your S-LOGIC thing.

Quote:

I'm embarrassed to write this but it seems as though my memory has been playing tricks on me.
For some time now, I've been searching for the notes I took when I was testing headphones about 6 months ago. Earlier today, my assistant handed me a pad of paper and asked me if I wanted to keep it? That pad of paper included my headphone notes. I had no idea she had it.
A conversation ensued because on the first page I wrote about my assessment of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. Because of that conversation, I was reminded of something that, somehow, I managed to forget: I heard the DT 770 on two separate occasions. The first time, I heard the DT 770 Pro and the second time, I heard the the DT 770 model that was made for drummers. Somehow, my memory had placed these two separate events together into one event where I remembered only hearing the DT 770 model with the volume control slider on the cable (which, I have found out recently from someone here on Head-Fi is the model made for drummers) and confused that model with the first one I heard which was the DT 770 Pro, according to my notes.
A few days ago, when one of the other Head-Fi members told me that the DT 770 with the volume control on the cable was considered to NOT have a good sound, I was kind of confused about that because I had remembered it as having a good sound but kind of muffled and bassy. Once again, my memory was playing tricks on me because I was, apparently, confusing the sound of the two models or somehow combining them into the memory of the sound of only one headphone.
So, to set everything straight, according to my notes, the first DT 770 I heard was the DT 770 Pro. In my notes, I wrote that I thought it had an excellent sound but that it seemed slightly exaggerated in the bass. I picked it as the second choice to the Ultrasone Proline 750 in the "closed" headphone category. It was a couple of weeks later, apparently, that I heard the model of the DT 770 that is made for drummers (at that time I did not know it was made for drummers) but I do remember there being a volume control on the cable. Jump ahead approximately 6 months and my memory of the situation (until I read my notes and talked with my assistant earlier) was that I had heard only one model of the DT 770 and that was the one with the volume control slider on the cable. And, that was, according to my memory, the one that I placed as second position after the Proline 750.
In actuality, that model was the DT 770 Pro (without a volume control on the cable) that I initially placed in second place in the closed headphone category.
I hope that all made sense.
Having told you all that, I am now planning to go back and re-do the comparison. The reason is because, I made no notes pertaining to whether or not the DT 770 Pro had been "burned-in". I am assuming it had been because I wrote in my notes about liking the sound. However, at some point I will do this again with the knowledge of "burn-in" time as part of the equation.
Sorry for the confusion. I've been very busy over the past few months and it was only right before joining Head-Fit that I had some opportunities to settle and try to remember all this.

Edit: I accidentally placed this post in the Ultrasone thread somehow by mistake first before posting it here where I meant it to be. I'm all thumbs tonight.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can like your Ultrasone all you want dude!
You're taking this way too seriously...
I won't be switching to Ultrasone anytime soon, if anything, I'll buy a Beyer DT990 or DT880 to improve upon the DT770.

Enjoy your S-LOGIC thing.

No, I'm not taking it too seriously, nor was I trying to convert anyone to Ultrasone. I was merely trying to share my experience and set everything straight. For the most part, I compared closed headphones to closed headphones. But, I found that I liked the sound of the DT 990's (open) better than the DT 770's (closed). However, I found I preferred the sound of the Proline 750's (closed) better than the Proline 2500's (open). I found that somewhat interesting.
Philco, I was reading some posts about the theory of "balanced" headphones. In that thread you seemed to argue against the validity of the idea of "balanced" headphones. ( I am using this only as a point of reference and not to start a communication with you about "balanced" headphones. ) In one of your posts, instead of only "discussing" the issue and presenting your argument, your words indicated that you seemed to be very frustrated. It seemed like you took the argument way too seriously, as if it might be really bothering you. I will offer you the same implied suggestion that you offered to me at the beginning of this post: Try not to take opinions and ideas with which you disagree, presented in these threads too seriously. It is as if we are in a conversation and based on our experiences, beliefs and other physical and environmental factors, we (the members of this forum) will sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. As in life, unless it's a matter of life and death, I simply "let it go" and agree to disagree. You indicated in the previously mentioned post that you were thinking about taking a break from Head-Fi. I sincerely hope that you don't because, although it seems we disagree about the "S-Logic thing", I consider the information you've given me to be valuable and I consider you to be a valuable (in the sense of your informativeness) member of Head-Fi.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #57 of 67
I think you didn't understand what I was trying to tell you. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

What I was trying to say is that I don't think you really have to compare Ultrasone to Beyer (or any other headphone) with such a great passion. It's not like it's a competition between headphones and I agree to disagree, as I said, I'm fine with my Beyers and I don't want to try the Ultrasone. It's just that you always seem to imply your Ultrasone are WAY better than anything else out there (i.e. "the others were second place to my Ultrasone Proline 750") and this attitude is what I question.

In my mind, there is no doubt that a DT990-2005 will TROUNCE my DT770 and that's why I'm looking to upgrate. I never felt like I held up the DT770 as the best headphone in the world, but for presenting me the audio as it is, I think they are much better than other cans and they do it for me.

About the fact that your want to compare the models and inform the community, what you could do, maybe, is try all models, take some notes and then write a good detailed review of your findings in a new thread. When writing this review, try to be objective. You sound a lot like you are partial to Ultrasone to me. It's like "yeah I love Ultrasone so I'm going to push them all the way in my review" but I don't think the world is as black and white as that.

