What are Reference Recordings good for?
Nov 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

TheDreamthinker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I am almost 100% sure, that i'm in the wrong forum, and feel free to move this thread.

I just downloaded some cd called "XLO & Reference Recordings Test And Burn-In CD".....what is it actually good for?
how does it work?

Thanks Head-Fi community

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 25
While there is no such thing as a perfect recording, some are better than others, and it just helps to have a "reference" to judge how your gear handles a piano or violin for instance.  If on these reference recordings you rig sounds more accurate, then you know your on the right track.  Then you can make subtle or not so subtle changes with tube, cables or vibration control to alter the sound to be a bit wormer or cooler to your taste.  

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 25
So they're just there for hearing imperfections in the sound

kinda.

can't u simply use some other hq recording?

Yup!

Can they be used for headphones/iems too?

Yes.

So they're just there for hearing imperfections in the sound.....can't u simply use some other hq recording?

Can they be used for headphones/iems too?

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 25
The "best" you can put onto a computer is basically unlimited resolution, (as long as your media player supports it and your DAC).  The Test CD is limited to 16/44 which is what you should burn it as on your computer.  Then using a media player, take your pick, play back the burned CD.  This gives you 16/44 resolution and the tracks can show what you system does well, and maybe not so well.  Whether you use it on speakers or headphones, be they full sized cans or IEM doesn't matter.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 25
Reference recording invented HDCD and Keith johnson has recorded the best classical recordings  have ever heard. The burn in disc will let you know what is strong and weak in your system. It is designed to help yu find out where your system is weak and where it needs help and also will show how strong the systems as well., If you never heard any of Reference Recordings CD you owe yourself the treat. I have never heard any orchestra recorded better. XLO is a cable manuf who designed the disc with Keith johnson. There records are available on line and I have avout 50-60 of them all very very good. Professor John also has designed most of Spectral amps and digital gear with the MIT cables.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 25
Sorry for the noob question.....

16/44= x kbps?

The problem is, i only downloaded it as flac...i don't have the original cd.....
wink_face.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 25
Yes they can.  mp3s only dominate the music field it seems because they are much smaller files and download of sites like itunes much faster.  However, the capacity of portable players is on the rise, and internet speeds are getting faster and faster, so one hopes that eventually we will see the death of mp3s all together.  

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 25
We have a couple of topics going on... LIke "Frank I" said, Reference Recordings produce some of the best classical recordings you're likely to ever hear. On a highly resolve system they are nothing short of breathtaking. 

Re the CD in question, this was a joint venture with the cabling company XLO and Prof. Kieth Johnson. It includes material that helps set up your hi-fi sytem including speaker phase, room placement and some great examples of music from RR. You might think the burn-in or the demag tracks are controversial, especially for the "cables don't make a difference crowd," but they can't hurt when run in the way designated by the instructions. At least give it a whirl. (Obviously, the whole purpose of the CD is to sell cable and music. Wink. Wink. 
wink_face.gif
)  

Here are some articles about Prof. K.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/features/20090201.htm

http://www.referencerecordings.com/about.asp

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 25
I love the XLO disc. Its one of my frequently used discs for new speakers and amps. The burn in track is very useful to leave overnight. The phase tests are useful for a quick check to test connections. The soundstage tracks are useful for speaker placement, distance from walls, toe in, etc. Overall this is one of the more useful demo cd's I've obtained.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 25
Track 6 "Prof Johnson does something spatial",he is quite descriptive and explains what he is doing and what you should be hearing. These work especially well with speakers.

Oh and the tracks towards the end are good as well. Not just for testing, but they are actually good to listen to. I especially like Shiny Stockings. That track is fun to listen to and has incredible dynamic range. Sure to knock your socks off!

The Polka and Fugue track is a good classical piece as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back