What are Reference Recordings good for?
Dec 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 25
It wasn't designed for headphones. The clap tracks, for example are pretty much useless for headphones other than to hear the panning effect. However, you'll still hear what amazing recordings RR produces. Still, I believe the other tracks are useful and informative.

A recording demonstrating headphones would be the Head-Fi/HDTracks demo from Chesky here: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=artistdetail&id=8817.

It has a very nice compilation of Chesky recordings that are on par with RR. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #18 of 25
I've a couple of cd rips from STAX, if they were made exclusively for electrostatic HP's listening I don't know. I doubt it since you can't move the HP's around your head to get better sound-stage - listening to it thru speakers as I type. I'm not that huge on classical music - but this is pretty awesome. it's more like a full blown orchestra; big sound; lot's of instruments going on; it must be breathtaking with a top Stax system.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #20 of 25
I use some of the "controversial" burn-in and demagnetizing tracks. Then, I listen for pure enjoyment. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #22 of 25
Hi, I have a question bothering me since long.. The test tracks on the XLO CD have a phase in and a phase out track where in phase in the speakers are supposed to image right in the centre and in the phase out the imaging should be hazy.... However in case of these tracks, my speakers do the complete opposite... Is it me or do I need to change something in the connections ?

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #23 of 25
Hi, I have a question bothering me since long.. The test tracks on the XLO CD have a phase in and a phase out track where in phase in the speakers are supposed to image right in the centre and in the phase out the imaging should be hazy.... However in case of these tracks, my speakers do the complete opposite... Is it me or do I need to change something in the connections ?
Check the polarity of your speaker cables. Be certain the positive lead from the amplifier is connected to the positive input on the speaker (and vice versa the negative is feeding the negative). The cable will be marked in some way, such as writing on the cable. The marking should be in the positive side at both the amplifier end and the speaker end. Do this for both cables and try the test again.

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #24 of 25
Already done it sir.. Have even tried mixing it up but the result is the same.. Which is why I am highly confused as to what it could be... Could it be anything wrong inside the amplifier ?

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 25
I have not come across such a setup. Bipolar speakers may make the diffuse (out of phase) and direct (in phase) sound similar. In fact I have had audio calibration equipment suggest that the phase was not correct, while I was still able to verify by ear (and to check the cables) to ensure a correct connection. It was a more-vague and less-vague sound. And I was certainly able to get the less-vague, direct sound to correlate with the in phase part of the test track, by switching just the offending cable on the speaker that was out of phase.

Sorry, I have not encountered what you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back