Also, what I said in the other thread concerns that particular thread and not this one. I'm not angry in any other way except some technical aspects of audio that many don't seem to grasp.

Quote:

No, I'm not taking it too seriously, nor was I trying to convert anyone to Ultrasone. I was merely trying to share my experience and set everything straight. For the most part, I compared closed headphones to closed headphones. But, I found that I liked the sound of the DT 990's (open) better than the DT 770's (closed). However, I found I preferred the sound of the Proline 750's (closed) better than the Proline 2500's (open). I found that somewhat interesting.
Philco, I was reading some posts about the theory of "balanced" headphones. In that thread you seemed to argue against the validity of the idea of "balanced" headphones. ( I am using this only as a point of reference and not to start a communication with you about "balanced" headphones. ) In one of your posts, instead of only "discussing" the issue and presenting your argument, your words indicated that you seemed to be very frustrated. It seemed like you took the argument way too seriously, as if it might be really bothering you. I will offer you the same implied suggestion that you offered to me at the beginning of this post: Try not to take opinions and ideas with which you disagree, presented in these threads too seriously. It is as if we are in a conversation and based on our experiences, beliefs and other physical and environmental factors, we (the members of this forum) will sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. As in life, unless it's a matter of life and death, I simply "let it go" and agree to disagree. You indicated in the previously mentioned post that you were thinking about taking a break from Head-Fi. I sincerely hope that you don't because, although it seems we disagree about the "S-Logic thing", I consider the information you've given me to be valuable and I consider you to be a valuable (in the sense of your informativeness) member of Head-Fi.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #58 of 67
QUOTE=Philco;4462215]I think you didn't understand what I was trying to tell you. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

What I was trying to say is that I don't think you really have to compare Ultrasone to Beyer (or any other headphone) with such a great passion. It's not like it's a competition between headphones and I agree to disagree, as I said, I'm fine with my Beyers and I don't want to try the Ultrasone. It's just that you always seem to imply your Ultrasone are WAY better than anything else out there (i.e. "the others were second place to my Ultrasone Proline 750") and this attitude is what I question.

In my mind, there is no doubt that a DT990-2005 will TROUNCE my DT770 and that's why I'm looking to upgrate. I never felt like I held up the DT770 as the best headphone in the world, but for presenting me the audio as it is, I think they are much better than other cans and they do it for me.

About the fact that your want to compare the models and inform the community, what you could do, maybe, is try all models, take some notes and then write a good detailed review of your findings in a new thread. When writing this review, try to be objective. You sound a lot like you are partial to Ultrasone to me. It's like "yeah I love Ultrasone so I'm going to push them all the way in my review" but I don't think the world is as black and white as that.

Also, what I said in the other thread concerns that particular thread and not this one. I'm not angry in any other way except some technical aspects of audio that many don't seem to grasp.[/QUOTE]

Philco, Here is my reply:

I actually like the sound of the 770 Pro. I have always said that all of this is simply a matter of personal taste. And, all I was saying was that I, speaking solely for myself, preferred the sound of the Pro 750's. Indeed, if I would have not discovered them, I probably would have purchased the 770's. And, even at that, I preferred the sound of the 990's to the 770's but I had more of a need for a closed headphone.
You will notice in my posts when I write about Ultrasone headphones that the only ones I write about in regards to their sound and their performance are the Pro (Proline) 750's, 2500's and 650's. I do not write about the other Ultrasone headphones because I have never heard them, unless, of course, if I'm asking a question about them. And, of the three Ultrasones I've heard, I like them in varying degrees.
Sometime I will do a review, comparing a number of headphones. And, I promise to be impartial. I have one challenge to that impartiality: I like the Pro 750's sound stage. I will want to go beyond that to judge other areas of the sounds of the different headphones. I've done this once but I have come to realize that there were factors that I did not take into consideration such as "burn-in" time (I find no reference to it in my notes).
There certainly is a lot of differing opinions about the Pro 750. Another headphone that has strong differing opinions is the AKG K701. My opinion is that I like it's accurate sound. The only minor dislike I have for it is the sound of it's low end which has never seemed strong enough to me. Where the opinions of others is concerned, I have seen comments on the K701 which varied from comments such as "great, my favorite..." to a comment contained in a PM from another Head-Fi member recently where the K701's sound was described as "lack luster". My point here goes back to the idea that, it's all a matter of personal taste and what causes people to be so different in their tastes is a very interesting question.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #59 of 67
I find when listening to genres making more use of bass, particularly around the 60-70hz mid-rangy (lol) bass such as electronic aren't reproduced how the track would sound in the environment the producer/s would want with higher-end headphones.

Darth Beyers (so also to an extent standard DT770/80s) are the only ones that have come close (that i've tried), they sound ****ing amazing for urban/electronic music like i've said before. I know as a reference headphone it really shouldn't even be considered but it's bass reponse is unlike anything else if you make are mixing that kind of music..

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find when listening to genres making more use of bass, particularly around the 60-70hz mid-rangy (lol) bass such as electronic aren't reproduced how the track would sound in the environment the producer/s would want with higher-end headphones.

Darth Beyers (so also to an extent standard DT770/80s) are the only ones that have come close (that i've tried), they sound ****ing amazing for urban/electronic music like i've said before. I know as a reference headphone it really shouldn't even be considered but it's bass reponse is unlike anything else if you make are mixing that kind of music..

Just out of curiosity, what other headphones have you tried and how were they inferior to the darthed beyerdynamics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back