What are the benefits of a 'stepped attenuator'?
Apr 2, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #16 of 20
Iron_Dreamer,

I think most of the complaints regarding his stepped attenuators are about popping noises when turning the shaft. Some say theirs is perfectly quiet, whereas some say theirs is unbearable. I don't know what attributes to this difference in experience, perhaps some of the rotary switches were not make-before-break but still looked the same on the outside or something...?

Anyway, do you have an annoying popping between levels, or is yours very quiet?

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #18 of 20
Wow, that's really encouraging! I have actually asked the seller if I can purchase the switches only and he said he would supply them for $11 each. (has been mentioned in a previous DIY thread)

He said that he has ordered them and will put an eBay auction for them, so I will keep all of you updated when that happens.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 20
*jumps into the fray*

So what would be the difference between ladder and stepped?

I just purchased a V2SE w/ 100k ladder attenuator.... how would the sound from this vary from a, say, 36-step stepped attenuator?

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #20 of 20
I've got both a DACT CT2 attenuator and the "KYC111" attenuator and I can say that while the KYC111 unit is a well built , quality unit, the DACT definitely has a more transparent sound. Plus, the switches used by the DACT result in very smooth and silent operation. The DACT may cost more than twice as much, but there's no way I'll use the KYC111 in its place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back