What are the best closed can headphones in 2020 for bassheads, that don't need an amp, under $500?
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

deafmutelame

100+ Head-Fier
I like a tight bass and a deep sub-bass, while not shadowing the middle and high frequencies. These would be used to listen to electronic music mostly (psytrance, trance, house...).

Ideally from a not too exotic brand, as I'm living in Europe and they might be hard to get here.

My budget is between $300 and $500.

What are your recommendations?

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Is the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open available in your area? Love the bass response on those as it goes deep.

Correct me if I'm wrong but those are OPEN, not closed, right?

Do you mean the Aeon Flow 2 CLOSED?

https://danclarkaudio.com/headphones-22/aeon/aeon-flow-2-closed.html

I need them not to leak sound to the outside, for I'd use them in a library.

Have you tested these against other hp?

At $800 they are $300 beyond my top budget, UNLESS they truly would deserve to save for them.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Towards the lower end of your budget the meze 99 classics/noir have a pretty good bass thump while not sounding overly bloated

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Try one of these -
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
  • Fostex TH-X00
  • Meze 99 Classics
  • Ultrasone PRO 900
All of these headphones produce a thumping bass line that will drive dance music well.

IMO, only the Aeon 2 Closed sounds reasonably good for a basshead. The original, the Aeon Flow Closed, does not have enough muscle in the lows to bring dance music to life. However, the Aeon 2 Closed has an MSRP of $900.

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 9
I recommend fostex TH headphones and the Sony Z7 as mentioned above. If you can find the Audio technica pro 700 mk2, they are also praised for its bass.
Yes, +1 for the PRO700MK2. It's a little difficult to get ahold of a new set, though, since they have been discontinued for a few years now. But if it's deep, rumbling bass you want, the PRO700MK2 does that well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back