What are some of the best maximum $80 over-ear headphones that don't leak much?
Apr 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
My maximum budget is $80, and I want some crisp and clear neutral sounding over-ear comfortable headphone with not TOO much bass, but still quite a lot of bass. They also shouldn't leak a lot. I want to have them on my head for 2 hours, and they shouldn't hurt my ears or head. I own a AKG K540 right now, and I definately think it's a very bad headphone for the price of $100.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 44
Creative Aurvana Live!

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 44
^Nope, but I am certain you can find 1 if you do a search

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:
^Nope, but I am certain you can find 1 if you do a search

I actually read a lot of reviews of them, and I'm coming to the conclusion that they're very good for the money, but the issues they have is that; the bass isn't well defined, it's kind of muddy, vocals are slightly recessed on tracks with a lot of layers, highs are slightly harsh. Do you own them yourself? If so, are the things that I stated above true? Please give me your input.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 44
^Sorrily I don't. The general consensus is that they are very good for the money. Else you could also look into something like the JVC HA-S500 

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:
I actually read a lot of reviews of them, and I'm coming to the conclusion that they're very good for the money, but the issues they have is that; the bass isn't well defined, it's kind of muddy, vocals are slightly recessed on tracks with a lot of layers, highs are slightly harsh. Do you own them yourself? If so, are the things that I stated above true? Please give me your input.

I owned them for a brief while, and your conclusion is pretty accurate. 
Too much bass for my taste, kind of muddy too, vocals slightly recessed,
but I found the top to be OK; pretty well defined and not harsh. 
The build quality is somewhat flimsy.

In your price range, my top picks are
the Sony MDR V6, the AKG K240 Studio
(semi-open so there is some leakage but not too much),
and if you can stretch it about $25.00, I've seen the AT ATH-M50
at night on Amazon for $105 shipped. 

Without thinking about it a whole lot, I'd go for the V6.
Excellent headphones for money and if/when you want to move up
you can always sell them most easily.  They have an outstanding rep
among musicians and studio personnel - with good reason.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 44
akg k240 studio would be my pick at that price if you can accept some leakage from semi-open cans. They are my pick for most comfortable can under 2 bills and have a natural and nuetral sound. The bass is decent but the mids are its strong point.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 44
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:
I owned them for a brief while, and your conclusion is pretty accurate. 
Too much bass for my taste, kind of muddy too, vocals slightly recessed,
but I found the top to be OK; pretty well defined and not harsh. 
The build quality is somewhat flimsy.

In your price range, my top picks are
the Sony MDR V6, the AKG K240 Studio
(semi-open so there is some leakage but not too much),
and if you can stretch it about $25.00, I've seen the AT ATH-M50
at night on Amazon for $105 shipped. 

Without thinking about it a whole lot, I'd go for the V6.
Excellent headphones for money and if/when you want to move up
you can always sell them most easily.  They have an outstanding rep
among musicians and studio personnel - with good reason.

Alright thanks for your input. How do the CAL's perform with commentaries? Are the vocals clear? And those headphones you mentioned are out of my budget in the country where I live.
Quote:
akg k240 studio would be my pick at that price if you can accept some leakage from semi-open cans. They are my pick for most comfortable can under 2 bills and have a natural and nuetral sound. The bass is decent but the mids are its strong point.

Thanks for your input, but they're out of my budget.
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/full-size-headphone-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

There's always that thread.  You sure you did research?  Kinda hard to miss that.

For a good all around CAL's are fine.  M50's are good too....JVC HA-RX700 or  HA-RX900 are good starter full size cans.  stretch your budget to get t50rp's for 100 and you will not be disappointed.

I heard that the Creative Aurvana Live! destroys the JVC HA-RX700 in terms of sound quality, is that true?

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:
Alright thanks for your input. How do the CAL's perform with commentaries? Are the vocals clear? And those headphones you mentioned are out of my budget in the country where I live.
Thanks for your input, but they're out of my budget.

Commentaries - do you mean spoken word sources, like audiobooks or similar?

Those generally aren't 'high fidelity', meaning in part that they have compressed dynamics,
rolled off bass, rolled off treble, and other issues as well.

They're simply not recorded with the care and equipment used for music -
again, in general.

So I think the CAL will be fine for your needs assuming I'm correct in my definition of "commentaries".
And many less expensive headphones would also suffice for this purpose.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Commentaries - do you mean spoken word sources, like audiobooks or similar?

Those generally aren't 'high fidelity', meaning in part that they have compressed dynamics,
rolled off bass, rolled off treble, and other issues as well.

They're simply not recorded with the care and equipment used for music -
again, in general.

So I think the CAL will be fine for your needs assuming I'm correct in my definition of "commentaries".
And many less expensive headphones would also suffice for this purpose.

I mean like Call of Duty commentaries on youtube, where people talk over Call of Duty gameplay with high quality mics, where vocals are very important. So if I understood correctly, the Creative Aurvana Live! isn't a very good headphone for my needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back